Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best hardshell case for P-Bass?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SKB-44PRO--skb-1skb-44pro-pro-rectangular-electric-bass-case

I have a 60th anniversary P-Bass that came with a Fender-branded version of this same case (I don’t think there are any differences), and its tiny support rails on the bottom always concerned me. This week, one of them finally gave and caved in. It’s still usable, but probably not for much longer, so I want to be prepared to order a replacement, but am wondering if this other similarly-priced “non-pro” edition from SKB might serve as a stronger long-term protection (though one reviewer says it isn’t quite as good of a fit for P-Bass as the Pro version):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SKB44--skb-1skb-44-electric-bass-rectangular-case

The one and only photo that shows some hint of what the bottom looks like, appears to have longer rails and possibly stronger ones than what’s on the “Pro” model.

As for other cases, I went through everything at the Sweetwater site and didn’t find anything worth considering. P-Basses do best with the angled shaped fit vs. the looser neck-support-only type case.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks, but like I said, those don't work very well. I have a lot of cases to try at home, for other basses, including gator cases. The angled hold is way better for a P-Bass or J-Bass, or even a G&L Bass or similar design, than one where the neck goes parallel through the center of the case. Too much movement inside those cases.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Actually, this is the one to get:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/099-6162-306--fender-deluxe-molded-bass-case

Once I read the user reviews, I saw from superior customer photos that this meets the design criteria of providing a snug fit around the body and preventing the neck from slipping along the length of the case as well. The stock photos aren't very good; it wasn't obvious that the interior block was cut to fit P and J style basses.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The true test was today, as my jazz combo played the cherry blossom festival in DC and had to walk from Smithsonian Metro, a 25 minute walk against 30mph winds in somewhat cold temperatures and a fairly dense tourist presence. As the wind kept blowing the case 45 degrees outward from my body, I couldn't always avoid it banging things along the way, and had to set it down to change hands several times. It looks as new as when I bought it, after all that rough treatment today!

I've just about entirely switched to heavy duty padded gig bags for basses and guitars. 

The straps allow you to carry it on your back, securely. That leaves one hand to roll a dolly, carry a bag or small amp and one to open doors. 

If you pack lightly you can come and go in one trip each way. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I used a bag at the festival last year, but have now sold all of my instruments that never got upgraded to cases. Too many mishaps going through a rapid transit station turnstyle, and other factor, especially regarding the headstock, to ever trust a padded bag again, even a thick one. This is a heavy case; heavier than most. But it is 100% form-fitting, and I think that's the most important point for any case or bag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Schmieder said:

I used a bag at the festival last year, but have now sold all of my instruments that never got upgraded to cases. Too many mishaps going through a rapid transit station turnstyle, and other factor, especially regarding the headstock, to ever trust a padded bag again, even a thick one. This is a heavy case; heavier than most. But it is 100% form-fitting, and I think that's the most important point for any case or bag.

Gotcha, it's a "horses for courses" situation. All the clubs but one in Bellingham are ground level with lots of nearby parking. Public transit is great during the day and there are still a few buses at night but not always a reliable way to travel. There is no rapid transit and there are no turnstiles except at the airport. I don't take guitars on air travel. There is usually something I can borrow at my destination. So, playing here gig bags are perfectly suitable, I've never had a problem in 18 years. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.