Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blu DeTiger and the new way to make it as a bass player

Fender Promo Video with Blu deTiger

This is not a post talking about her chops or her songwriting (both of which are absolutely fine). I want to talk about her ascension and the successes of other Gen Z musicians who have added another super-granular conduit to success: hyper focused social media. I’m not going to pretend that I know her plan or that I can reverse engineer her success, but this is her timeline.

Starts playing bass at 7…from her social media, one can infer that she didn’t come from poverty.

Two years ago, a video of her slapping to “Savage” by Meghan Thee Stallion goes viral on TikTok. She has the PERFECT vibe for the 2020s. 

She took that little viral video by the neck and wrung it into an album of her originals, videos that got significant airplay, and her following, especially among the LGBTQ+ community was growing like a wildfire.

Last night Dominic Fike was one of the last headliners at Lollapalooza. Guess who was playing bass for him.

Like it or not, being ANY sort of musician that wants to truly maximize their impact or rise beyond playing out on weekends needs to almost instinctively think of themselves and their career aspirations as a brand that needs to be nurtured and evolved. If you DON’T aspire to that, then you can just woodshed, but style (not necessarily attractiveness), exposure, new content, and follower interaction are going to be really important (not nice to haves) if you want to move beyond local fame. The good news is you don’t need a marketing department that bleeds money to be effective. It actually is better to be more authentic in this case, lumps and all.  

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'm just going to secretly release a sex tape and claim it was stolen to get famous, avoiding all this hard work/nonsense. 

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 8:40 AM, lug said:

Personally, I'm just going to secretly release a sex tape and claim it was stolen to get famous, avoiding all this hard work/nonsense. 

You can monetize that as well, you know. All the kids over 18 are doing it, including some of my daughter’s high school friends.

but I’m not judging. I’d subscribe to OnlyLug.com. Lol

"For instance" is not proof.

19 hours ago, zeronyne said:

You can monetize that as well, you know. All the kids over 18 are doing it, including some of my daughter’s high school friends.

but I’m not judging. I’d subscribe to OnlyLug.com. Lol

NSFW!

spacer.png

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie