Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

16 hours ago, Tom Williams said:

For the non-percussion folks, these are midway between drumsticks and brushes, good for lower-volume gigs where they supply an acoustic drum kit.

Those are awesome.  What are they called?  My drummer spouse might be interested.

Just got an SY77 off of Marketplace for $380.  It sure is a beast, both weight-wise and sound-wise.

• Like 3

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

K&M 18807: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18807-universal-holder-black

I wanted something that will attach to my keyboard stand, and support my monitor speaker. I had previously mounted the speaker in front of me (behind my keyboards) but this obstructed line of sight between  me and the audience. 

Bleedin' Business Orford House 17sep2022.JPG

The K&M mounts at 45 degrees to my Stagg MXS-A3 stand and the build is of the usual robust quality you expect from K&M. Here it is supporting my Studiospares monitor. (The Laney wedge on the floor doesn't travel with me to gigs). 

IMG_5662.JPG

And here's the rig fully clothed and in all its jewel(le)ry: monitor arm, ipad holder, mic boom and a little doohickey to hang a tambourine (or IEMs).

IMG_5663.JPG

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 3

A second Hammond 44H (v2) Melodica. The first need tuning, and it must be sent to Amsterdam. But rehersals are coming, there is no free slot in my planning, risking  staying without the Melodica a week would stop activity (a probable mini concert end of september, for exemple). So, i have finally decided to have two of them, in order to have one always in working order.

Whow, it sounds like a pro :)

Maurizio 

• Like 2

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

I've played Melodicas for years. When I saw Billy Preston use one for the solo on Will It Go 'Round In Circles way back when, I purchased one and have used them ever since. I purchased one of the first Hammond H44's that came into the U.S. and still use it along with a Suzuki Pro-37v2. My Original Hohner gave up long ago. I am starting to play with a gypsy jazz type group and I think this new purchase will add something different to my musical palette.

Suzuki Andes 25F

Andes 25F.jpg

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

On 6/8/2022 at 11:32 AM, KuruPrionz said:

You left out accordions!!!! I had one of the fancy big ones and it weighed as much as 5 guitars with cases. Somebody else suffers with it now. 

Of the things you mention, a concertina might be as light as a guitar but a harmonium is not, neither is a claviclechord thingie. "Portable" is a relative term...

What is perfect pitch? Perfect pitch is when you throw a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break. 

The only good cow is a mad cow... 😇

You forgot the case.

Recent purchases - MOTU M6 audio interface. So far, excellent, compact and versatile.

Tech 21 Q-Strip. A fantastic EQ for recording bass, will excel at any EQ job. Compact, can run on phantom power, win!

Rode M3 microphone - small diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone. Huge band for the buck. So far, vocals and acoustic guitars - nice.

Last but not least, from Matt McGlynn's Microphone Parts shop I bought a complete T-67 kit and built it. I took my time, 3 sessions spread over 4 days. It worked perfectly the first time. There is an internal switch for cardioid to omni. I don't need omni so I haven't used it. Under $500 and I got the Platinum transformer which they didn't have recently when I checked back. The "edgy highs" that can be typical of a fairly inexpensive large diaphragm condenser mic are not present, instead the highs are silky and sweet. I don't think it's still posted but I read a short review on the website that was from a gentleman who had engineered recordings that sold over 150k albums and he said "How does this $500 mic sound like my $5,000 mic?" I can't corroborate that, I don't have a $5,000 mic. I have used quite a few LDC and this one is my favorite by far. Bang for the buck is off the hook on this mic.

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:32 AM, KuruPrionz said:

You left out accordions!!!! I had one of the fancy big ones and it weighed as much as 5 guitars with cases. Somebody else suffers with it now. 

Of the things you mention, a concertina might be as light as a guitar but a harmonium is not, neither is a claviclechord thingie. "Portable" is a relative term...

What is perfect pitch? Perfect pitch is when you throw a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break. 

The only good cow is a mad cow... 😇

Yeah, concertina might be more wieldy than an accordion.

Yamaha Motif XF7. Arrived today. Needed a good reasonably priced second keyboard for weekend bar gigs. Killer sounds.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Still having a heck of a time finding an expression pedal that works well with the VR09. Roland EV5 and Boss EV30 are about the same with small throws and of that, only about the top 25% of the travel move any parameters. I found a Nektar NX-P to work reasonably well, but the VR09 seems to stop communication with it after sitting dormant for 10 or 15 minutes during the break after first set. Rebooting and flicking the switch does not seem to fix it. I’m quite sure it is not the pedal because it works flawlessly with every other synth, all the time. I had a M-Audio EX-P as a back-up, but stupidly left it in the case that was far off stage because the Nextar made it though the previous show without a hitch. The Moog EP3 and Yamaha FC7 (with Ashby adapter) both seem to max out at about 60% of the volume with the organs on the VR09…really hampers the expression I’m looking for.

Happened to find a Roland EV7 on Reverb this weekend after the Nektar went silent again at one our biggest shows of the year on Friday. Rather expensive for an old, heavily used pedal, but hoping that long throw will finally let that Roland organ sing…

2 hours ago, brenner13 said:

Still having a heck of a time finding an expression pedal that works well with the VR09. Roland EV5 and Boss EV30 are about the same with small throws and of that, only about the top 25% of the travel move any parameters. I found a Nektar NX-P to work reasonably well, but the VR09 seems to stop communication with it after sitting dormant for 10 or 15 minutes during the break after first set. Rebooting and flicking the switch does not seem to fix it. I’m quite sure it is not the pedal because it works flawlessly with every other synth, all the time. I had a M-Audio EX-P as a back-up, but stupidly left it in the case that was far off stage because the Nextar made it though the previous show without a hitch. The Moog EP3 and Yamaha FC7 (with Ashby adapter) both seem to max out at about 60% of the volume with the organs on the VR09…really hampers the expression I’m looking for.

Happened to find a Roland EV7 on Reverb this weekend after the Nektar went silent again at one our biggest shows of the year on Friday. Rather expensive for an old, heavily used pedal, but hoping that long throw will finally let that Roland organ sing…

You've probably seen this, but just in case:

https://v-combo.webspace.rocks/expression-pedal

4 hours ago, brenner13 said:

Ya…goes mile above my head…guess I’ll either have to study electrical schematics or finally replace that flawed gem that Roland seems to have abandoned while still selling units.

If it helps, I was able to do the mod without much difficulty.  If you have even rudimentary soldering skills, I'd be happy to talk you through it.  And FYI, I did it via some cheap Hosa adapters, so I didn't have to touch my VR-730 or my expression pedal.  

Alternately, you could just head to pretty much any music or electronic store where they do minor repairs and ask them to add the resistors to an adapter for you.  Just show them the relevant webpage!

• Like 1

Today I bought a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 guitar amp, a bit dusty but otherwise excellent. Thrift store score, with my 20% coupon it was $22.12 out the door including tax. 

I have another one of these that I put a Peavey Scorpion 10" speaker in and it's an excellent sounding amp. I have another Scorpion and a Weber NeoMag 10" so I can make another little hot rod monster amp with full effects. Fun!!!

PV_VIP1.jpg

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.