Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Low Down Lowdown

An outlet for all bassists to discuss their ideas, ask questions, and share their knowledge with each other.

Low Down Lowdown.jpg

24,729 topics in this forum

• 557 replies
    • 3.4m views
    • 34 replies
    • 10.9k views
    • 6 replies
    • 34.5k views
  1. Be a Bassist

• 10 replies
    • 1.2k views
  2. Name my band! 1 2 3 4 185

• 5.5k replies
    • 14.6m views
    • 8 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 6 replies
    • 4.5k views
    • 5 replies
  3. Fran Sheehan of Boston

• 1 reply
    • 2.7k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1k views
    • 24 replies
    • 2.2k views
    • 0 replies
  4. A rare Rick

• 1 reply
  5. Uncovered gem.

• 6 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 4 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 1.3k views
  6. Jeremy Cohen has passed.

• 11 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 2.9k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.3k views
  7. Jimmy Bain

• 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.3k views
    • 20 replies
    • 2.5k views
  8. NOBD!!!

• 22 replies
    • 3.5k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.4k views
  9. RIP Bass Player Magazine

• 2 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 12 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
  10. New Bass Day

• 11 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 4 replies
    • 1.4k views
  11. Paul Newton of Uriah Heep

• 1 reply
    • 1.6k views
  12. Any fans of John Wetton?

• 3 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.4k views
  • Trending posts on MPN

• I've played arranger keyboards for years at home.  My current setup includes a Korg PA1000, which works as a good practice tool for me. Like having a really solid backup band.  Some great sounds, many styles and variations, and a vocal  harmonizer.  If I could sing and had a personality I could use it solo like cruise ship performers I've seen.   😉
    • I hope they don't ditch the computer, personally.   If they do both, fine. If the computer DAW ever actually went away I'd move to Ableton or Bitwig or something else.  I like the Logic stock plugins, but i have enough 3rd party tools to make the switch any time.
    • Fair enough.  I'm not versed in the realm of big biz and investors and all that to know how fast that sort of thing can happen.  
    • The craziest thing I ever saw on stage happened two feet downstage of my keyboard rig. I started playing strip clubs in Ft. Lauderdale in 1970 when I was 15 years old. One of the dancers (Olga), had a number of acts where she usually ended her performance by unintentionally hurting herself on stage. One instance involved a nipple and a torch… we were playing “Stormy Monday” behind her… but I digress…   One night she decided to up the theatricality of her act and was dancing with a live prop, an eight foot boa constrictor. In the middle of the number she accidentally suffocated the snake (I will not go into details, but lets just say that it was exceptionally lurid). When she lifted the limp body of the snake, she broke into tears and ran off the stage.    As Dave Barry says, “I am not making this up.”
    • I'll be more generous and say they were hoping to not have to close all stores, i.e. hoping for an investor who would spare them from having to do that.
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• I remember seeing the ads in Keyboard and a picture of the Odyssey on the Musicians Friend catalog. I really wanted one but ended up with the MiniMoog because it was available. In the late 70's you didn't have a lot of choices in a small rural town. Was very interested when this came out but reviews of the horrible touch pads scared me away. Wish it had more jacks for interfacing with the Behringer 2600. Still, maybe someday. Wonder how it compares to the Korg version?
    • Carlo, you make that Oddy sound fabulous! I have a black-face Oddy and Axxe in my garage, have had both since the '80's, and both need new sliders, probably new caps, and a ton of cleaning. But hearing you play it made me feel nostalgic for that sound! Given the price of the Behringer, it'll probably be cheaper to just buy a new one than to fix mine.
    • OT - just a comment on the original white face Oddy - I modified mine so I had an octave up/down switch. Also changed the pitch knob to one which had a notch sticking out so that I could curl my little finger round it and be confident that I could return it to the neutral position. And I managed to rewire the modulation slider on the first oscillator so that the second oscillator modulated too. It was all very ambitious of me, with not much real understanding of what I was doing, but it worked nicely. i hung onto it for years, only selling it off about 10 years ago. Nowadays I occasionally use the app on the iPad. It’s close enough for me.
  • Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries