Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paul Newton of Uriah Heep

Ivan May

A founding member of UH and their bassist and frequent composer from 1968 to 1971, Paul Newton was the low energy in the group. He had previously known Uriah Heep members Ken Hensley and Lee Kerslake from their days in The Gods, a psychedelic rock band that also featured Jethro Tull bassist John Glascock and Greg Lake.

Paul Newton played on the albums Uriah Heep, Salisbury and Look At Yourself, and also composed the track Dreammare from their first album. He left Uriah in 1971, having suffered a nervous breakdown in the mid of that albums tour. He was replaced initially by Mark Clarke, but most permanently by Gary Thain, who played in Uriah Heep from 1972 to early 1975.

Paul primarily played a sunburst Fender Jazz Bass with block inlay neck, which may have been a 1966, 1967 or 1968 Fender Jazz Bass. He also used Hiwatt and Marshall with his amps.

0C174413-04D5-40F6-9947-429974837F9D.thumb.jpeg.84b8d57e62230b041546772d7f70148d.jpeg

Gary Thain also used a Fender Jazz Bass, but I believe his was a Olympic white 1973 Fender Jazz Bass. Gary also used a natural 1962 Fender Jazz Bass. I own quite a few Uriah Heep albums, and Paul Newton was able to stay in tune and play bass.

I hope you guys enjoy some Uriah Heep today