Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diggin' everyone of these live clips that have been dropping from the most recent Ndegeocello album. Just saw the guitarist, Jeff Parker, sitting in with Gerald Clayton at Sam's First here in L.A. Really fun to watch the interplay between he and Clayton, nice guy too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

2 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

I  got some pre screening passes to see Men In Black, working in a record store has its perks.    When leaving the theater I saw Lorne Greene  walking out just in front of me.   After watching Bonanza on TV I was shocked to see how short Lorne Greene was.   Later on I watched a interview with Michael Landon, during the interview it came up how short he was.   He said on Bonanza all of them were short and it was like a daily competition on who put more lifts in there shoes to look taller.  He if you watch the show all the time you can notice their heights changed all the time. 

On 10/19/2023 at 5:03 PM, clawback said:

Still the tightest. 

re: Steely Dan - Two Against Nature (Sony Studios NYC 2000)

I really like Donald Fagen's Rhodes playing, but find it difficult to watch him play.   How does he play tightly jumping his arms up and down like that?   It's a rhetorical question, obviously, because he does do it.  But I think it's quite unusual...

EDIT:  I just read his Wikipedia page.  From "early life":

"He learned to play the piano, and he played baritone horn in the high school marching band.  He developed a lifelong fondness for table tennis."

Not "he took piano lessons", but "he learned to play".

But, I think, really, it must be the table tennis.

Hava Nagila.

I can't count the number of times we played this for the celebration.  We never knew if we were doing ok, other than the reaction, which was always great.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

15 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:
On 10/19/2023 at 7:03 PM, clawback said:

Still the tightest. 

re: Steely Dan - Two Against Nature (Sony Studios NYC 2000)

I really like Donald Fagen's Rhodes playing, but find it difficult to watch him play.   How does he play tightly jumping his arms up and down like that?   It's a rhetorical question, obviously, because he does do it.  But I think it's quite unusual...

EDIT:  I just read his Wikipedia page.  From "early life":

"He learned to play the piano, and he played baritone horn in the high school marching band.  He developed a lifelong fondness for table tennis."

Not "he took piano lessons", but "he learned to play".

But, I think, really, it must be the table tennis.

You haven't seen anything until you watch this  -- Live Gaucho.    The band looks like it is in a coma except for Donald, who the camera starts covering at 1:40.

He is literally doing Rhodes Piano Calisthenics.   It could be in response to Walter doing Lead Vocals on the song, but I don't think so.  He is nailing all of the accents and seems like he's having a great time.   I love his windups hitting the chords like a Quisenberry submarine.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Agree, love the new album. Too many highlights to list. That was a risky but worthy solo on the X stand!

33 minutes ago, Dave Number Four said:

I love their whole new album.

• Like 1

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

47 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

You haven't seen anything until you watch this  -- Live Gaucho.    The band looks like it is in a coma except for Donald, who the camera starts covering at 1:40.   He is literally doing Rhodes Piano Calisthenics.   It could be in response to Walter doing Lead Vocals on the song, but I don't think so.  He is nailing all of the accents and seems like he's having a great time.   I love his windups hitting the chords like a Quisenberry submarine.

Coma 🙂.   Quisenberry submarine (extra points for obscure reference!) 🙂.   That's a weird vid.  What's with Walter doing vocal?   That's a Donald vocal, he must have lost his voice that night.   But aside from that, I kinda think the audio for that vid might have come from a different night.   Aside from the delay, which is hard to get past, there's a few places where Donald's body language doesn't match what I'm hearing. 

In honor of the Kelcey Swifty kissy kissy situation.

I was doing the calculation of 5x the weight and 6x the volume to arrive at a 30x differential that would warrant a National Geographic Expose...

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

3 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:
4 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

You haven't seen anything until you watch this  -- Live Gaucho.    The band looks like it is in a coma except for Donald, who the camera starts covering at 1:40.   He is literally doing Rhodes Piano Calisthenics.   It could be in response to Walter doing Lead Vocals on the song, but I don't think so.  He is nailing all of the accents and seems like he's having a great time.   I love his windups hitting the chords like a Quisenberry submarine.

Coma 🙂.   Quisenberry submarine (extra points for obscure reference!) 🙂.   That's a weird vid.  What's with Walter doing vocal?   That's a Donald vocal, he must have lost his voice that night.   But aside from that, I kinda think the audio for that vid might have come from a different night.   Aside from the delay, which is hard to get past, there's a few places where Donald's body language doesn't match what I'm hearing. 

Obviously Walter isn't right, but to me it sort of works in a weird way.   Who knows why he was asked to sing.

As to the video/music sync, my ears/eyes show Donald's playing in perfect sync to the music from start to finish.

If you have a time stamp range you think is off, please post it.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Obviously Walter isn't right, but to me it sort of works in a weird way.   Who knows why he was asked to sing.

A weird way, indeed!  🙂

As to the video/music sync, my ears/eyes show Donald's playing in perfect sync to the music from start to finish.  If you have a time stamp range you think is off, please post it.

Well, there's 1:46 to 1:48.  And around 2:02.    Perhaps there's someone else playing either Rhodes or piano, or both.   I don't see another keyboard player, but it's pretty dark on that stage.

Re: Waka Jawaka - I like that record.  I wonder if I still have my copy.   I think that was the first time I heard a synth solo (Don Preston on MiniMoog) in a jazz (jazz-rock) context.   A very good solo, I think.   (According to THIS SITE, upon hearing Don's solo, Bob Moog said "You can't do that on a Moog!")

Ethereal and haunting. Anyone who's seen the movie remembers this soundtrack. The emptiness of 80's rich kid L.A.: the opposite of the John Hughes Chicago North Shore family bonding. Newman really shows it here, esp. in the first couple of minutes.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

All that Lync controller talk in another post got me thinking about this

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

13 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Edelweiss

• Haha 1

Going back and listening to some Soulquarians music the parents of Neo Soul by  Roots, Common, Erykah Badu,  D'Angelo when they all did albums at the same time in the same studio and all worked on each others albums.   J Dilla, James Poyser and D'Angelo on keys,   Questlove drums,   Pino Palladino bass,  Roy Hargrove trumpet, and others playing and producing.   

• Like 3