Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

Susanne Sundfør - Mountaineers, What's up with Scandinavians and talent just not fair!

• Wow! 1
Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/21/2023 at 1:54 PM, GovernorSilver said:

New Andre 3000 album.  Yes he was a famous rapper in the past, but these days he seems to be more into playing flute and wind synth, and jamming with avant-garde jazz musos.   Lineup:

Andre - flutes, wind synth (likely a Roland Aerophone)

Nate Mercereau - guitar/guitar synth

Surya Botofasina - keyboards

Carlos Nino - percussion

Finally listened to this this morning while making breakfast. Really nice, plenty of beautiful synth textures. Nice meditative morning vibe.

Now on to this:

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 10:04 AM, Docbop said:

Woke up and had to get my Groove on.

The trombonist in my band just played a show in New Orleans where George Clinton was a guest onstage. I'm simultaneously proud as hell, and envious. He said it was a great experience.

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

On 12/18/2023 at 11:50 AM, kpl1228 said:

Because E. Power Biggs should get way more love on a keyboard forum!

Biggs was the lead member of the holy trinity of Biggs, Anthony Newman and Virgil Fox. Newman's version of "Ride of the Valkyries" is a massive thing of beauty. Fox championed Bach handsomely and died a mere 6 months after his final tour with a big ol' Rogers touring organ. I got to see him, but his show was subdued, which I later understood after he died of cancer. A trooper to the last note.

https://triunemusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Royal-V-History-1.pdf

• Like 1
  • Love 1

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

Shameless (Love it more than Billy Joel's original).

I Played this for a couple years in a country rock band and it was pure joy working with the harmony on this piece.

• Like 2

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 12/18/2023 at 12:50 PM, kpl1228 said:

Because E. Power Biggs should get way more love on a keyboard forum!

On 12/20/2023 at 4:57 PM, David Emm said:

Biggs was the lead member of the holy trinity of Biggs, Anthony Newman and Virgil Fox. Newman's version of "Ride of the Valkyries" is a massive thing of beauty. Fox championed Bach handsomely and died a mere 6 months after his final tour with a big ol' Rogers touring organ. I got to see him, but his show was subdued, which I later understood after he died of cancer. A trooper to the last note.

https://triunemusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Royal-V-History-1.pdf

I completely agree - thanks for the reminder. I have a lot of Biggs in my music collection: been listening to him since I was in high school. I got to see him in recital back in the early-mid-70s. Yes, by this time you could hear a few mistakes/flubbed notes, but it was still a cherished experience. I saw Virgil Fox at Radio City Music Hall in NYC doing his flamboyant bring-Bach-to-the-rock crowd thing.  Anthony Newman was on the same bill (a keyboard extravaganza), but he was on harpsichord doing some Brandenburg Concerto stuff. All legends!

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Just a scheduled reminder that on both Spotify and Apple Music there is a playlist of songs composed, recorded and performed by your fellow forumites. Links to both in my sig - if you have stuff released on those platforms and aren't on the playlists yet, drop me a direct message :) 

Something a bit interesting as they had their own custom instrument that became a big part of their live set, made so that the four of them could tour without extra musicians.  Made by their lead singer/founder and supposedly consisted of back to back pianos, a glockenspiel type device played with doorbell mechanisms, organ and synth (there's a chopped Odyssey and 2600 in the videos) all controlled by the piano keyboard plus an extra keyboard on the "bass" side.

Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

Big Chief.  Professor Longhair. 
Josh’s great performance in the Vallente thread reminded me how much I used to listen to this. 

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 10/3/2023 at 4:24 PM, JohnH said:

Ive been on a Steve Morse Band and Dregs binge the past few weeks as I've had car trips to Reno and Monterey. Had this one on a few times in past few days.  That Bring Em Back Alive album has a magic sound and vibe that captures my imagination and blows me away every time.

I saw the Dregs at the Roxy in L.A., I think in the late 90’s with this lineup.  Changed my life.

• Love 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

6 hours ago, TommyRude said:

I saw the Dregs at the Roxy in L.A., I think in the late 90’s with this lineup.  Changed my life.

Wow, the keyboards are actually forward in the mix! I've always loved this band... knew them from their primal/formative years as the Rock Ensemble at the University of Miami. Does anyone know what the paper on Mark's backside read? I could see Steve's "We'll do anything"...

9 hours ago, TommyRude said:

EDIT:  Saw them in the late 70s…. LONG time ago!  Cruise Control, cool and insane!

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud