Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4

We don't think you will be disappointed, the SCM on the EP sounds does eliminate any velocity switches.

Thanks Athan! Is it the same technology as the CP1 and 5 or adapted in some way? I still think Nord have a great selling point with the Flash ROM. Would be great if Yamaha had a similar board but for me its between those two companies atm.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And then there was the fact that Yamaha simply would not put a usable electric piano together with something like the CP33.

This highlights a problem that, IMO, has plagued Yamaha for many years: not significantly upgrading the non-AP sounds (specifically EPs) in the P and CP series digital pianos. At the very least, the CP33 should've had one Motif-caliber Rhodes and one Motif-caliber Wurli. And the EP sounds in the "new" P105/P35 are embarrassingly out of date. It's WAY past time that Yamaha up their EP game in the P series.

So, if Yamaha came out with a CP-1 killer, would they call it a "CP-0?"

I vote for CP-3PO.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

...very, very few people actually layered anything on their left hand, using the LH exclusively for bass.

My layer is piano across the full 88 keys and bass over the bottom end up to E3. To me, this makes perfect sense for so many types of music. Certain pop music tracks aside, I have never understood why people want to lose the left hand of the piano when they layer a bass sound. It would be the equivalent of someone playing bass guitar whilst the guy on the grand piano only uses his right hand. Why do people want that!? I hope the CP4 can still do what I need, retaining piano across the full 88 keys.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

So, if Yamaha came out with a CP-1 killer, would they call it a "CP-0?"

I vote for CP-3PO.

:laugh:

This thread is cracking me up. I called my Sweetwater keyboard rep yesterday and they don't know anything about the CP4!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Cracks me up too. My rep had not heard anything either. He said sending the CP-5 back was no problem if I wanted to wait on a CP-4. He also said feel free to take it out of the box and play it. I have 30 days as of last Friday. This is my dilemma: I don't know the date of true availability for the CP-4. I read where Athan said Oct.1 for dealers. I would love to play one before making a decision. It's a no brainer except for the change of keyboard action. Dave Ferris mentioned that the action is heavier. The action on the CP-5 is perfect for me. I love it. I've had carpal tunnel surgery and struggle a bit with a real heavy action. Having the new piano sample, Motif sounds, significantly lighter weight are all huge plusses in my opinion. I'm fine with the interface of the CP-5 and love the action. I hate making decisions without first trying but it appears I will not get that chance.

Having the new piano sample, Motif sounds, significantly lighter weight are all huge plusses in my opinion.

I believe that the CP5 and CP4 both have Motif-derived non-piano sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This is torture... I just ordered a CP-5 and it arrived today. I haven't even taken it out of the box and then I saw this thread. I have 30 days to return it. I'll have to eat the shipping but it might be worth it for the 16 less pounds.

Me too! Mine is a beat demo... scratched up on the side and all, but $1300.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

wee small correction....the Motif ES actually uses 3.3v SmartMedia cards, not Compact Flash (which are actually currently even harder to come by) but I wanted to make sure that anyone using this thread either for research or future purchasing information had the correct facts.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Can't wait to try it.... hope the Rhodes sounds are good on it... with no velocity switching...

I don't recall hearing any obvious velocity switching when I've played the CP1/CP5's Rhodes sounds, and I've played them many times. Perhaps Busch can confirm; I'm sure he did more critical listening when he had the CP1.

We don't think you will be disappointed, the SCM on the EP sounds does eliminate any velocity switches.

Hi, Athan, & thank you so much for your input on these forums! May I inquire as to whether Yamaha has considered a weighted GH 76 key Stage Keyboard or Piano with SCM sounds specifically for those of us travelling or gigging frequently? I currently have several of the older Roland S/A pianos including an RD-250s that I still gig with because I can't stand using looped samples on my live primary keyboard (AP/EP/clav) sounds. I do use modules frequently, including a TX7 so the external controller capability is still greatly appreciated. Such a small but powerful weighted Piano/controller would especially be useful in small stage/bottom tier scenarios. And adding the 4 clav pickup position sounds would be also appreciated, also.

Best regards!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Got lucky and found a store that had the Clavinova CLP-470 and CVP-509 in stock. These were the two models that were mentioned as having the same action as the CP-4. The actions on both were very good, especially on the CVP-509. I would say significantly heavier than what's on the CP-5. But I liked it.

I called my Sweetwater keyboard rep yesterday and they don't know anything about the CP4!

Time to get a new rep.

Simon Picazo at Sweetwater is great. He knew all about it, and has played the CP4 - said he loved it!

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

This new offering looks interesting. Like most I'm watching who is coming out with updated top quality stage keyboards this year. The cp4 seems to be the first of hopefully at least a couple. Looking for the best that comes out, like everyone, and advancements well for the price don't see any jaw dropping stuff. Just my general 2 cents, how can these young startup software co.'s offer top draw grand piano sound files, and established big technical piano co.'s can't offer the same variety and top quality acoustic grands and how about installing a gig. or 2 of flash memory. Nobody else want some real top quality concert grands files onboard to choose, rather than the laptop, software, and all that stuff. Nord seems like the only one who's trying to be cooperative. CP4 or maybe if 700nx gets an update most likely my best bet, I guess.

how can these young startup software co.'s offer top draw grand piano sound files, and established big technical piano co.'s can't offer the same variety and top quality acoustic grands and how about installing a gig. or 2 of flash memory.

The small companies you talk about have the advantage of not having to design or manufacture any hardware... you're supplying probably about $2k worth of computer and keyboard electronics to make their software work (and you accept the complications that come along with using commodity computer hardware/OS).

The kind of flash memory needed to be able to load different piano models into hardware and have them instantly playable is pricey, one reason Nords aren't cheap. Yamaha is offering that kind of flash in a new low end model, the MOXF. But even then, 1 gB of flash memory is a $300 option. What's different about the new CPs, though, is it's not just the samples, but all the processing. There are nice Motif XF piano samples you'll presumably be able to load into the MOXF, but they still won't give you all the piano subtleties that are programmed into the CP1/5/50/4/40.

We posted that picture awhile back on our Facebook page and no one noticed the CP4 behind Chuck and Matt Clifford who came to check out both the CP4 , but also the CFX acoustic as well. Nice detective work, the cat is almost all of of the tube and there is no getting the toothpaste back in the bag.

Director of Marketing

Pro Audio and Combo Division

Yamaha Corporation of America

Just my general 2 cents, how can these young startup software co.'s offer top draw grand piano sound files, and established big technical piano co.'s can't offer the same variety and top quality acoustic grands and how about installing a gig. or 2 of flash memory. Nobody else want some real top quality concert grands files onboard to choose, rather than the laptop, software, and all that stuff. Nord seems like the only one who's trying to be cooperative. CP4 or maybe if 700nx gets an update most likely my best bet, I guess.

Err, you mean like a Motif XF with two GB Flash boards which is still about the same price as the Nord. We are offering the CP1 and S700 piano sample as well as Chick Corea's Rhodes in Motif Premium Collection which is made free to customers who buy a Motif XF.

On another note, there are certain things that software does really well which is why we have close relationships with a lot of third party software and content developers. For example, the sound developers for Ivory often work on sound content projects for Yamaha. Many developers use Yamaha hardware keyboards when developing their software so when you play the software from a Yamaha it tends to feel natural.

At Yamaha, we don't think it's hardware vs software , but both working together to provide customers what they need in different situations.

Director of Marketing

Pro Audio and Combo Division

Yamaha Corporation of America

Motif XF8 . I feel like a Big Dummy. I was unaware of the details of this model. I'm looking Ideally for 88key, new realistic keyboard action, and some memory to store 1 or 2 of the best available acoustic grand piano(s), so I can just setup in den, back porch, etc., couple monitors and still have big grand sound all self contained. While the XF8 has so much more than I need (not a bad thing) not sure which action is present. However, the Motif XF8 was(if not everything)exactly what I was asking for, and I thank you for your advice.