Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Product page doesn't have specs yet. Wonder if it has drum loops like the CP-5. Also, can the AUX input be used for mics? I like the separate volume control of the mic input on the CP-5.

Go here and then click on the tabs for features, specs and audio/video demos.

CP4 Features page

Director of Marketing

Pro Audio and Combo Division

Yamaha Corporation of America

Product page doesn't have specs yet. Wonder if it has drum loops like the CP-5. Also, can the AUX input be used for mics? I like the separate volume control of the mic input on the CP-5.

There are some details that are harder to glean from the spec page.

There are no MIDI drum loops, but you can record and playback audio directly from a USB drive.

You could put the mic into an analog mixer and send that output to the aux input, but the CP4 was not designed to have an integrated mic input with effects like the CP5.

The CP4 is three Parts ( Main, Layer and Split), The CP5 is actually five ( LH 1&2 , RH1 &2 and a Mic Input Part which is also stored with each Performance).

Again we just want to make people have the information to make informed decisions.

Director of Marketing

CP4 Features page

Can´t find anything about MIDI except I/O ports.

Does the CP4 at least have one external MIDI zone, ideally on/off switchable on the fly and w/ some user selectable/adjustable controller assignments ?

5-Pin DIN MIDI and USB transmit the same MIDI data (mirrored) or are independent ?

Any MIDI implementation chart available ?

A.C.

Am I the only one who thinks the very first audio demo, the one for the CFX piano, sounds like the perfect cross between Vince Guaraldi and Bruce Hornsby?

Anyway, I thought the AP demos sounded great. Rhodes were decent, but then I got to the Wurly and remembered, "Oh yeah, that's what that sounds like." I always found the Wurly in the CP5 completely uninspiring, and based on the demo, it sounds like the same one. GAS effectively cured, at least for the time being.

CP4 Features page

Can´t find anything about MIDI except I/O ports.

Does the CP4 at least have one external MIDI zone, ideally on/off switchable on the fly and w/ some user selectable/adjustable controller assignments ?

5-Pin DIN MIDI and USB transmit the same MIDI data (mirrored) or are independent ?

Any MIDI implementation chart available ?

A.C.

The internal three Parts ( Main,Layer and Split) are fixed to MIDI channels 1,2 and 3.

Completely separate from that the CP4 and 40 have 4 zone MIDI controller functionality with key/ velocity layers, bank and program assignment and controller routing. Basically it is similar to the external zones would find on a Motif in Master Mode if you are familiar with that.

So for example you could be playing on MIDI channels 1,2,3 internally and transmit on MIDI channels 4,5,6 and 7 externally.

Director of Marketing

....it's called "CP stage SERIES"....

Is there hope for a CP400 ??? (int. speakers)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

I'm not in the market right now but this would be at the top of my investigation list for a bottom tier if I was.

As a convenience, here is the page comparing the CP4 and the CP40:

CP4/40 Comparison

For my purposes, there appears to be just enough in the CP4 (extra sounds, 3 part vs. 2, internal power, wood keys) to make it worth the extra $500.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

For my purposes, there appears to be just enough in the CP4 (extra sounds, 3 part vs. 2, internal power, wood keys) to make it worth the extra $500.

Yes, I think the CP5 is definitely the way to go if possible. Other niceties: balanced outs, a second foot controller jack, more EQ. And besides the bigger selection of AWM2 (Motif) sounds, there's a pretty big difference in the range of Piano/EP sounds available, too. We knew that the 40 didn't have the CFX pianos, it looks like it doesn't have the S6 either.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The internal three Parts ( Main,Layer and Split) are fixed to MIDI channels 1,2 and 3.

Completely separate from that the CP4 and 40 have 4 zone MIDI controller functionality with key/ velocity layers, bank and program assignment and controller routing. Basically it is similar to the external zones would find on a Motif in Master Mode if you are familiar with that.

So for example you could be playing on MIDI channels 1,2,3 internally and transmit on MIDI channels 4,5,6 and 7 externally.

Thx for the reply Athan, that sounds good to me.

I´m not familiar w/ Master Mode on the Motifs, the Yamaha gear I used over the decades and still use is much older.

I´d be highly interested in the info whether external ZONEs/MIDI channels can be muted/unmuted on the fly by the user or not.

It´s not a dealbreaker if not because I see that feature rarely, but it would be excellent if it worked.

A.C.

How's the Hammond Sound ?

It will be some version of a Motif XS/MOX Hammond sound, so don't look for anything really clonewheel-like out of it. Probably good enough to get you by for a lot of stuff, though. Especially if you'd consider playing organ from a weighted action in the first place. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm just a little bit excited to say I'm first inline at Sweetwater!

Can't wait for this baby to arrive!

Can't wait for your post about how you don't like it and you're sending it back. ;)

No, that's me. I was able to obtain one yesterday morning. Used on the gig last night, didn't dig it, put on CL when I got home..and there's someone on the way over now to buy it. Oh well, on to the next one. At least I gave it a shot. :laugh:

got what? the CP 4? Sorry, if I sound confused, don't have time to re-read thread.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

put on CL when I got home..and there's someone on the way over now to buy it. Oh well, on to the next one. At least I gave it a shot. :laugh:

Wow, that's quick...

I listened to the demos on my big (neutral, low distortion, full range) 5 way, 3 way multi-amped monitoring system. Of course many have by now listened to them, but what struck me most that as far as I can judge it's a musical machine that allows you to "play" with the notes to create individual interpretations, nice or rough sounding pianos, and may be the first machine that combines FM-type qualities (after all, FM is to a certain extend also in piano strings) with "hard" sounds (almost like the Rolands), and yet maintain variation and a musical sound with expression.

Having said that, I had the early Clavinova feel with some of the first sounds, and that isn't a nice feel, I hated that sound. But honestly, in this case not for being polite, I think there's variations and lots of playing styles possible with the machine that I'd dig.

T

No, that's me. I was able to obtain one yesterday morning. Used on the gig last night, didn't dig it, put on CL when I got home..and there's someone on the way over now to buy it. Oh well, on to the next one. At least I gave it a shot. :laugh:

Dave: Please, more info... A lot of us respect your opinion and I would like to know more about why it didn't work for you. Your comments about the CP5 were part of why I bought one six months ago and I really like it. I was considering selling my CP5 to get a CP4 for the lighter weight and seemingly improved piano. Thanks for your feedback.

John