Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Low Down Lowdown

An outlet for all bassists to discuss their ideas, ask questions, and share their knowledge with each other.

Low Down Lowdown.jpg

24,729 topics in this forum

• 557 replies
    • 3.4m views
    • 34 replies
    • 10.9k views
    • 6 replies
    • 34.5k views
  1. Be a Bassist

• 10 replies
    • 1.2k views
  2. Name my band! 1 2 3 4 185

• 5.5k replies
    • 14.6m views
    • 8 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 6 replies
    • 4.5k views
    • 5 replies
  3. Fran Sheehan of Boston

• 1 reply
    • 2.7k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1k views
    • 24 replies
    • 2.2k views
    • 0 replies
  4. A rare Rick

• 1 reply
  5. Uncovered gem.

• 6 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 4 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 1.3k views
  6. Jeremy Cohen has passed.

• 11 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 2.9k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.3k views
  7. Jimmy Bain

• 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.3k views
    • 20 replies
    • 2.5k views
  8. NOBD!!!

• 22 replies
    • 3.5k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.4k views
  9. RIP Bass Player Magazine

• 2 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 12 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
  10. New Bass Day

• 11 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1.4k views
  11. Paul Newton of Uriah Heep

• 1 reply
    • 1.6k views
  12. Any fans of John Wetton?

• 3 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.4k views
  • Trending posts on MPN

• How'd you figure that out?  A service manual/labelled schematic, or....I'm guessing you traced out where "inbetween" spot connected to. It's a nice thought, and probably a very simple join to make with solder.   Yeah....me too....I have a decent enough soldering station, all kinds of flux paste, all that stuff....but despite all the Youtube, I'd need to see someone actually do it hands-on in person to really get it.  Basically I suck.  Simple joins function well enough, but anybody I've shown pictures to has been like "you should be ashamed!  that looks terrible!"  💯
    • You need a scripting framework that allows you to persist ("remember") the note-on velocity, and apply it to the corresponding note-off. I don't know squat about these scripting tools, but that's your challenge right there.   Cheers, Mike
    • That stem splitter function intrigues me. So I'll use it on my home-based M2 MacMini. Then I should be able to open the same Project's now-separated tracks om my 2020 MacBook Pro i7 - when needing to work remotely. That should work, unless I'm missing something? That should then leave the Chroma Glow effect as the only thing that wouldn't transfer/open on my 4-year old MBP..
    • For Mac, the requirement is Ventura 13.5 or later. Stem splitter and chroma glow require Apple Silicon. iPad version needs a Bionic A12 processor or better (8th gen iPad for example). M1 recommended for version 2 and necessary for the stem splitter. So, AI features (other than the two above) can be used on most devices meeting minimum spec.
    • hey so I’ve been completely grooving on The Floozies!  That Red Rocks vid is awesome, the sound quality is superb and the video is great too (THANK YOU Iconoclast!).  These guys definitely have a formula of sorts, and the driving low end synth hooks are crazy.  Kinda like the Tom Sawyer signature sound, but crafted into these crazy deep funk riffs.   So I was so into it, I wanted to know what synths/apps he’s using, I shot off an email and they came back to me!  He’s using Razor, Serum, Massive, Microkorg and some Logic stuff.  And he’ll record some stuff into a mic and manipulate the shit out of it.
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• I remember seeing the ads in Keyboard and a picture of the Odyssey on the Musicians Friend catalog. I really wanted one but ended up with the MiniMoog because it was available. In the late 70's you didn't have a lot of choices in a small rural town. Was very interested when this came out but reviews of the horrible touch pads scared me away. Wish it had more jacks for interfacing with the Behringer 2600. Still, maybe someday. Wonder how it compares to the Korg version?
    • Carlo, you make that Oddy sound fabulous! I have a black-face Oddy and Axxe in my garage, have had both since the '80's, and both need new sliders, probably new caps, and a ton of cleaning. But hearing you play it made me feel nostalgic for that sound! Given the price of the Behringer, it'll probably be cheaper to just buy a new one than to fix mine.
    • OT - just a comment on the original white face Oddy - I modified mine so I had an octave up/down switch. Also changed the pitch knob to one which had a notch sticking out so that I could curl my little finger round it and be confident that I could return it to the neutral position. And I managed to rewire the modulation slider on the first oscillator so that the second oscillator modulated too. It was all very ambitious of me, with not much real understanding of what I was doing, but it worked nicely. i hung onto it for years, only selling it off about 10 years ago. Nowadays I occasionally use the app on the iPad. It’s close enough for me.
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries