Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

Deodato released this homage to the 2001 movie.   Recorded in Sept 1972 with Billy Cobbham on drums and Stanley Clark on bass.  CT producing.

Always gives me chills.    First time I heard Sweet Home Alabama piano solo as a kid, I said, "wait a minute".

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the other end of the spectrum from AC/DC:  recently I was introduced to the music of Canadian "new classical minimalist" composer Linda Catlin Smith (who just happened to attend the same university as me, at approx the same time, although she really went with it, whereas I dropped out after a year and a half to pursue jazz and popular music - University of Victoria, BC, studying with composer Rudolf Komoros).   She's really done well, and I love what I've heard so far.

(I put quotes around 'new classical minimalist' because I'm not sure if that's how Ms. Catlin would describe her music.  It seems in the minimalist camp to me, though.)

• Like 1

Most of you guy grew up playing classical music, but me growing up going to Venice High School I grew up on different Classics,  Motown.  As I've heard people say studying Motown records is a Master Class in Rhythm section playing.    So here one of my all time favorite Motown tunes done by Joan Osborne with the remaining Funk Brothers from the movie Standing in the Shadows of Motown.   Of course I took the electives classes in Stax Records too.   I remember I think it was John Lennon saying they were fans of Motown and that he was blown away with the snare drum sound.   He said the snare was so powerful it sounded like they were hitting it with a tree trunk.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"The Story of the Elka Synthex" on YouTube. Especially engaging, as I've been using the Cherry Audio version in 'heavy rotation.' I never laid hands to the one I saw on display, but it feels like all of the good in 80s polys and none of the bad. Great instrument.

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

I honestly think this band had superstar written all over them, there for the taking. But bad management, change of record companies, and poor executive decision making doomed them. I sincerely think they're circling the drain after several years of spinning their wheels, but they are the best new live band I've heard in 20 years, and if this is a last-ditch effort, they crushed it, it's brilliant. Hooks for days, singalong chorus etc. But too little, too late, I fear. That and it's not 1975 anymore.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

I've long been a fan of Chick Corea. I'm really tired of music that's a "chops-fest", but over the years, Chick and co mellowed out. It's still chops-heavy, but it's mellow at the same time. They're so good at it, they can relax, there's no strain, which makes it sound calmer. Like this concert in 2004 at Montreux. I liked the call-and-response between Chick and the audience, it starts at 10:37. It must be fun to have a musically-literate audience that can sing the licks perfectly.   ( well, actually, near-perfectly, but close enough🙂)

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 9:47 AM, Floyd Tatum said:

I've long been a fan of Chick Corea. I'm really tired of music that's a "chops-fest", but over the years, Chick and co mellowed out. It's still chops-heavy, but it's mellow at the same time. They're so good at it, they can relax, there's no strain, which makes it sound calmer. Like this concert in 2004 at Montreux. I liked the call-and-response between Chick and the audience, it starts at 10:37. It must be fun to have a musically-literate audience that can sing the licks perfectly.   ( well, actually, near-perfectly, but close enough🙂)

It's weird quoting yourself 🙂   Re: Spain, I thought it was a little odd hearing sax on that tune, even if it was Eric Marienthal.   Just for the h-e-double-hockeysticks of it, I listened to the original Light As A Feather version, I hadn't listened to it in years.   I remembered that Joe Farrell played flute and sax on LAAF, but wasn't positive he played flute on that tune, but yeah, he did.  I also noticed, which I had forgotten, how much distortion there was on Chick's Rhodes on the record.   When you hear that Youtube vid, there's no distortion, that I can hear.  When I saw the Elektric band in the 90's, the cleanness and quality of the live sound was impressive.  I'm pretty sure Chick wasn't into Rhodes distortion after (or soon after) LAAF.   Maybe it was that record that made up his mind.   That feather wasn't so light after all.   🙂

• Like 1

New Andre 3000 album.  Yes he was a famous rapper in the past, but these days he seems to be more into playing flute and wind synth, and jamming with avant-garde jazz musos.   Lineup:

Andre - flutes, wind synth (likely a Roland Aerophone)

Nate Mercereau - guitar/guitar synth

Surya Botofasina - keyboards

Carlos Nino - percussion

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

New Andre 3000 album.  Yes he was a famous rapper in the past, but these days he seems to be more into playing flute and wind synth, and jamming with avant-garde jazz musos.   Lineup:

Andre - flutes, wind synth (likely a Roland Aerophone)

Nate Mercereau - guitar/guitar synth

Surya Botofasina - keyboards

Carlos Nino - percussion

Been listening to this a bunch lately as well, it reminds me of the lighter sides of those great '70's Pharoah Sanders albums. I think it's awesome that he chose to return to recording after so long with something as cool and strange as this album.

My current earworm is these guys, Tomorrow Comes the Harvest, with legendary Detroit DJ Jeff Mills, keyboardist Jean Phi Dary and Tabla master Prabhu Edouard. Really digging Dary's Rhodes and synth work here, he sounds great. I like how Mills' rhythm tracks are constantly shifting and evolving.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow