Jump to content


Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?


Recommended Posts



  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Andre 3000 album.  Yes he was a famous rapper in the past, but these days he seems to be more into playing flute and wind synth, and jamming with avant-garde jazz musos.   Lineup:

 

Andre - flutes, wind synth (likely a Roland Aerophone)

Nate Mercereau - guitar/guitar synth

Surya Botofasina - keyboards

Carlos Nino - percussion

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

New Andre 3000 album.  Yes he was a famous rapper in the past, but these days he seems to be more into playing flute and wind synth, and jamming with avant-garde jazz musos.   Lineup:

 

Andre - flutes, wind synth (likely a Roland Aerophone)

Nate Mercereau - guitar/guitar synth

Surya Botofasina - keyboards

Carlos Nino - percussion

 

 

Been listening to this a bunch lately as well, it reminds me of the lighter sides of those great '70's Pharoah Sanders albums. I think it's awesome that he chose to return to recording after so long with something as cool and strange as this album.

 

My current earworm is these guys, Tomorrow Comes the Harvest, with legendary Detroit DJ Jeff Mills, keyboardist Jean Phi Dary and Tabla master Prabhu Edouard. Really digging Dary's Rhodes and synth work here, he sounds great. I like how Mills' rhythm tracks are constantly shifting and evolving.

 

  • Like 2
  • Cool 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've recently finished moving all my CD's into the computer and getting rid of the discs, and have been rediscovering music that I own, but haven't listened to in a long time. This is a rare gem from Dave Grusin - great players and great sound. But linking to a YouTube video seems a slap in the face to the sonics of a Sheffield Labs recording.

 

Anyway:

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That last one made me remember the Thelma Houston Sheffield Labs record that was made Direct to Vinyl.    My friends and I all wanted to get into doing studio work so an album with the Cream of the Crop of L.A. session musicians was great to start with.   Add to that doing it Direct to Vinyl was mind blowing.   Can't imagine having to record an entire side of an album in a take,  any mistakes and have to start over from the first tune of the side.   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Docbop said:

That last one made me remember the Thelma Houston Sheffield Labs record that was made Direct to Vinyl.    My friends and I all wanted to get into doing studio work so an album with the Cream of the Crop of L.A. session musicians was great to start with.   Add to that doing it Direct to Vinyl was mind blowing.   Can't imagine having to record an entire side of an album in a take,  any mistakes and have to start over from the first tune of the side.   

 

I looked it up - what a stellar cast of players. I also have a Tower Of Power Direct-To-Disc one that is great:

 

 

And the famous James Newton Howard and Friends was also direct-to-disc. An amazing album - the first showcase for Yamaha FM synths:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't tell the guys at the biker bar, but I am absolutely hooked on this. The chill/trance mix, the use of the vocoder, the synth beds, the structure, the lyrics, all of it.

She inducted Carole King into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and I totally it now. Taylor Swift has an old soul and a great sense of melody.

 

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, 16251 said:

Peter and Adam did a podcast about Kiefer and I've been exploring.  This is the latest thing I'm listening to. He's got the vibe.

 

 

 

I'm a big Kiefer fan not only his music, but his talks about practicing, music biz, and dealing with music in day to day life.     Plus some of his videos can really get out there, but he takes those down pretty fast <grin>.  His background is real interesting and real down to earth and share his experiences with others into music.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2023 at 10:32 AM, kpl1228 said:

 

 

I'm certainly no Taylor Swift afficionado, I've only listened to a few tracks here and there.  The thing that strikes me is the lyrics - just about every song seems to about the aftermath of some (very brief) affair.  I think she's getting up into Wilt Chamberlain territory... 🙂

 

  • Haha 1

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:

I'm certainly no Taylor Swift afficionado, I've only listened to a few tracks here and there.  The thing that strikes me is the lyrics - just about every song seems to about the aftermath of some (very brief) affair.  I think she's getting up into Wilt Chamberlain territory... 🙂

 

 

She must live her life with "Repeat All"  and "Shuffle" selected.  

 

Her next album should be called...  My Life As a Media Player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got Peter Gabriel's I/O (Dark-Side mix) on vinyl. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

 

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because everyone knows that Christmas is run by a big Eastern syndicate!

 

  • Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crusaders Rainbow Visions ft. Joe Sample (under rated monster).   Loved learning this song and playing it live a long time ago.  It had some Bob James like Taxi themes in his solo.

 

 

  • Like 1

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...