Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Bass Player Magazine

Paul K

Ladies and Gentlemen;

I stopped getting B.P. magazine some time ago.  Then I kept getting a BP magazine subscription for Christmas, so they would just appear.  That last iteration did not do it for me.  No insight, not great copy, and I'm too old so get those damn kids off of my lawn. 

Anyway, B.P. is no more.  I got my last copy, and also a check for $12.99 to refund the rest of the gift subscription.   I still have the original issue (Before Volume 1 Issue 1)  with the painting of Jaco on the cover before BP was official, and the second "official" issue with Billy Sheehan on it.  It was a seriously great magazine BITD.  I learned so much about all things bass, especially from Rick Turner's column.  I even got a letter to the editor or two printed. 

So thanks, B.P. Magazine.   Will miss you.

Cheers,

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad. A friend had a subscription and used to give me the copies after he read them. I passed those along to another friend. 

Some good stuff in there. I started on guitar, switched to bass and back to guitar but I've always kept a bass handy and kept up my bass chops. 

Rest in Peace, Bass Player!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 2 weeks later...

My sense is that Future Music doesn't really want to be in the business of publishing a print magazine, and their long-term business plan was to eliminate print editions, altogether.

I was a long-time subscriber to both Guitar Player and Electronic Musician. Not long after I'd last renewed my subscription to Electronic Musician, a notice came informing me that I was holding what would be my last physical copy of Electronic Musician magazine, as they were going entirely digital. If I'd had some warning of the forthcoming change, I wouldn't have signed on for a 2-year subscription renewal. I called to cancel the remainder of my EM subscription the day I got my last copy.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com