Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fran Sheehan of Boston

The original bassist for Boston from 1975 up until the mid eighties, Fran Sheehan was a very tuneful bassist, able to underpin the rhythms of drummer Sib Hashian, lead guitarist and only constant member Tom Scholz and Barry Goudreau and vocalist Brad Delp.

According to numerous sources, Fran only played bass on the tracks Foreplay, Long Time and Let Me Take You Home Tonight from Boston’s first album, with Tom Scholz playing bass on all other tracks.

Fran also played bass on the title track and Feelin Satisfied from Don’t Look Back, on which he also contributed percussion. Tom Scholz also played bass on all other tracks.

Fran left in the mid eighties along with Sib and Barry, though Fran also co-wrote the track Cool The Engines from Third Stage.

Fran no longer plays bass, having seriously injured himself in a bike accident years ago. But I really liked his bass playing with Boston.

I have no clue as to what amps Fran used, but my guess is that being the technology wizard that Tom Scholz was, it is very likely that Fran’s bass was DI’d. But he may have also used Ampeg since they were the most trusted name in bass amps back in the seventies.

D71B4AF9-857C-4E4B-ADF0-1F23F95828DA.thumb.jpeg.18f7f7e21a9556f8bd768d103c4b0ac0.jpeg4C3FD437-521B-4E94-89E8-E7C8E3BE11FF.jpeg.85b9c91545383ba29d7aa911117bb1a3.jpeg

The inner sleeve of Don’t Look Back shows Fran with a sunburst Fender Jazz Bass, and it may be a CBS Fender Jazz Bass (from around 1968 or 1969) with the block inlays on the fretboard. Fran also played a Fender Jazz with a maple neck from a CBS Fender Precision Bass.

I own several Boston albums and decided I’d take advantage of his good bass playing by posting about Fran Sheehan, a very soulful player.

37D41226-EEF2-4C22-9580-9C3C7CF9B537.webp F5714B7B-A8B1-4A81-83E2-7411CCDBEC32.webp

• Like 1

• 1 year later...