Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20240229_091538658.thumb.jpg.3360316aad0a5c674ab74fea45fc4fab.jpg

Rather than buy a whole new composer desk setup, I found a local craftsman (David Laake AudioWorks) who built a second tier for me, and a keyboard tray, for my existing corner-desk. After 40 years, I can finally just have everything ready to use, whenever the need strikes!

• Like 5

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

4 hours ago, Brad Kaenel said:

Rather than buy a whole new composer desk setup, I found a local craftsman (David Laake AudioWorks) who built a second tier for me, and a keyboard tray, for my existing corner-desk. After 40 years, I can finally just have everything ready to use, whenever the need strikes!

Work of art. Is that a remarkably pristine 1st-gen Microsoft Natural Keyboard? (c. 1995 iirc)

Cheers, Mike.

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Work of art. Is that a remarkably pristine 1st-gen Microsoft Natural Keyboard? (c. 1995 iirc)

Yessir, it certainly is. That keyboard, and Logitech thumb-trackballs, saved me from carpal tunnel 20 years ago, and I've never used anything else since. Always felt sorry for techs at work, or anyone in my office, who sat down to use my computer: "What is this weirdo mouse you have? And how do you even type on this, this THING??!"

I've had several, and they're unicorns -- especially the white ones. Hope I never have to replace it!

6 hours ago, Brad Kaenel said:

Yessir, it certainly is

I remember we got a sample at work in about 1995. It went round every desk in the department, staying for a couple of days until its user gave up - until it arrived on mine. I held on to it - offered to give it back when I moved on and they said "keep it". Took it with me to my next job, and it's somewhere in my cellar at the moment, minus a Z keycap. (I've used various ergonomic successors over the years...)

Cheers, Mike.

My rig from last night

LiveRig.thumb.jpg.effbad1dee694b83d34378f7dd2523f8.jpg

• Like 3
  • Cool 1
  • Love 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

4 hours ago, Justin Havu said:

My rig from last night

LiveRig.thumb.jpg.effbad1dee694b83d34378f7dd2523f8.jpg

I love that you are using that kind of a rig for what appears to be a church event. I’ve done 4 boards once or twice (well, 3 plus a grand piano), but it’s never been that synth heavy. Very cool.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Coffeehouse/concert event.  I love playing a big rig like this.  With as many sounds as I use, it's a bit easier for me to have some real estate than to change patches during a song.  I've also never been a fan of splitting the keyboard.  I'm an improv guy that never really plays the same thing twice, and unless I trigger a couple of one-shot samples from either end of the keyboard, I can never remember where the split point is.  I'd rather focus on playing during a song than doing a bunch of patch changes in the middle of one.  Plus, hauling this kind of setup around helps keep me in shape.  Lol

The two Behringers and DX7 are merely for playing bass, as we don't currently have a bass player.  2600 is MIDI'd to the DX7, with which I use a couple of different patches, one being the obligatory E. BASS 1 patch.  Then, I just have a different bass patch dialed into the Oddy.

• Like 2

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

image.thumb.png.75329fa32c9851c5ab4669a920aa89bd.png

This is me last weekend.

Shown: NS4C, NP5 as midi controller, PM-16 personal mixer, open-back headphones, Spider Pro stand

Not shown: three pedals, X32 Rack, pre-amps.

It's a simple, light and clean-looking setup that does everything well. 

All the sound processing for keys is done by the NS4, e.g. compression, EQ. 

It's a total blast to play live.  Zero upgrades planned.

• Like 7

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• 2 weeks later...

Behringer XR18 digital mixer.  Using it to sum everything down to a pair of XLR stereo outs, no DI boxes needed.

Hardware

Software

6 hours ago, TommyRude said:

Lotta firepower there, good deal!  What's the unit at the back?  Looks like part mixer, part module(s) of some kind?

4 hours ago, Justin Havu said:

Behringer XR18 digital mixer.  Using it to sum everything down to a pair of XLR stereo outs, no DI boxes needed.

Is that this (I couldn't see an obvious XR18 )?

Screenshot2024-03-17at8_11_34PM.png.8572b476a0f808fa143b606823b17631.png

I thought he was asking about your Behringer 2600 in the back when he mentioned mixing controls and modular features, which the XR18 doesn't have.

Screenshot2024-03-17at8_12_08PM.png.4a0a3b6cab638ef5e62f49b9d55210a2.png

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

2 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Is that this (I couldn't see an obvious XR18 )?

I thought he was asking about your Behringer 2600 in the back when he mentioned mixing controls and modular features, which the XR18 doesn't have.

Yeah the big colorful one!  Got it, Behringer 2600.  Man, you’re really bringing it at this gig 👍😁

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

IMG_20240318_013843-01.thumb.jpeg.f80113a8e8479f590020e453683345d5.jpeg

Setting up, preparing, and rehearsing for the first session, in about two weeks, with the band I am starting to play with. Having a little walkthrough with the singer next week to start with.

Standard "classic" Top 40 stuff, a lot of blues/soul, great start after having been away from this for 15+ years, I'm seriously excited!!

Waiting for the K&M laptop shelf add-on, for the B4D, to arrive, early April the reseller tells me, so meanwhile using a tripod laptop stand I had lying around.

• Like 5
  • Cool 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

10 hours ago, TommyRude said:

Yeah the big colorful one!  Got it, Behringer 2600.  Man, you’re really bringing it at this gig 👍😁

Ah, when you said in the back, I thought you were talking about the XR18 on the floor, as in the back of the photo, not the back of the rig.  Lol.

The whole left side, and the 2600, is pretty much bass land, since I cover bass in addition to main keys.

2600 is MIDI'd to the DX7, which is set to the ever-popular E BASS 1 patch, and the 2600 adds a bit of extra meat to that.  Oddy was dialed in with a patch similar to a fretless bass.

Hardware

Software

As I am trying to incorporate a Maschine to my rig (probably in the form of a Mikro unit), this is the proof-of-concept studio setup including my Mk3. I have added some tall rubber bumpers to the Maschine, so it sits comfortably over the VPC1

IMG_20240319_222848_630.thumb.jpg.ee2591566df421ddbedb6dd244669a77.jpg

And a more general view of that corner:

IMG_20240319_221517.thumb.jpg.069bab43910f4734e87af6c537d71ea0.jpg

Now I just need to learn the Maschine 😅

Jose

• Like 7
  • Cool 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2023 at 6:21 AM, UnderGroundGr said:

Reface YC and CP on a custom made double stand!

1703584040515605.thumb.jpg.897b7642450f888e0a811fdced7de9d1.jpgIMG_0703.thumb.jpeg.6593cdbc0445a624cdf315bb63e62c46.jpeg

Now there's a real "Tiny Desk" concert!

How 'bout this one: Arturia MiniLab3 and iPad 6 Mini ("Look ma, no power cord!")

IMG_20240328_153514732.thumb.jpg.93934b3937482335988c53f2984cbe15.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/20/2024 at 7:00 AM, Jose EB5AGV said:

As I am trying to incorporate a Maschine to my rig (probably in the form of a Mikro unit), this is the proof-of-concept studio setup including my Mk3. I have added some tall rubber bumpers to the Maschine, so it sits comfortably over the VPC1

A guy I played with last summer used a Maschine, he loved it.  Used it primarily to trigger various samples.

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

3 hours ago, JamPro said:

@Rustar - tell us your experience with that Behringer hot-spot monitor - how is that working for you?  What genre of music does your band play?

If that is a B-205D, I can say mine saved me on a pop/rock gig in an small venue when my amplifier died at about 30% of the gig time. It is an small but surprisingly powerful monitor. YMMV

• Like 1

My updated Gig Rig. FP-30x used for note entry only. The controller on the left is an Atemp MC-1. All sounds are VSTi's with Gig Performer as a host. Instead of a Laptop, I have a touchscreen mounted right in front of me on top of the FP-30x and a NUC mini PC mounted on the pedal board. Lightweight, small footprint and very easy / quick setup / tear down. 1 iPad runs the mixer app to control my IEMs. The other runs Unrealbook. I have charts for everything, but typically don't need them. The charts primarily send program changes to the NUC to call up different Rackspaces on GP.

By the way, for anyone interested... I use iPads for nothing other than Unrealbook and M-32 (mixer app for the IEMs). Both run just fine on iPad 3s. You can buy iPad 3s for about $30 on ebay. I have 4 of them.

GigRig24.thumb.jpg.2249964fd513d2da2ac38b2a16cfa380.jpg

• Like 8
  • Cool 2

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

On 3/20/2024 at 9:00 AM, Jose EB5AGV said:

IMG_20240319_222848_630.thumb.jpg.ee2591566df421ddbedb6dd244669a77.jpg

And a more general view of that corner:

IMG_20240319_221517.thumb.jpg.069bab43910f4734e87af6c537d71ea0.jpg

Jose

Wow!   Great Setup Jose!!!  What a great Space!!   It seems like just a short time ago you were posting about playing your first gigs.  Was that just live, or have you advanced equally far with your home studio?    Super impressive either way! 

Can you post any photos of your shack?    I just picked up an FTDX-101D and am working getting the shack and antennas set up after many years of inactivity.  Fortunately have a couple acres! 

• Like 1

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

14 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Wow!   Great Setup Jose!!!  What a great Space!!   It seems like just a short time ago you were posting about playing your first gigs.  Was that just live, or have you advanced equally far with your home studio?    Super impressive either way! 

Can you post any photos of your shack?    I just picked up an FTDX-101D and am working getting the shack and antennas set up after many years of inactivity.  Fortunately have a couple acres! 

Thanks for your nice comments. That is one of my home setups, the one I use to practice piano when not using my Yamaha U3H, and also to do some Cubase work or test my MONTAGE/MODX patches.

Yes, my first gig was on July 2022. But don't be fooled by the gear, I am a lots worse player than it may allow. But, well, there are some advances 😉

About the radio station, it is quite the opposite, gear wise. My best rig is an FTdx-5000, which is also nice, but in fact that keyboard setup reduced in half my radio station. The music hobby has displaced the radio one. As I am all day fixing radios as my main job, it is also a way to disconnect from that.

73 Jose EB5AGV 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...