Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read the manual,... I cannot believe Yamaha has left out the option for decent layering with adjustable key range etc.

When you read the "reference manual" and go to "performance" > "master keyboard" sections, you´ll clearly see all the parameters being user adjustable for 4 outgoing MIDI zones.

What you call "key window" is "note limit (Low/Hi)" in Yamaha land.

There are 23 Zone parameters available for each outgoing MIDI Zone.

I already have a KURZ PC361,- so I´m extremely interested in this Yamaha Stage Piano now and since I´ve read what it can do MIDI wise.

The CP40Stage and the PC361 might be a ideal combo, especially because it offers expression pedal inputs which I missed in the Casio PX-5S.

A.C.

My layer is piano across the full 88 keys and bass over the bottom end up to E3. To me, this makes perfect sense for so many types of music. Certain pop music tracks aside, I have never understood why people want to lose the left hand of the piano when they layer a bass sound. It would be the equivalent of someone playing bass guitar whilst the guy on the grand piano only uses his right hand. Why do people want that!? I hope the CP4 can still do what I need, retaining piano across the full 88 keys.

Having read the manual, I can now answer my own question. The CP4 cannot do what I require it to do. Its zoning capability is alarmingly basic and completely rules it out for me, and I imagine, most serious stage performers. I will now be buying the Kurzweil Artis I guess, even though I am not so keen on its action or weight and bulk. I cannot believe Yamaha has left out the option for decent layering with adjustable key range etc.

Is it missing anything for besides being able to layer on the left part of a split?

I wonder if you could get the additional flexibility you want by turning Local Off, running a MIDI cable from the MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN, and setting up the splits and layers you want as Master Keyboard zones?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm kind of surprised that Bosendorfer samples aren't finding their way into any Yamaha products yet, but am not sure how vertically integrated the two companies are at this point.

I sense it's part of Yamaha's brand strategy that their digital pianos are an integral part of the overall piano range, from big acoustics down. Adding the Bosendorfer name into that might arguably confuse the picture and perhaps in some eyes potentially dilute and cheapen the Bosie brand.

I played the Yamaha C3X a few months ago and it sounded nothing like the previous C3s I have played... dare I say more Bosendorfer in some ways?

I already have a KURZ PC361,- so I´m extremely interested in this Yamaha Stage Piano now and since I´ve read what it can do MIDI wise.

The CP40Stage and the PC361 might be a ideal combo, especially because it offers expression pedal inputs which I missed in the Casio PX-5S.

A.C.

That's my current setup, and I have also been thinking a Yamaha stage piano would be a great companion to the pc361. I have a weighted controller driving (mostly) piano from the pc361, but I'd prefer another board with sounds for several reasons. I'm curious as to how this stacks up against the cp50 as far as action and "other sounds"...I can get one of those for a bit more than half the new price used.

Having read the manual,... I cannot believe Yamaha has left out the option for decent layering with adjustable key range etc.

When you read the "reference manual" and go to "performance" > "master keyboard" sections, you´ll clearly see all the parameters being user adjustable for 4 outgoing MIDI zones.

What you call "key window" is "note limit (Low/Hi)" in Yamaha land.

There are 23 Zone parameters available for each outgoing MIDI Zone.

A.C.

Presumably, you can only do this with external sounds though. I am not keen to hook up a module. Could you confirm? Thanks for your help

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Presumably, you can only do this with external sounds though. I am not keen to hook up a module. Could you confirm? Thanks for your help

This gets back to what I was saying a couple of posts up. If you set it for Local Off and loop the MIDI jacks together, you essentially should be able to turn it into its own "external sound module." It would still be capable of only a total of three sounds at a time, but you should be able to split/layer/combine them in any way you like.

But yes, an external module could solve this also (maybe better), and for basic needs, that module could easily just be something like an iPad Mini. That would certainly handle something like your scenario of wanting to play piano from the CP4 and double up with a bass sound below a certain key.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

How confirming when not tested ?

According to the owners manual and reference manual, there are Main, Split AND Layer possibilities for the internal sounds of the CP4 and CP40 is Main, Split OR Layer only.

In fact you define a split point and w/ the CP4 you´re able to specify a layer for the left or right part of the keyboard and in addition to the split.

That´s what the manuals says and now I´m not sure if that´s all because there´s more possible w/ the external ZONEs.

Maybe they forgot to mention "note limit" for the layered part inside a Split or it requires a software update or it wasn´t planned.

To do the "local off" trick Another Scott mentioned, for the internal parts there´s the "Receive" switch activating MIDI In and followed by a series of parameters comparable to these for the outgoing MIDI ZONEs.

According to the "note limits" for internal patches and over MIDI, I think Yamaha expects you´d do that w/ the controller (or DAW sequencer) transmitting MIDI to the CP4.

A.C.

Has anyone actually played this yet? Sounds interesting. Thing is, the CP boards Ive owned had great action, but the mox8 I recently sold had action done in China and was so unpianolike that it had to go. Not enjoyable at all. I would be wondering about whats up w/the 4's action. 38lbs, what Ive read, is on the border.

I bought a demo CP5 and can still return it or sell it.

Aside from weight... what are the advantages of CP4? This is a loong thread.. which is a good thing. But a short summary would help me and those new to thread! ;-)

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I bought a demo CP5 and can still return it or sell it.

Aside from weight... what are the advantages of CP4?

The CFX piano sample, the simpler interface. The action is slightly different, but that's not to say everyone will agree that it's better. There are also some feature differences. You should download the manuals for both, and compare. That will give you both an idea about the feature differences, and the complexity differences.

That's great news about the character of the CFX piano. Now I am more eager than ever to try this board out! Thanks for the info.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I sent my CP-5 back. It was kinda sad. The deciding factor for me was the weight issue. 17 lbs is substantial. I'm really looking forward to the new piano sample and am so glad they reinstated the mod wheel. The dealer gave me an even swap with no charge for a restocking fee. I only had to eat the $50 shipping and I have to wait until the end of November :(

17 lbs is substantial.

Yup. And for less than that you can put a clonewheel over your CP4!

Speaking of clonewheels.... has anybody gotten an idea as to whether or not the CP-4 will have organ sounds?

Yamaha has been dissapointing in the past regarding this. Has anybody at Yamaha been paying any attention to how important this is to a lot of us?

My old P-200 had a somewhat neat adjustable drawbar organ. I know I know.... the keys aren't right for it anyway but it can be useful for things like rehearsals and recording, or situations where you might like not to have to bring two boards.

With 300 other sounds you might think....

Anyway there hasn't been mention of this.

According to the downloadable data list: 50 organ sounds in the CP4, 32 in the CP40. These are a combination of tonewheel style, transistor, and pipe. Presumably all from the Motif XS or XF sound set.

I'm not crazy about Motif organs either. Would love a nice clone wheel on top. Have dreamed about it! My biggest concern is the leslie effect. The one on the CP-5 was considerably weak. The tone of the organ wasn't all that bad. I hope they've improved the leslie effect and with the addition of the mod wheel to trigger it I can get by. Then start saving for a Nord :)

Is editing a sound very limited as is generally the case with stage pianos?

The EP's sound really good.. AP's too. Strings and ac basses I would want to edit a lot!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I am glad I am getting to hear the Rhodes samples, even though he doesn't spend much time with them....

The first and the fourth ones don't sound natural to me but the second and third ( '73 Suitcase and '75 RD) definitely show promise , especially the '75.

I like a lot of warmth in the lower register ( my 1979 suitcase is set for this) and of all the models, the '75 is most like what I am used to hearing.

I am hoping that attempts at programming "character" don't dominate over capturing the fundamental Rhodes tone. A common mistake IMO.

The Wurli also sounds pretty nice.

(Of course) organs are barely represented, though the sim sounds like an improvement over the CP-5.

Still, a lot to consider here. And finally, AP's and EP's in a rationally weighted package.

That guy sure loves his G7 chord. Could be worse, could be a "YouTube demo guy" who only knows how to move one triad around the C Major scale, and a bunch of some generic blues scale noodling for the Clav sounds. And all sounds are demoed by hitting the middle C. ;)

Other than the new acoustic grand, I don't hear sonically that big of a difference to the CP1/5 (using crappy iPad speaker).

The 71 and 73 Rhodes models in the CP5 are very plastic-y, though, and I hope they've improved on them. It kind of sounds like they might have.

The 75 was the best one in the CP5 as well. Although I have always had a perverse preference to the Mark V and the Dyno (78Rd on the CP).

The reduced weight and the beefier keyboard touch does interest me, so I'll wait to try one out before parting with my CP5 for the 4.