Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some Guru with Slum Village so it must be a Dilla beat.      

Also anyone from WLA will probably remember the original location of Record Surplus a great place to get used vinyl and CD's.  It was one my favorite places to go when I had nothing to do and just browse thru the CD's, they had some CD players with headphones to checkout the music before you bought it.  So seeing Record Surplus in  this video brought back a lot of good memories. 

One ear will love it,

Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

Some one posted Duke Ellington. Here's my favorite and it immediately took me back.

I remember the Larry King radio show in the late 80's-early 90's used this version of "Duke's Place" as his sign-off, where he would talk about going to Duke Zeibert's fancy restaurant in D.C....and say what was on the menu for tonight (always some great filet mignon or oysters Rockefeller or something like that).

Great memories of me driving home from 6-night-a-week hotel gigs at 2 a.m., listening to Larry King interviewing celebrities and politicians on the car radio in the dark, pre-internet and pre-satellite radio, with nothing but faraway stations cutting through the black star-filled Ohio night in the static, smelling the bar smoke and sweat on my sportcoat airing out on the passenger seat next to me. Ah, to be a young 20-something full-time gigging musician again, thinking I was the king of the world for playing music full-time, and that my little hotel gig was like a residency at Carnegie Hall! I miss that top-of-the-world feeling with every fiber of my being as I've recently turned sixty. Thanks for the memory.

• Like 2

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Watched this movie on Yuja then watched her performance of the Rach 3rd. At the end her eyes tearing down her face. 

I'll tell ya, she's a gift for the planet on what a person can do with hard work and talent. 

I guess this was maybe performed live in Europe on TV? If so, they have more brains then in the US where they'd rather show crap reality shows.

It doesn't get more real than this. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 7:59 PM, jazzpiano88 said:

Things Ain't What They Used To Be.    Piano doesn't get much better.

I love Dave G - always nice to hear an arranger who is a strong player. Tunes aren't just an excuse to blow, they put real thought into crafting an arrangement/setting for their playing. Bob James is the same, although he is usually doing that in a small group/trio setting these days. Here's a few examples from him:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jerrythek said:

I love Dave G - always nice to hear an arranger who is a strong player. Tunes aren't just an excuse to blow, they put real thought into crafting an arrangement/setting for their playing. Bob James is the same, although he is usually doing that in a small group/trio setting these days. Here's a few examples from him:

From what I've read Dave had a lengthy and fortuitous journeyman journey working under some great arrangers.   This seems to be a theme of a lot of great arrangers and writers.    They soak it up by experience and then make it their own with their own voice.    Both Bob and Dave are unmistakable when you hear them play as well.

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Terrace Martin keys and sax from Herbie Hancock's pre covid band, add Robert Glasper who with Terrace have been working with Herbie on an album and do a good Soul sound tune.  Oh yes, with some Kamasi Washington on sax too.   Gonna be a groovin' Saturday night, enjoy all. 

• Love 1

On 2/23/2024 at 12:16 PM, kpl1228 said:

Some one posted Duke Ellington. Here's my favorite and it immediately took me back.

I remember the Larry King radio show in the late 80's-early 90's used this version of "Duke's Place" as his sign-off, where he would talk about going to Duke Zeibert's fancy restaurant in D.C....and say what was on the menu for tonight (always some great filet mignon or oysters Rockefeller or something like that).

Great memories of me driving home from 6-night-a-week hotel gigs at 2 a.m., listening to Larry King interviewing celebrities and politicians on the car radio in the dark, pre-internet and pre-satellite radio, with nothing but faraway stations cutting through the black star-filled Ohio night in the static, smelling the bar smoke and sweat on my sportcoat airing out on the passenger seat next to me. Ah, to be a young 20-something full-time gigging musician again, thinking I was the king of the world for playing music full-time, and that my little hotel gig was like a residency at Carnegie Hall! I miss that top-of-the-world feeling with every fiber of my being as I've recently turned sixty. Thanks for the memory.

Wow, similar memories for me except it was coming home from part time gigs Fri-Sun and I’m 61 :)    DXing in the car was something.  Made be want to learn French with all the Canadian stations I’d hear.  It’s pretty neat that most car AM radio antenna combinations could pull in the far away stations whereas at home you’d usually need an outside antenna to avoid all the other RF interference.  Some vehicle brands are eliminating AM Radio unfortunately.  Great memories!

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 2/16/2024 at 10:28 AM, Theo Verelst said:

From the Blues Brothers in Bob's country bunker, this is the song played by Bob (or his wife) when the good ol' blues brothers come in:

It took me a while to find the proper original..

TV

Love it!  Here’s a list of all 31 tunes and clips from the movie:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/hg3300/songs_used_in_the_blues_brothers/

I think this is my favorite near the start of the movie:

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

17 hours ago, jerrythek said:

Speaking of arranging, there has been a trend of moving from the "Poppier" arrangements of the 80's/90's to a more acoustic sound. This happened to Bob James, David Benoit, Russell Ferrante and many others.

While there's nothing wrong with a simpler setup, my ears get bored after a while. It's like stripping away the seasoning from a prime rib.

Nostalgia perhaps, but the original version of Restoration is more enjoyable for me personally.

On 2/25/2024 at 2:48 AM, jazzpiano88 said:

Love it!  Here’s a list of all 31 tunes and clips from the movie:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/hg3300/songs_used_in_the_blues_brothers/

I think this is my favorite near the start of the movie:

Fix the cigarette lighter!

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Brings together a few KC topics:

- "greatest pianists of the ___ generation" (Aaron Parks was on the You'll Hear It millennial list, which is why I ended up watching this)

- Barry Harris concepts. It's cool to hear them discussed and demonstrated by a young, accomplished, modern-sounding pianist. He goes deep!

- metronome practice. I haven't seen a good argument about this on KC for a while, maybe because IMissRichardTee isn't around. Aaron talks about a fun version (metronome at 60 bpm, divide it into 3 beats, then play in 4/4 at that tempo so the click keeps changing to a different beat).

- Casio stage piano with very shallow action. He makes it sound amazing, of course.

Overall a nice interview for us jazz piano geeks.

• Like 1

So taken a trip back to the mid 60's and my friends and I went to the local club and heard the Mandela from Canada.   There music was so different from the typical rock and roll, we were hooked instantly and went to hear the Mandela every time they were in town.   That where we first heard a 7#9 chord before Hendrix and what we called "off beats" on the drums.  They had quite an influence on us.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Been a big Metheny fan since I heard Yolanda You Learn on a transatlantic flight on headphones in the 80s.  Got back home, I bought First Circle and over time, just about everything else.   But I never dug into Metheny's backstory much - I knew he was with Gary Burton as a very young dude, that's about it.

So now I've been digging - bunch of great YTs from Oslo in the 70s with Burton, Swallow, PM, various drummers.  And in PM's interview with Beato, he mentions how important Swallow's tune Falling Grace was to him (and a lot of other people, apparently.)   And Burton's Duster album (1967! hard to believe!) with Coryell, Swallow, and Haynes.  One link leads to another - so in this age of access to so much video and audio, I'm just super pumped to be learning about and listening/watching the very seeds and roots of what would become the Metheny thing.  My birthdate is within months of Metheny's and my birthplace was just over the Missouri border in Illinois.  So I get his vibe to some extent from similarities in background.  

What's going on with Corea, Jarrett, et al, in the same time frame is another encyclopedia entirely....later, if I live that long.  

Wot larks

nat

• Cool 1

Yolanda You Learn is great!   Pierre Piscatelli has done a transcription of it in his book The Music of Lyle Mays.  I’d like to try it out sometime.  

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3