Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are the most iconic "looking" (not sounding) keyboards?

RABid

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

To nitpick your comment, I'm not sure I'd see the DX7 as an iconic design. It's an iconic instrument, for sure, but I don't find anything so distinctive about its visual design. It's almost distinctive in its lack of distinctiveness. 

Funny, now I definitely see it as iconic.  The color scheme, the sleek profile, the membrane switches, the instructional graphics.  Much more so than the DX7-II, when they went to the pushbutton design.  It certainly defines a specific time, and in many cases, a specific sound.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

I don't know about iconic, but I ran across this the other day. I couldn't find any identifiers as to what it was.

PXL_20231213_233133721.thumb.jpg.bc16f3b6bf28c2a499b9ce5d5bc86a03.jpg

PXL_20231213_233153098.thumb.jpg.aa7d9ac503343cc7971751da8f9017b6.jpg

My cousin has a dual manual that I used to play when I was young. It is a pump organ. How fast you pedal can affect the overall volume to a limited amount. You always end up pumping to the rhythm of the song. Each pedal is a billow so there is no fast pumping like a bicycle.

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

3 hours ago, bill bosco said:

had one these , played it through 147 for a couple of years . bought myself my first Hammond in '72 , never touched the Compact again  , no fond memories

Wanted one (Farfisa Combo Compact) badly but never owned one in '67, we played a lot of Doors material then ....eventually bought a more scaled down and cheaper GEM and ran that through a blackface Fender Bassman then to a Whitehall double manual through a 145 Leslie. And eventually, Ha! - A Hammond M3 into the 145..... In about a 3 1/2 year progression ....I know that progression well Bill.  I like playing piano over organ these days ... for a while now!  But I still dig the Hammond organ/Leslie and dig in often ..... 

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

5 hours ago, kpl1228 said:

Iconic, not unique or interesting. I keep seeing those here.

Iconic: Vox Continental, Minimoog, DX7, all of the red Nords. Oh, and the Jupiter 8 with the brightly colored switches on the faceplate. So Iconic Roland used that look in its Jupiter re-dos.

Exactly.

As usual in these kind of threads, in a few pages every keyboard ever produced will be mentioned, but the truly iconic ones are just a very selected few: the ones with a striking, distinctive look, seen everywhere onstage and in videos, and maybe even recognizable by non-keyboard players (though this last criteria is not really important).

Microkorg surely is at the very top of the list together with Hammond, Rhodes, Vox,  Minimoog, Prophet, Juno, Jupiter, Mellotron...and of course the most iconic of them all: a big black shiny grand piano (the brand is totally irrelevant, nobody knows of Steinways or Yamahas or Bosendorfers outside our small circle)

8 hours ago, RABid said:

My cousin has a dual manual that I used to play when I was young. It is a pump organ. How fast you pedal can affect the overall volume to a limited amount. You always end up pumping to the rhythm of the song. Each pedal is a billow so there is no fast pumping like a bicycle.

We called them pump organs or reed organs, but harmonium is the correct name. They were in the parlors of many well to do households in the 1800s.

Moe

---

49 minutes ago, mate stubb said:

We called them pump organs or reed organs, but harmonium is the correct name. They were in the parlors of many well to do households in the 1800s.

My grandmother had one of these, in fairly playable condition. Too bad it sounded like baboon ass. I generally like reedy instruments more than my fellow primates, but playing that thing made me feel like I was tormenting Clive Barker's idea of a cow. 😬

• Haha 1

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

22 hours ago, bill bosco said:

had one these , played it through 147 for a couple of years . bought myself my first Hammond in '72 , never touched the Compact again  , no fond memories

Same here, mine was Gray-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Cool thread! When I flash back in time to the time I was coming of age and learning about synthesizers (early '80s), I was drawn to the Roland brand, primarily having seen it in Nick Rhodes' rig and other MTV sightings. I was also very interested in the Fairlight, as the "unobtainable" keyboard of the time. This picture sums it up nicely and I remember being obsessed with getting a Roland keyboard at the time.

I remember the "poor man's Jupiter 8" was a Juno or JX...my HS girlfriend had a Juno 106 that she let me borrow and soon thereafter I got my first synth, the JX-8P. Years later, I had two different JP8 units that I carelessly let pass through my hands...I wish I'd kept one of them. I still have the JX-8P. There is something about the way the Roland logo looks on the back of the keyboard...and the Fairlight was just a sexy beast.

nick_rhodes_uses_fairlight_cmi_1_e6b8026861.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 1:07 PM, RABid said:

To me the blue pinstripe Oberheims just edge out the rainbow button's of the Jupiter 8. Whether it is an OB-Xa or a DMX, the look is class.

Agreed. Some guys go crazy if they see a classic Harley or an old red Ferrari: if I see or hear any old polysynth Oberheim from OB-X on I turn into a puddle of goo.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

On 12/16/2023 at 9:37 AM, Motif88 said:

OBERHEIM-8-VOICE-3.14-1_1024X1024.thumb.jpeg.02e270286b8819cd625f380309452922.jpeg

I don’t get the “down” vote on an Oberheim 8 voice…did you own or play one and have a bad experience?

• Like 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

The Mellotron Mark 2 is the most iconic model used by The Moody Blues, The Beatles, and The Rolling Stones.

spacer.png

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

8 hours ago, Shamanzarek said:

The Mellotron Mark 2 is the most iconic model used by The Moody Blues, The Beatles, and The Rolling Stones.

spacer.png

That models is not iconic *looking*, not so widely visually instantly recognizable. The Mellotron 400 (pictured 4 posts above yours) is the "iconic" mellotron, visually.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

9 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

The Mellotron 400 (pictured 4 posts above yours) is the "iconic" mellotron, visually.

Funny. In that stark white on black profile, it looks like something Mr. Spock would have played a Vulcan lullaby on.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Really?? I’m an outlier on this? The coolest looking keyboard ever. At my level it is rare I have the opportunity to sit at a real piano on stage. But the CP70 came close and in some ways was even cooler. Everything else, (whatever their own benefits), feels like a toy to me.

4CD052CE-207C-41C3-A20B-77B10FC51CE4.webp

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 8:09 AM, Threadslayer said:

Funny. In that stark white on black profile, it looks like something Mr. Spock would have played a Vulcan lullaby on.

I beg to differ.

The Enterprise would have most logically had a Hammond X-66 in the day room for Spock's off duty time.

duela-de-madera-sin-agua.jpg

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, now serving the Lord in Bryant AR: '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie)