Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody following these guys? Brilliant stuff ...

I love their stuff, including the whole album from last year 

I saw them live recently, and it was just Louis and Genevieve duo plus tracks and video. I think that's part of their stripped-down postmodern shtick, but I'd love to hear something more like the full acoustic band vibe like those house videos. But it was still nice to hear Louis play drums live.

• Like 1

watching these vids, and assuming they are playing live, it's wild to not see much in the way of iPads or sheet music anywhere - - how do they remember all these insane chord and timing changes?  Super funkin' crazy!

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Yyyyyep, for a while now.  Be sure to check out everything.
Way back when we bailed on a lame NAMM after-party show and went downtown LA to check em out at what looked like a movie theatre turned stage/music venue.  Knower were absolutely slamming!  You could tell they were making their own 'scene'.

I think they've got more original-special going on than Snarky actually (has nothing to do with chops).

• Like 1

Louis is a great keyboardist as well--rhythmically amazing, and very tasty. Early pandemic I started transcribing snippets of his clav and synthbass playing to try and get some of it in my hands. (I wish I could say I have...) He's humble and articulate in interviews too. I can't think of a more interesting musician working right now. 

• Like 1
B/Midiboard/VirusKC/Matrix12/EX5/Maschine

It is brilliant stuff.  I've watched every video from Louis Cole and knower.  But usually only once. Almost paradoxically, I find it inspiring and yet have no desire to put it in my playlist. Like a lot of visual art that I enjoy in a museum but would never put on my wall at home.

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Definitely tight and well done... not music for me, though.

Maybe I've become rigid and less adventurous, but music that disrupts rhythmic expectations consistently, and that seems to adhere rigidly to a "modal harmonies and complex dissonances are always better choices than expected harmonic changes and resolutions" ethos feels kind of gimicky and doesn't draw me in. One song (or half of one), and I can appreciate how hard it is and enjoy moments. More than a few minutes, though, and I'm exhausted, couldn't care less that the unison hits are cleverly hard to predict or that those chords full of 2nds are hard to hit so precisely, and am looking for something easier.

They feel like an art school love child of Primus and Return to Forever (and yes, they're welcome to use that in their next liner notes). Super talented, but not my style. Then again, I may be the machine they're raging against.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pretty impressive technically - particularly rhythmically - but just out of curiosity, what would you call this type of music? Progressive jazz/rock/funk fusion?

Definitely not easy listening music...

• Like 1

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Threadslayer said:

Pretty impressive technically - particularly rhythmically - but just out of curiosity, what would you call this type of music? Progressive jazz/rock/funk fusion?

Music.

I think if we really want music to evolve we need to get away from the typical labelling and packaging systems.

But there's not as much  money for others to grab in their old hands sooo,...yeah.

Just good music. Oh, and ***k the haters.

• Like 1

I must be living under a rock or this is extremely obscure. I've never heard of any of this and I'm fascinated by it. I will be digging deeper.

The interesting grooves and use of multiple keyboardists, the horn section, that bass player definitely has the cool facial expressions, LOL.

I didn't come away with any memorable hooks, just sampling several of the videos in this thread. I was entertained!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dave Number Four said:

I love their stuff, including the whole album from last year 

I saw them live recently, and it was just Louis and Genevieve duo plus tracks and video. I think that's part of their stripped-down postmodern shtick, but I'd love to hear something more like the full acoustic band vibe like those house videos. But it was still nice to hear Louis play drums live.

Thanks #4! 

I totally appreciate them and it's not like they are going to replace the Beatles or Paul Anka or Frank Sinatra for me. I see what they do as decoration of the basic song form we have come to love.

For those who want to "locate" this music, here is my unhelpful over-generalization: Every western musician will typically pause to breathe every four measures or so. If you are Louis Cole, you'll have a drum fill or a break or some rhythm ornamentation to catch the breath. His approach reminds me of classic funk with additional borrowed vocabulary from Drum&Bass and Trap. But other genres do the same essential thing. If you are Liberace you decorate your pause with pianistic arpeggios. If you are Joe Satriani, a whammy bar dive bomb might be what you reach for. If you are John Williams cue those 32nd note woodwind runs. It's not that different. JW's father was a drummer, lol.

Yes, I too love to hear them live. Louis Cole seems like a very nice guy but musically he reminds me of Buddy Rich. He's big enough to anchor a very large ensemble.

20 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

I’ve been a fan of these guys since they appeared on Snarky Puppy’s Family Dinner Vol. 2.

dB

Love it! Thanks dB. 🎶

• Like 1

I know Genevieve from my time in LA in the late 00s. She was part of the CSUN crew we all had a regular Sunday night Jam at the Sunset House of Blues with. It has been fun to watch her double down on everything quirky and badass and link up with Louis and go on this uncompromosingly creative run. Louis is a ridiculous musician. One of the few drummers Nate Wood trusts to sub for him in Kneebody. It's very inspiring to me.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

On 2/13/2024 at 1:04 PM, Tusker said:

Love Louis Cole but this one sounds like a contrived attempt at mixing Stevie Wonder's gravy with Moonchild's wine.

Both are uniquely rich and strong, but I'd rather enjoy them separately.

6 hours ago, Threadslayer said:

Avant-garde

• Like 1

A friend once described this kind of music as like being in the ring with Mike Tyson. You can't help but be impressed with his technical skills, but before long, you're on the ropes in the corner and he's just pummeling you non stop. 

• Like 6

Add me to the list as a longer-term fan. Would love to see them live. As an aside, Rai is one of the nicest guys you'll meet. One of the best hours in conversation I've ever spent, was with him :thu: 

• Like 1

For anyone who questions the genius of Prince, he was playing and producing this type of music 40 years ago.

This type of music may never be commercially successful from a Pop perspective but the great news is that AI will never be a threat to this level of talent and creativity. 

I'm optimistic that artists and musicians of this caliber will always exist. The unknown is whether they'll be able to reach and maintain an audience.😎

• Like 3

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"