Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

14 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Mix created in honor of 303 day

The first 15 seconds are surprisingly bouncy for TB-303. I can't even get a JX-8P to sound that funky.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the eternal questions, e.g. "What is Hip?"   "Where Does Hammond Oil Go?"  Reminded me of this classic "Only so much Oil in the Ground".  Doesn't get any funkier.

• Like 2

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Cory Henry has a new album, CHURCH, out. 23 songs. It’s like his gospel organ albums made love to his funk apostles records and created this. An amalgamation of everything he’s done so far imo. 

I’m a few songs in and so far there hasn’t been a dull moment. So much going on in the background, it’s a gospel fan’s wet dream. 

• Like 1

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Thanks to the Beato interview, and subsequent listening to Jeff Baxter interviews, I'm on a Michael McDonald kick.   Interview by Musiclab/Gerald Veasley, with fair amount of singing and playing, and even some Veasley on bass.

Might be the last tour featuring Jeff Baxter, the guitarist who recruited McDonald into the Doobies - a fact I wasn't aware of until I listened to these interviews.  Livin On The Fault Line was reportedly the least commercially successful of the McDonald era Doobie albums, while at the same time their most creative.  Baxter got to show off his Roland GR-500 (or GS-500) guitar synth both on the album and on tour.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Edit (see correction below):  T. Lavitz  Mark Parish .   Gina Lola Breakdown.

A delightful honky tonk piano solo coming out of the violin.  (I've attempted to quote some of it many a time on a country gig, but I never achieve the clarity of T Mark.)

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 4/6/2024 at 3:42 PM, GovernorSilver said:

Lost Gaucho tracks

Great stuff!   If anyone wants a gold mine of Steely Dan, go to archive.org and type in Steely Dan. 

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

10 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

T. Lavitz.   Gina Lola Breakdown.

A delightful honky tonk piano solo coming out of the violin.  (I've attempted to quote some of it many a time on a country gig, but I never achieve the clarity of T.)

Always love when the Dregs get mentioned. Great band.

But this track is from before T's time in the band - it's Mark Parrish on keys.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jerrythek said:

Always love when the Dregs get mentioned. Great band.

But this track is from before T's time in the band - it's Mark Parrish on keys.

Thank you for the correction!   I think I got it mixed up with the similar Pride O' the Farm in the fog of time!   I like Mark's solo a little better - it just jumps out at you.

BTW (for those interested), Rick Beato has a great recent interview with Steve Morse.   What an amazing musician and totally humble nice guy!!

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Taking a trip down memory lane the first record I obsessed over, Green Onions by Booker T. and the MG's.   I was just a little kid but this record got to me, no matter where I was if there was a jukebox I had to play Green Onions a couple times.   I would just sit, ignoring everything else and just get into the groove.  Stax would be the first record label I would knew of and loved the Soul records they put out. 

Those damn Scandinavians,

(English version, Innocence of sound)

(English version, Summer never ended the damage was all mine)

(despite the unpronounceable name it is in English, so good at speaking English that for the last item on the last episode of a programme they have a song in English!)

Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

Right now - literally meaning now - I'm listening to Low Boob Oscillator because it's in a commercial for hotels on TV. Stereolab in a commercial... who would have thought. This commercial plays all the time too. 

• Like 1

First recent Doobie Brothers tune I've listened to in years.  It has some characteristics typical of a Patrick Simmons composition - starts with folky vocals and guitar, but then surprises with unexpected changes in harmonic direction.   Among the pleasant surprises are Mick Fleetwood guesting on drums, Mike McDonald's synth solo and a shot of Tom Johnston singing background vocals.