Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jeremy Cohen has passed.

zeronyne

Those of you with us from days past know how important Jeremy Cohen was to the Lowdown. He argued down trolls, helped in any way possible and had a great collection of blue basses.

He personally introduced me to Carol Kaye at a NAMM, and I spent a surreal half hour standing between them as they chatted about everything but bass. I wasn’t even playing bass yet at that point.

He was opinionated and funny, and he was such a sweet guy in person. I lost touch with him for the most part when the Lowdown had that bad crash. I will miss him a lot.

I JUST heard he died a moment ago, and I have no details. Please consolidate all information here to keep everyone who knew him aware.

• Sad 2

"For instance" is not proof.

That is sad news.  He was a seriously wonderful cat.   I always enjoyed his take on things, his insights, his quest for new experiences.  Maybe he'll be jamming with Dave Brown.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Very sad to hear. I have many good memories of his stories and tips. We were not friends but he took the time to reply to my private messages and explain things (which he probably explained many times before). He was truly a legend, and will live on in our collective memories.

• Like 1

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Indeed very sad news. Like many of us old timers, I have known Jeremy as an online friend anyway, since around 2005 maybe. A long time. We chatted a lot and he had some great advice and insight. When I said he had passed my wife knew who I was talking about l, so for an online connection, I guess it was a fairly good one. I feel bad that we kind of lost track when the big collapse of the lowdown happened years ago. I wish his family well. He will certainly be missed. 

• Love 2

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to recall that Jeremy was the one who told me about this forum. He was, of course, a local cat, from my previous multi-decade residency. I don't know how I missed this announcement a month ago, but as this isn't a very active forum, I don't check it as regularly as the guitar and keyboard forums. I should check with my friends to see what sort of memorial was arranged, if any. He was extremely well known in my musical circle. And yes, a great dude all around.

• Like 2

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 2 months later...

I've been away from the forum for a while because stuff, and I come back to find this very saddening news. Jeremy was a righteous dude and a solid bass player, a true gentleman ime. Yet another thing reminding me of the great people from that era of the LD.

Any further details?

RIP JC.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I've been remembering JC- he made an effort to meet lots of people from this forum in his travels, iirc he got to a dozen, maybe more. We had coffee and talked for a bit when he came through my town, he was as witty and gracious in person as online. He seemed like good people.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• 3 months later...

I've been away from the forum and bass playing///////holding for a few years, and just popped in on a whim - this was the 1st thread I spotted :( 

I was wondering about Jeremy - I knew he was having trouble but it seems it caught up with him. So sad. 

My wife and I were in SF (from Australia) in late 2010 and Jeremy came over from where he lived to meet us and show us around a bit. Considering a) it was a day after the Giants won the World Series, b) and so the traffic on Bay Bridge was awful because of the big parade about to happen, and c) he was squeezing us in before an oncology appointment, we were humbled by his generosity of spirit. We were delighted to meet him - a lovely person.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

On 3/29/2023 at 6:13 AM, slowfinger said:

My wife and I were in SF (from Australia) in late 2010 and.....

- a lovely person.

1)  I had no idea his health issues were long standing

2) Yes. 

Thanks for sharing the memory.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• 1 month later...