Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Low Down Lowdown

An outlet for all bassists to discuss their ideas, ask questions, and share their knowledge with each other.

Low Down Lowdown.jpg

24,728 topics in this forum

• 557 replies
    • 3.4m views
    • 34 replies
    • 10.5k views
    • 6 replies
    • 34.3k views
    • 2 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 4k views
  1. Name my band! 1 2 3 4 184

• 5.5k replies
    • 14.6m views
    • 5 replies
  2. Fran Sheehan of Boston

• 1 reply
    • 2.4k views
    • 2 replies
    • 24 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 0 replies
    • 3 replies
  3. A rare Rick

• 1 reply
  4. Be a Bassist

• 6 replies
  5. Uncovered gem.

• 6 replies
    • 1k views
    • 4 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 1k views
  6. Jeremy Cohen has passed.

• 11 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 2.7k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.2k views
  7. Jimmy Bain

• 0 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.1k views
    • 20 replies
    • 2.4k views
  8. NOBD!!!

• 22 replies
    • 3.3k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.2k views
  9. RIP Bass Player Magazine

• 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 12 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.2k views
  10. New Bass Day

• 11 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1.2k views
  11. Paul Newton of Uriah Heep

• 1 reply
    • 1.5k views
  12. Any fans of John Wetton?

• 3 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.2k views
  13. Kristen Pfaff

• 0 replies
    • 1.3k views
  • Trending posts on MPN

• When I started back playing in the 80s, I got a Korg DW8000 so I got used to the joystick and that worked for me with all the subsequent Korgs I owed after that. I did have a Yamaha with wheels and I just couldn't get used to that arrangement. My Fantom 7 has both so that is a nice compromise.   Paul
    • Thanks AnotherScott. As you'll see from my gear list, I've got the heavy gear for the band Soul/Funk Gigs, the solo wedding piano, etc. It's just that all this gear requires extra cables, to go into a specific room of the house, or to be set up, wired up. I've been noodling about with Bud Powell solo transcriptions lately, and also Genesis In the Cage, so a good palette of sounds in a nice looking, sounding and uber light package for not a lot of dough sounds good.   Spontaneity is where I am heading. Not so keen on the look of the CT-S1, but the CT-S500 does look good, so shall investigate further.   Thank you.
    • I'd probably go with the Casio CT-S1.   I haven't played the Roland Go, but from what I've read, most people who have played both think the Casio action is better. I have the CT-S500 (same action) and I find it very playable (and better than the actions in, for example, the 61-key Korg Kross or Roland Juno-DS.... not that those would be in contention for this purpose, but just to use as a point of reference).   Another nice feature of the Casios is that they have the pegs for a guitar strap, so you don't necessarily need to bring a stand for the "jam night in a pub" usage. And I'd go for the white one, also esp. for the jam night usage, since the buttons and their legends are the easiest to see, and you may be in poor light.   The CT-S500 is a lot more capable, and gives you the more convenient 1/4" outputs, but might be unnecessary overkill for your use.   If you want 88 keys, the Korg Liano is cheaper and lighter than the Numa Compact 2 series, and I prefer its action... but it is also much less capable, and again, has only 1/8" output. Also, the Numa speakers are not as good as the Korg's, or the Casio's. They're enough to hear what you're doing, but beyond that, I think the others can be more satisfying.   But also, when I look at your usages, I think 88 is too big for lap-on-the-sofa use, and might also sometimes feel too big on a cramped stage for your jam nights. That said, sheer size aside, of course, it's nice to have the 88, and these 88s also include class-compliant audio over USB, meaning it's very easy to get your chocie of sounds from an attached iPhone/iPad.   As for the others mentioned... Yeah, CK61 would be a really nice option, but (possibly like the Numa) could be getting up to something you couldn't treat sufficiently casually. Korg EK50 looks interesting, but I haven't played that one, and don't know what it's action is like. It also looks a bit deep for lap use, and isn't as good as the others at meeting the added criteria, "doesn't look like a Yamaha PSR or home keyboard."    
    • Seems weird to me as well.  So is it some massive cost savings to discontinue a keyboard you were already making and design a (sorta) brand new one?  I'm sure the bean counter were hard at work to answer that and the answer must have been "yep".    I felt the RD88 was too cut down for my liking so this is certainly not of interest   
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• My trusty Typhon can:   "Audio over USB -Typhon gets recognised as Audio/USB device. This feature enables Typhon to act as an audio input and be recorded from a computer directly without the use of a sound card. This feature got implemented to support the previous described feature so as the user doesn’t have to connect the physical audio out to his sound card, and so on create a ground loop, which cause a constant buzzing at Typhon’s audio."   https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/typhon/  
    • Ipad, yes, but from my experience with the Modx that is due to being able to set the Modx as the audio interface in the audio app(s) I used.  In other words, unlike sending analog audio to a mixer or speaker where the sending unit doesn't care or know what is connected, I had to set the Modx as the destination or it wouldn't have sent anything. I'm not sure if a synth that can send audio over usb would be able to do so with another keyboard, unless it had a way to do the same...never thought about it though (which synths can send audio over usb?)  
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries