Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NOBD!!!

New Old Bass Day!!!!

Craigslist score. 2nd iteration of the Peavey Fury. The first version had a single slanted pickup with a thumb rest. Second version is the same bass with a P-bass pickups.

Older gentleman, out in the hills a bit. Story was his mom bought it new, played it for a while then bought an acoustic electric bass and never played it again. He didn't play.

$200 with original hardshell case. Flatwound strings, virtually zero fret wear, finish on the neck has one tiny peck on the back and a little bit of play wear on by the low E on the last few high frets, must have been where is mom rooted her right hand. Body is almost pristine - metallic white. Slim blond neck, original bi-laminated neck with original cast Schaller tuners and the line around the headstock.

Electronics just hum, no sound. I'll go dollars to donuts it's a wire torn off trying to tighten the jack, I've fixed quite a few of those. All original and intact except the volume knob is missing the rubber "grip" ring.

I thought I was just going to flip it but now I think I'll let it stay here for a while. I want to try recording with it at least.

Here is a link to the album on Flickr with 9 photos. I've had poor luck lately on MPN trying to add photos but I'll give it a whirl. PS, the links work, Attachment Manger is useless like always.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143117517@N04/albums/72157718701534088/with/51050843331/

https://flic.kr/p/2kM8cad

https://flic.kr/p/2kMbV8Z

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all, the early Peavey basses are indeed nice fish, juicy barn finds and solid players.

They are finally starting to go up in price but you can still snag one cheap if you are patient (and fast!!!!).

I have another Fury, it's still a "Handcrafted in the U.S.A." model but has the non striped, somewhat rounder headstock. Still has the really small script Fury logo and a tiny pointy Peavey logo. Probably the 3rd iteration.

It's red and it's a beater. I had a set of the Schaller tuners lying around so I installed those and an EMG Pa pickup - also lying around. It's a great bass for studio or live work.

I really like the Fury, slim neck, overall light weight, great playing and sounding basses.

The Rodney Dangerfield of bass guitars, they get no respect.

My first fretless was a Peavey Foundation. It was solid, easy to play, easy to adjust, solid. I only culled it from the herd as it had fretless lines, so the side dots were in between the frets instead of at the frets. Love the slim neck, tighter string spacing. Congrats on the Budget Find.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I'm a bit of a gear snob -- I admit it. That being said, I've never looked down my nose at the Peavey stuff. I used their amps and cabs for years, and the few basses I played were well made, played well and sounded good.
"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I'm a bit of a gear snob -- I admit it. That being said, I've never looked down my nose at the Peavey stuff. I used their amps and cabs for years, and the few basses I played were well made, played well and sounded good.

Hmmm... a "gear snob" who doesn't look down on Peavey? You are doing it wrong!!! :laugh:

I like stuff that works. I'm fussy that way. I used to own some spendy guitar amps. 9 Mesas, a Red Plate, an Allen, some vintage Fender tweed stuff etc. Tubes failed at gigs one too many times. I don't own any of it anymore and I don't miss it. I'm gigging a Roland Cube 40gx that I got at a thrift store for $40 while I learn the best ways to use a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 that I modified with a 10" Scorpion speaker. Then I'll probably run them in stereo, playing my sky blue Strat that has a Squier body, a Warmoth neck, locking tuners and EMG pickups. I bet if I put a Squier sticker on it everybody would hate it.

Hmmm... a "gear snob" who doesn't look down on Peavey? You are doing it wrong!!! :laugh:

Clearly. On my last Peavey rig, I removed the logos from the grills on the cabs -- I just thought it looked cleaner.

People would compliment me on my sound and ask what I was using. When I told them I was running a Peavey amp and cabs, they were stunned.

Clearly. On my last Peavey rig, I removed the logos from the grills on the cabs -- I just thought it looked cleaner.

People would compliment me on my sound and ask what I was using. When I told them I was running a Peavey amp and cabs, they were stunned.

OK, that's really funny!!!! I gigged a Peavey LA 400 for hundreds of gigs. It was the smaller cousin of the Nashville 400 - 210 watts solid state with gigantic heat sinks and a 12" Peavey Black Widow speaker instead of the 15" the Nashville sported. Probably the heaviest (and LOUDEST) amp of it's size ever made, you could drown out a Marshall stack with that thing. Anyway, I took the pointy logo off, covered the aluminum side stripes with black tape and covered all the indicators that it was a Peavey on the amp face with black tape - it was "the mystery amp". I just used a RAT pedal and a hot pickup (EMG 81) going in.

One night at a gig, a friend came up after a set, pointed at my amp and said "Is that a Boogie?" I hopped down from the stage, looked him in the eye and said "It's a Peavey, and I got it used for $150." He hung his head and shuffled off, stunned and shattered. I almost split a gut laughing.

Seems great minds think alike...

I remember being the lone voice in the wind about Peavey T40's. Now all the hipsters have figured it out. :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

The guy at the music store tried really hard to get me to buy a T40, but I had my heart set on the '76 Jazz Bass (which I still have). I liked the T40, but good golly what a boat anchor. A friend of mine eventually got one, and it was a great bass.

Speaking of boat anchors, probably my favorite Peavey amp was my Combo 115. Black Widow speaker, 200-watt amp (300, with an extension cab), graphic eq and an onboard compressor that was actually usable.

But boy, at 90+ pounds it was a pig to move around -- and it only came one with strap handle, on the top. Who did they think was gonna tote this thing around -- Kareem Abdul Jabbar? I put side handles on it and built a dolly for it.

Combo 115. .

I also owned a Peavey Hernia, and for a good long time. I put wheels on it. Still heavy. I put side handles on it. Still heavy. I even put a tweeter in it, which added a lovely hiss noise. Still heavy. But it fit into my first generation Mazda RX 7. Wish I still had that car.

I bought mine used, and it came with an even heavier EV speaker that sounded great. I put it on top of an 18" cab with another EV in it. F'n great! The 18" cab did not fit into the Mazda.

Those 200/300 watt numbers were very, very conservative. It was loud.

Combo 115. .

I also owned a Peavey Hernia, and for a good long time. I put wheels on it. Still heavy. I put side handles on it. Still heavy. I even put a tweeter in it, which added a lovely hiss noise. Still heavy. But it fit into my first generation Mazda RX 7. Wish I still had that car.

I bought mine used, and it came with an even heavier EV speaker that sounded great. I put it on top of an 18" cab with another EV in it. F'n great! The 18" cab did not fit into the Mazda.

I had a Series 1 RX7, probably my favorite car I ever owned!

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

My favorite car was an 85 BMW 535i.

And I helped a friend (and bassist in my band) carry an 8-10 SVT cabinet up and down 2 flights of stairs once. That sucked. Pull the speakers out and rent it to a small family for living quarters.

I've owned heavy stuff. I am in the process of selling a couple of guitar amps that are too big and heavy. I have smaller, lighter ones that work great. This is why God created microphones, so I can mic my amp and let the PA do the heavy lifting if needed.

I made a bass once - sort of a P-bass style. Ash body, maple neck with an 1/8" slab of solid brass for a fretboard (fretless). It weighed almost 15 pounds and sounded amazing. A friend borrowed it for a gig, made it through 2 sets and had to go to the chiropractor the next day. Sold it, even sitting it would put your leg asleep.

Yeah, I added a Peavey 210TXF cab, and good golly Miss Molly. And I was mostly using that rig for church.

I eventually traded the Combo 115 for a TMax head and a 115 BW cab -- that with the 2x10 was my setup for quite awhile.

Then I heard a friend's Eden rig and I was ruined for life.

I had a Series 1 RX7, probably my favorite car I ever owned!

I had a gen 1 and a gen 2. Loved them, but the motors need a tear down at exactly 120K (or 85K if you got the turbo....) No one in town knew how to do it, as this was before Youtube. I miss them both.

• 10 months later...
On 3/20/2021 at 12:41 PM, surfergirl said:

1616269119031924051201.jpgMy boyfriend/bass player bought this Peavey Grind and a Fender American Jazz Bass, G&K 210 cabinet and a Carvin BX 500 head for $900. Iike the Peavey so much I might keep it.

1902.thumb.jpg.61a4c7732f5f30132e160b8ef2863cbd.jpg

Update on this purchase and sale. My boyfriend decided to keep the Jazz Bass and I am keeping the Peavey and learning to play Bass. We are selling the cabinet and head and maybe one of my boyfriends Basses.    

Jenny S.

40 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

Update on this purchase and sale. My boyfriend decided to keep the Jazz Bass and I am keeping the Peavey and learning to play Bass. We are selling the cabinet and head and maybe one of my boyfriends Basses.    

Enjoy, surfergirl. I am almost always playing guitar but I LOVE playing bass!!!

I can't sing very  well and play bass but I can come up with bass lines that are bass lines. Guitarists don't always seem to do that. 

The Grind is a nice axe, I've played them but I'll hang onto my red Fury, still my favorite.

I first read that as the Peavy "Furry", and wondered if it affected the resonance of the strings... 🙂

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 8 months later...