Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Fuzz?

Just from cursory searching it seems like there are roughly one billion different fuzz pedals out there, and about 250 million of those work great on bass.

I'm looking for my ultimate bass fuzz. I want it to have an UPPER octave and be crunchy rather than warm. I've owned a variety of Muffs and their variants. Believe it or not, I prefer the Behringer FZ300 over most others.

Anyone have a favorite?

"For instance" is not proof.

I record bass and add distortion. It would not be difficult to do what I like to do with a live bass. 

You'll want a splitter box so you have 2 identical signals. EQ one signal for your favorite bass sound.  Roll off the low end on the other signal and add your favored distortion (octaver?) pedals to get that sound the way you want. Blend the two sounds, the huge clean tone and the higher frequency shred tone. 

When I record that way I can get a full, clear bass sound with as much snarl and snap as I want. My experience has been that adding distortion to the low end creates a muddy mess of a tone, that's why I tried this way of doing it. 

Maybe not what you are asking but a fun thing to try anyway. 

And currently I like the Tech 21 Double Drive 3x for getting distortion tones on bass or guitar. Very versatile pedal. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Unquestionably the olive green EHX Big Muff Pi bass edition with its three-way toggle switch that I usually keep in its bass-unique position (the reason I didn't go for the Nano for bass, though I have that edition for guitar).

I've owned a lot of fuzz pedals over the years, so that's saying a lot. This one preserves the articulations and dynamics but simply overlays that fuzz character.

I presume you are referring to true fuzz pedals and not using the term generically for other stuff such as overdrive, filters, etc., for which I have different choices.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the response from KuruPrionz and Mark Schmieder, I may have actually been doing something right.

2 amps - split with a DOD Stereo Chorus (minimal effect used) with the Big Muff going to my smaller amp.

• Like 1
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

On 3/29/2024 at 10:23 AM, butcherNburn said:

Looking at the response from KuruPrionz and Mark Schmieder, I may have actually been doing something right.

2 amps - split with a DOD Stereo Chorus (minimal effect used) with the Big Muff going to my smaller amp.

The Amy Humphrey way! Nice! 

I bought another half-dozen fuzzes to try. Maybe I'll record some samples, but there are plenty of great pedal review channels out there.

"For instance" is not proof.