Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Made a studio-rat purchase. Took the plunge on Slate's VSX headphone system. Amazing what I can now hear. It's the little differences that, I hope, will add up to make a bigger difference in my mixes. TBD.

• Like 1

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

On 5/21/2024 at 2:35 AM, NewImprov said:

I know it's not very interesting, but, I got new keyboard stands!

I set up in an L configuration on bigger gigs, with a Rhodes facing front, and a 2-tier stand on my right with a Crumar Mojo and a Sequential Take 5. I don't use the legs on the Rhodes, I've found it way faster to use a a stand and just set the Rhodes on top. I had been using an older Z-stand for the Rhodes, and a K&M 18880 for the Crumar/Take 5. The Z-stand is fine, except it needs to be disassembled to move. The K&M broke recently on a gig, due to my own stupidity, clumsiness, and pure pissed-offedness, after a gig for which we ended up not getting paid, I was tearing down while mad and in a rush, and over-tweaked one of the bolts. Anyway...

I viewed this as an excuse to upgrade my stand game. I got this for the Rhodes, a Gator Frameworks WS250:

image.png.84cb44a3940cabd5848e1969bbd869e0.png

This stand is perfect for the Rhodes, it folds down to a small footprint, is really strong, and easy to setup.

And this for the 2-tier, a K&M Omega:

image.png.cadc046e10e17b9f457dab7951ea0efd.png

I have to admit, the price of the Omega kinda hurt, but, I gotta say, this is one of the nicest stands I've ever used. I like that you can set up the 2nd tier at any width, and it doesn't have to be centered on the lower keyboard, the Take 5 is considerably narrower than the Crumar, and I like to have it offset to the right, I had to put it on a shelf with the 18880, with this, I can put the right upper tier at the far right, and the a little off of center, and it works great.

So far, I'm really happy with both stands.

Here they are in use:

image.png.a66fbcbe2b09197e1520bde152c9ddd1.png

image.png.d4ba1790be23dc8d3da965694a5caa3c.png

I bought the Omega recently, with the stackers as well, though not the version with the folding legs but I assume they're very similar for the rest, VERY big and sturdy construction. I was seriously surprised about how industrial strenght and BIG it is, my Prologue and Opsix looks like toys on it.. hehe!

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Transcribe by SeventhString: https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

I've been learning the electric piano part for "Nothin But a Hearache" by Doobie Brothers.  Learning by slowing down Youtube has been ok, but now it's time to enlist the capabilities of Transcribe (EQ, marker placement, etc.).  Unfortunately it doesn't work with M4P files out of the box, so I'll try playing the audio out through an audio interface, with a cable connecting an output back to an input, and recording the audio in my DAW to create a file that Transcribe can use.

Spent months deciding which synth to get to use as couch keys - something to play whilst on the couch after a long day at work.

Basic criteria were
- small and light enough to be comfortable to use whilst sat on couch
- decent keyboard with min 37 notes
- strong preference for controls rather than menus for editing
- full synth, not just rompler
- Not Roland, purely because I already have a FANTOM 07 and wanted a different sound
- preferably full size keys and aftertouch
- good sound
- poly synth
- up to £750, new or used
- hardware, not software.

I looked at HYDRASYNTH explorer, Arturia Mini Freak, Novation MiniNova and Ultranova, Yamaha refaces, Korg modwave and Minilogue, Waldorf Blofeld, Modal Cobalt and Argon8.

Finally choose the Modal Argon8 because of the full size keys, sound and UI full of controls. First impressions are good. It's on the heavy side but perfect width and depth for couch use. Keyboard feels excellent, much better than any others I tried. Love the full size keys, it's a joy to play. First glance at all the controls was intimidating but an hour YouTube video and I was fine. Is very cleverly designed so everything is controllable by encoders and buttons, with a bit of shifting. No need to edit via menu.

It's my first Wavetable synth so still learning my way around the waveforms, morphing, wave mod functions and suchlike. It sounds great, I prefer it to both the mini freak and HYDRASYNTH explorer.

And the Modal app that comes with it is truly outstanding. This is how it should be for everything. It's cross platform, has library patch management, full editing of all functions, works inside a DAW as a VST or standalone and even does firmware updates. Within 5 mins of installing, it had detected the old firmware, downloaded the latest version and installed it on the synth. All I had to do was click OK. Roland, Yamaha, Korg, are you listening?

I think I've made a great choice. Lots of fun evenings ahead.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

No keys related but... I could not resist 😬

Fender Stratocaster 75th Anniversary Diamond (Mex made). A 2021 model, sold locally in 9/2022 (have the invoice). Despite price tag, I paid 500€ for it, along the original gig bag

IMG_20240603_112431.thumb.jpg.1066bedfc18aa9e9a34171b49e223b1e.jpg

IMG_20240603_112515.thumb.jpg.e7c436b4c474772d4aafcb495c30f750.jpg

IMG_20240603_112530.thumb.jpg.88889fbf3524c860dfa663f84b791620.jpg

IMG_20240603_112553.thumb.jpg.2a306ff960dea96b60feb8323673042e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

15 hours ago, Ibarch said:

Spent months deciding which synth to get to use as couch keys - something to play whilst on the couch after a long day at work.

Basic criteria were
- small and light enough to be comfortable to use whilst sat on couch
- decent keyboard with min 37 notes
- strong preference for controls rather than menus for editing
- full synth, not just rompler
- Not Roland, purely because I already have a FANTOM 07 and wanted a different sound
- preferably full size keys and aftertouch
- good sound
- poly synth
- up to £750, new or used
- hardware, not software.

I looked at HYDRASYNTH explorer, Arturia Mini Freak, Novation MiniNova and Ultranova, Yamaha refaces, Korg modwave and Minilogue, Waldorf Blofeld, Modal Cobalt and Argon8.

Finally choose the Modal Argon8 because of the full size keys, sound and UI full of controls. First impressions are good. It's on the heavy side but perfect width and depth for couch use. Keyboard feels excellent, much better than any others I tried. Love the full size keys, it's a joy to play. First glance at all the controls was intimidating but an hour YouTube video and I was fine. Is very cleverly designed so everything is controllable by encoders and buttons, with a bit of shifting. No need to edit via menu.

It's my first Wavetable synth so still learning my way around the waveforms, morphing, wave mod functions and suchlike. It sounds great, I prefer it to both the mini freak and HYDRASYNTH explorer.

And the Modal app that comes with it is truly outstanding. This is how it should be for everything. It's cross platform, has library patch management, full editing of all functions, works inside a DAW as a VST or standalone and even does firmware updates. Within 5 mins of installing, it had detected the old firmware, downloaded the latest version and installed it on the synth. All I had to do was click OK. Roland, Yamaha, Korg, are you listening?

I think I've made a great choice. Lots of fun evenings ahead.

I have the module version, you for sure have a lot of fun ahead of you, it's a stunning little machine!

• Like 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I finally did it--bought Omnisphere.  A decade late but it's not like I've been hurting for good plugins.

I have used Atmosphere from Spectrasonics, and Omni 1 a bit a long time ago, so I knew this plugin was a good fit for me sound-wise.  I let the cost and an ornery "not going to do what everyone is doing" streak influence me.   Meanwhile over the years I've bought a lot of cheaper plugins that add up to more than the cost of Omnisphere, and most of them I don't even use.  Doh!

Anyway, fyi if you get coupons from musician's friend and maybe guitar center in your email, these actually work on Omnisphere.  It's really the only "sale" that it ever has.  15% is not a joke.   Downside is I had to buy the usb stick version so I couldn't start downloading right away--it arrives today!

Been watching vids on it and man it is a powerhouse synth.  Sure it has samples and a gazillion presets, but it's a synth too with some amazing capabilities.   I LOVE the ability to "lock" certain aspect of a patch while you go to other patches--for example if you like the arp on a patch, but want to use a different sound, you lock it!   Every patch you try will "inherit" that arp.  This is genius.  Same feature apparently allows you to lock the fx, so if you are like me and prefer often to use DAW reverb and turn off patch reverb, I believe I can lock it down while I audition more presets (though I'm not sure if that is ALL fx or can be limited to reverb, we'll see). 

Is it enough to make me use it live?  Probably not.  My sticking point there has never been the sounds, it's the logistics of a laptop.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

I finally did it--bought Omnisphere.  

I bought Omnisphere a few years ago with the intention of playing live. It was the wealth and quality of presets that attracted me. It didnt work out for gigs with my new band as I didn't like the non weighted keys of a midi controller or the extra hassle of gigging with a laptop. So I ended up with a Fantom 0.

A few years on I'm getting much more into synthesis and designing my own sounds. I'm only just starting to realise what Omnisphere can do. Hardware is my preference at the moment, I don't want to be on a computer again in the evenings after working on one all day. So Omnisphere is in the 'will get back to it soon' box for now. 

I have since started using Omnisphere presets for playing down my local church. They already have a 20 year old stage piano so taking the laptop is no issue. It has some amazing pads but I can lose days browsing them. The only issue is that it doesn't support Sostenuto which is a shame. 

Omnisphere for me is a big reason why an iPad is not of interest, the other being Keyscape. Together they beat anything else - in software - out the park. 

On 5/22/2024 at 9:59 AM, kelp said:

Made a studio-rat purchase. Took the plunge on Slate's VSX headphone system. Amazing what I can now hear. It's the little differences that, I hope, will add up to make a bigger difference in my mixes. TBD.

Any thoughts after a couple of weeks? I'm considering them. 

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

3 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

Same here.  My room isn't great acoustically and we are likely moving in a couple years so I don't want to spend money to treat it...so headphones it is most of the time.   Unfortunately as someone who bargain hunts, the only sales I've seen on these VSX  have been either for more profiles, or on the more expensive ones (which I think is the same as the cheaper but has more profiles) :) 

I'm super skeptical of magic tech, whether it be plugins, hardware, lawn mowers or whatever.   I was really skeptical of this, but I have to say I've read so many forum posts saying they work great that I'm becoming convinced.

To the OP--do you think they are more detailed due to whatever they have that emulates speakers, or are they just better headphones than you are used to?  Reason I ask is when I upgraded to my Massdrop HD600 (HD58X), I was hearing things much clearer than with my older phones.  Certainly HD600s are not top of the line, but they were definitely a step up.

On 6/4/2024 at 3:57 PM, Mike Martin said:

@Mike Martin - I'm a convert. I've been using them exclusively since the purchase and was very pleased with my first mix using them. It made mixing more fun because I could do it quicker. Rather, make quicker decisions I was happy with. I mostly use the Archon room - its mid-fields tend to be a popular choice. Near the end of a mix I'll pop over to the Auratones in Steven's room. That's been enlightening more than once, particularly in setting final vocal and snare levels. Lastly, and this is their big selling point, hearing bass clearly. I do have to watch my volumes. It can be fun to turn things up. Gotta take breaks - a healthy practice regardless. All the marketing hype and reviews I've read... have been true for me.

@Stokely - I mix in a small room. It has Yamaha HS50Ms with a sub plus a fair amount of treatment. I've been using Sonarworks for about two years. I recently picked up a pair of Rode NTH-100 headphones and would use them from time to time, again with Sonarworks correction and their virtual room add-on. I thought I was set. I thought it was pretty decent. I now trust VSX more than any of the previous options. I'd venture the software is a much bigger factor than the headphone quality (compared to the Rode).  

• Like 1

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

I made what is probably a dumb impulse purchase. 

My first string instrument (not counting my parents’ guitars) was Mandolin.  I started piano at age 6. A year or two later I wanted a guitar.  I got some money for my birthday.  The only instrument in the JC Penny catalog I could afford was a $25 A style Mandolin. I still have it.   For this birthday I decided to get a decent Mandolin.

I enjoy Bluegrass jams and my Dobro is getting heavy. My banjo is heavier and my banjo skills are not great.  I’m a decent guitarist but there are too many guitar players at these events.  I can’t play fiddle.   The Mandolin is small.  😀.   I pick it up today. 

• Like 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Well, I didn't really mean to buy it but I ended up with some DJ software because I forgot to cancel before the end of the 7-day trial. I'm definitely not a DJ but it came in handy when I helped out at my guitarist's son's wedding last weekend, so it's only right to buy it anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like it.  It’s a lower cost mandolin.  It’s a Gold Tone.  They are built in China and setup and prepped in Florida.   Spruce top, maple neck, ebony fretboard, maple back and sides.  It plays well and sounds okay.   

6E380F5D-0E77-48C1-A0CC-9C2B0055EBE6.jpeg

141822B2-43D1-4C7F-A176-F6D6C312A8C0.jpeg

62AA3F7F-1AD0-4F9D-BF4E-0D78B2C5E6E5.jpeg

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have made the purchase of some new recording gear.

First, an additional high-end, large diaphragm tube mic made by Warm Audio, the WA-47 which was on a month-long special. 

Second purchase, was a Warm Audio WA-12 Mic/Line Discrete Pre-Amp. Warm Audio had another month-long special and tossed in a total of 4 high-end, very rugged, snake-skin-type XLR mic cables These were custom made in Switzerland by Gotham Cables.

The WA-47 mic was so big and heavy, that I had to purchase a Triad-Orbit Mic Stand Package, Boom and Accessories to support all of the weight.

Then I decided to get an Impact Sand-Filled Saddle Bag to balance the mic on the stand/boom combo safely.

Please see below for photos of all of these products.

WA-47.jpeg

WA-12.png

T-3.jpeg

Boom.jpeg

Bag.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Cool 1
  • Love 1

Just grabbed some strings for my MPC Key 37, sounds amazing and great options for timbres and setup of the sound, unfortunately ridiculous memory hog, two instances and 70% of the RAM is gone.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

On 6/8/2024 at 4:47 PM, dacm said:

I have made the purchase of some new recording gear.

First, an additional high-end, large diaphragm tube mic made by Warm Audio, the WA-47 which was on a month-long special. 

Second purchase, was a Warm Audio WA-12 Mic/Line Discrete Pre-Amp. Warm Audio had another month-long special and tossed in a total of 4 high-end, very rugged, snake-skin-type XLR mic cables These were custom made in Switzerland by Gotham Cables.

The WA-47 mic was so big and heavy, that I had to purchase a Triad-Orbit Mic Stand Package, Boom and Accessories to support all of the weight.

Then I decided to get an Impact Sand-Filled Saddle Bag to balance the mic on the stand/boom combo safely.

Please see below for photos of all of these products.

WA-47.jpeg

WA-12.png

T-3.jpeg

Boom.jpeg

Bag.jpeg

I lovelovelove my WA-47. I occasionally freelance at a studio that has a semi-legendary late-50's Telefunken U47, I've used that mic on a tenor sax player I've recorded there a lot, and it sounds fantastic. They also had several U47 clones by various manufacturers, that listed in the $3-5k range. A few years ago, I noticed they had a pair of the WA47's, their engineer told me they'd gotten them to review for a magazine, and they tested them against the Telefunken and all the clones, and that, while the real thing definitely won out, The WA and the more expensive clones were virtually indistinguishable from each other. I picked up mine a few months later. Also got a pair of their 87 clones, and a pair of their 84 clones, they are all great mics. I have a pair of their Neve 1073 clone preamps that I also like. I saw they just released a ribbon mic that clones the old RCA, I may get one of those next.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I have finally got the VSL Synchron Concert D-274 full library, as all the Synchron pianos are now on offer.

Hint: VSL has just drastically reduced the installed size of the pianos by using lossless compression, and that will be applied to any piano you already have. Can't wait to free some hundreds of GB from all my music computers!

More info here:

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/News/2024-06_Piano_Celebration

• Cool 1

Roland's Fantom EX upgrade for my Fantom 7. Mainly looking forward to the shimmer reverb and German Concert V-Piano, for my worship gigs (got a full week of them at a camp this coming week).

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments