Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4

I may have asked this before, and missed the answer.. how deep is the editing on this board.. comparable to the Motif?

I suspect the answer is "not very". But that's not really what the CP line is about.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The delivery date for this has just slipped from Oct 8 to Nov 8 according to our local dealer. :(

Keyboard Girl & I were hoping to A/B it against the PX-5S.

We were just looking through the data sheet, and it seems that the presets are "as it comes". There doesn't seem to be any provision for making/saving your own sounds/voices.

The only dealings either of us have had with Yamaha was an old MM6 that KG used to own. She says she thinks that had individual instruments on the "strings" section, such as violin, which seem to be absent from the CP4. All that I remember, is that a lot of the sounds seemed to be fairly cheesy, but I believe some of the CP4 sounds come from the Motif or MOX, which neither of us have ever heard, but I assume were better than the MM6.

Does anyone know:-

If there is a "favourites" provision on this?

What the extra sounds are like?

I wonder if we may be better considering Anotherscott's current GAS, the MOXF, but as I say, we're not au fait with Yamaha at all. Is the User Interface as bad as people make out?

Thanks all, SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

So I was at my local GC at lunch today.

Hidden in a dark corner of the keyboard room were both a new CP4 and a new MOXF8.

Of course I now have gas. I'm going to plan more time tomorrow to play with them, but I'll give my very first brief impressions.

CP4: Played beautifully. The keybed action felt extremely nice to me. Even better than my old CP33. It just connected.

The sound, even through the crappy amps were excellent. Layering was simple and compared to my old CP33, having the dedicated button to turn off layering (above the voice sliders) is a nice touch.

MOXF8: I didn't dig too deeply into it. I am very familiar with the entire layout and keybed since I've been gigging with an MOX8. The keybed is no CP4, but it's a compromise I make to get the sounds without the weight and cost of a MOTIF.

The main thing I wanted to test was polyphony. So, I created some performances just as I use now with a few layers.

I may have induced GAS in myself as there was no note stealing that I sometimes get on my MOX8. Also, the lighted buttons will help on those dark stages (although I solved that a while back via a USB light plugged into the board itself).

Tomorrow I'm going to take my jump drive and load my setup since it's supposed to be compatible with my .x4a files.

I'll have more first hand impressions when I get to spend more time.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

^ oh man, I hope someone here in O-town gets these in! (I've never seen a cp50 or cp5 at Sam Ash or GC here).

I have played the mox8 and the p155, which I understand has the same action as the cp50. I wonder if the cp40 has that same action, and how the cp4 compares to it (?) I'd prefer light action, and I've read that the cp5 has a lighter action than the cp50. Then to complicate things, I've read the cp4 is different (and heavier) than the cp5!

That may be the most confusing-to-read paragraph I've ever written...probably only proves that action is a thing to try and not to read about :P

^ oh man, I hope someone here in O-town gets these in! (I've never seen a cp50 or cp5 at Sam Ash or GC here).

I have played the mox8 and the p155, which I understand has the same action as the cp50. I wonder if the cp40 has that same action, and how the cp4 compares to it (?) I'd prefer light action, and I've read that the cp5 has a lighter action than the cp50. Then to complicate things, I've read the cp4 is different (and heavier) than the cp5!

That may be the most confusing-to-read paragraph I've ever written...probably only proves that action is a thing to try and not to read about :P

Ha!! I totally understood what you are saying. No worries :thu:

I have never [played any of the boards you mentioned, so I can't comment. I was completely surprised my local GC had both on the floor, albeit a bit hidden and with no labeling/price tags up yet.

I thought the CP4 ha d bit lighter but more solid feeling action than my old CP33, if that even makes sense :idk

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

My bandleader should get his in a couple of weeks according to his Sweetwater rep. Should be interesting how it compares to his CP1.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Christmas came on Oct. 1st! Got home from work and there it was. I was shocked being told that I wouldn't receive it until late Nov. Well, I'm not on par with others when it comes to reviews but here's a short one. If you have a CP-4 on preorder it may come sooner than expected. Also, I had a CP-5 for a week when I heard the news of the CP-4. RMC Audio let me exchange it. One funny note. The day the CP-5 returned it sold. The buyer was not interested in a CP-4 and specifically wanted a CP-5. I felt better about returning it. I do have a conscience you know :)

The CP-4's AP's & EP's are heavenly. Pads and strings real nice. Other sounds are good. Organs need ventilator. Pipe organs not bad.

The interface is fantastic. I couldn't believe I was playing a Yamaha. It couldn't be simpler, and quicker to use. They must have gotten together with Spock and got a lesson on logic. They really did their homework on this one.

The action is amazing. I'm super critical of keybed actions. They got it right IMO. I know it's all subjective but it feels like a piano.

If you are thinking about selling or trading up from a CP-5 let me try to explain some differences. And by the way, I really thought long and hard about exchanging the one I had. I loved it.

The CP-5 to me is "elegant". Very fancy, well built etc., etc., where the CP-4 seems more utilitarian.

Now don't let me give you the wrong impression. The CP-4's build quality is top notch. But, they had to shave the weight somehow. The CP-4 has a single plastic molded body. Underneath is a strong piece of laminate board painted black. There are no "wooden" end pieces as you have probably already noticed. I noticed that most of the weight of the entire keyboard was on the right side if you're facing the keys. This is the side with the transformer I suppose. The left side is very light. The faders, switches and knobs are nice but obviously different than the CP-5. You wont find the same quality in the volume knob if that is important to you.

I'm glad that Yamaha at least put that half inch strip of aluminum on the CP-4. It helps to break up the plastic look.

Do I regret my decision to exchange? Not in a million years. The sound, feel and weight were my primary concerns. But, I didn't get the feeling of playing as robust a keyboard as I did with the CP-5. It kinda reminds me of the MOX8 look. The musical experience was such that before I realized it, it was 1:30 in the morning and I was still playing away.

I have not had a chance to explore the controller functions.

I would have to say that the graded aspect of it is the main characteristic that feels like a piano. It's totally different from any previous Yamaha DP that I've owned with a graded action. I've had the CP-300 & my daughter has the CP-50. It feels like hammers hitting strings. I could have lived with the action of the CP-5 just not the weight. I'm 52, in shape, but have 3 suspect disc (lower back). I do like the looks of the CP-5 better. The overall build quality is more substantial on the CP-5.

It's totally different from any previous Yamaha DP that I've owned with a graded action. I've had the CP-300 & my daughter has the CP-50. It feels like hammers hitting strings.

Thanks. Not that I dislike any of those actions (or the CP5), but it's encouraging that this is new and not a NW variation of the GH action.

It's been a long time since I've seen or played a CP-33. It's different than the 50. I don't want to misrepresent it in any way. It's just hard to compare it to an existing keyboard. I knew that there was going to be more plastic simply because that is the material used to reduce weight. The body of the CP-4 is one single molded piece whereas the CP-5 is built with more sections if that makes sense.

Just played it at GC. Unfortunately they have it running through a Roland KC, so I'm really not sure how it sounds! But I suspect it sounds very good.

Action is fantastic. A little more substantial than the CP5, and with less of a hard bottoming out feel, black keys seems ever so slightly narrower. Not hugely different, but noticeably. I'd say all the ways in which the action differs from the CP5 are improvements.

Build quality is fine, nothing to worry about there. The CP5 was overbuilt for being a portable DP. The CP4 hits a sweet spot.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

It's probably not a bad idea to ask for phones when demoing these.Preferably a good set.

I can't imagine trying to evaluate the sound of this through a mono Roland KC amp.

Anyway they are out. I would like to know how many of the piano samples are actually useful, especially the new 9 ft. grand etc.

But it's interesting that people are actually getting them. I am curious to hear more.

I wasn't expecting to find the CP4 in there, and was just passing through anyway, didn't have time for a true audition. I'll go back with my own headphones, since that's the best reference point.

What I heard and felt today was enough that, if I was in the market for a DP, I'd be getting a CP4.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I just ordered mine yesterday afternoon. I went to the local Kurzweil dealer to check out the Artis first, only to find that they are no longer dealing Kurzweil. Was hoping to play the CP4 before ordering, but I just can't wait any longer!!

Just loaded the CP-4 in the back seat of my truck. I haven't gotten a case yet. What a joy! Put it under my arm and away we went. I haven't compared the dimensional specs but it's a good bit smaller than the CP-5 (shorter and less depth) very compact; great for gigging. After two nights of substantial practice I'm becoming acclimated to the action. It's hard to break away from this thing. I agree that the black keys are slightly more narrow.

What does narrower Black keys mean in terms of ease of playing the White keys.. is it harder to fit finger in between two black keys.. a thick fingered user wants to know!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I stopped by the GC in San Jose yesterday as I read they'd received a CP4 & CP40. Of course....the brilliant folks at GC had the CP4 mounted on a stand above my shoulders plugged into a Roland "crap" amp....I asked for headphones right away....

In the brief amount of time I had, I could tell the playability/ feel was above most DP's I've sampled. The CFX, CFIIIS & S6 models sounded very big & "full"....the 5 band EQ made some drastic changes (I could see the ease of having these hardware controls being a big asset onstage). I wasn't able to draw the "bite" out of the Rhodes models that I heard in an online demo. Like I said....I didn't have much time along with where the keyboard was positioned....it was a bit difficult to control.

The other Motif sounds described as "based on our flagship Motif" sounded a bit weak and watered down compared to what I recall from the actual Motif. Unlike the Casio PX5s....where you can "feel" the filter sweeps on a pad....the CP4 seems like they weren't overly concerned with the extra Motif voices. However; the quality and variety of piano/ EP voices seem to make this package a very attractive offering!

I definitely want to spend more time with this board! :cool:

I just played the CP4 at GC. Some quick thoughts...

Previous comments about build quality are on point. It reminds me of the CP33 but with some fake Tolex.

The action is a blend of the CP1/CP5 and CP33. In other words, it feels like the CP1/CP5 with a bit more heft. Unlike any of those actions though, I felt escapement, which was a nice surprise. The finger to sound response seemed excellent, though I had to press a note very very softly to not get it to sound.

I was listening through a pair of small Yamaha powered speakers. I liked the CFX but thought the upper mids lacked body. Comparatively, the CFIIIS seemed to have more presence and a wider stereo image. The S6 was the most intimate of the three. The mono versions didn't make me cringe; I think Yamaha has finally solved that issue(?).

I liked the Rhodes but most of them seemed a little crispy and polite; as we know, they can be tweaked. I liked the Wurli sounds more. I liked the CP80 sounds a lot.

That was as far as I got. Initial impressions are quite favorable.

I

The other Motif sounds described as "based on our flagship Motif" sounded a bit weak and watered down compared to what I recall from the actual Motif. Unlike the Casio PX5s....where you can "feel" the filter sweeps on a pad....the CP4 seems like they weren't overly concerned with the extra Motif voices.

This is a huge disappointment to me, and may push me in the direction of the PX-5S or MOXF. I would not be happy shelling out that amount of cash for something where half the sounds are sub-standard.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I

The other Motif sounds described as "based on our flagship Motif" sounded a bit weak and watered down compared to what I recall from the actual Motif. Unlike the Casio PX5s....where you can "feel" the filter sweeps on a pad....the CP4 seems like they weren't overly concerned with the extra Motif voices.

This is a huge disappointment to me, and may push me in the direction of the PX-5S or MOXF. I would not be happy shelling out that amount of cash for something where half the sounds are sub-standard.

SSM

Sounds like you're looking for something that does more the job of a Yamaha S90XS, or MOX(F). As you also mentioned the PX-5S, ideally you can find a music dealer who has that instrument and an MOX keyboard in the same room - to get an A-B comparison.

The CP series instruments are highly piano focused - even with the inclusion of a large block of non-piano sounds. While there is a degree of editability, and the availability of effects, it's just not as extensive as the engine in the Motif. You can't quite get the best of both worlds in one place with Yamaha, yet. The closest thing is likely a loaded-up Motif XF8; but at 62 lbs. it's a lot of keyboard.

There are places in my gigs where a CP4 would shine, big-time. And it is a tempting piece of kit. But - practically speaking - I need the viability of a stronger non-piano engine at present; and the sounds and playability of Yamaha digital piano tones seem to work best for me live. So an S90XS - with extensive piano tweaks - is my live axe of choice. But many here get great results with several other hybrid keyboards - PX-5S, MOX8, Kronos / Krome, PC3x, the Roland RD's, etc.. Looking ahead though, I hope that a degree of SCM piano technology does reach the hybrid instrument level in the next few years - some kind of super MOX or updated S-series style instrument that closes the gap at least a little.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I

SSM

Sounds like you're looking for something that does more the job of a Yamaha S90XS, or MOX(F). As you also mentioned the PX-5S, ideally you can find a music dealer who has that instrument and an MOX keyboard in the same room - to get an A-B comparison.

The CP series instruments are highly piano focused - even with the inclusion of a large block of non-piano sounds. While there is a degree of editability, and the availability of effects, it's just not as extensive as the engine in the Motif. You can't quite get the best of both worlds in one place with Yamaha, yet. The closest thing is likely a loaded-up Motif XF8; but at 62 lbs. it's a lot of keyboard.

There are places in my gigs where a CP4 would shine, big-time. And it is a tempting piece of kit. But - practically speaking - I need the viability of a stronger non-piano engine at present; and the sounds and playability of Yamaha digital piano tones seem to work best for me live. So an S90XS - with extensive piano tweaks - is my live axe of choice. But many here get great results with several other hybrid keyboards - PX-5S, MOX8, Kronos / Krome, PC3x, the Roland RD's, etc.. Looking ahead though, I hope that a degree of SCM piano technology does reach the hybrid instrument level in the next few years - some kind of super MOX or updated S-series style instrument that closes the gap at least a little.

We have just ordered a Mojo, and are looking for an 88 key something-or-other to sit underneath it, We ruled out the Motif and Kronos, they are just too expensive,

We had come down to the PX-5S, the CP4, or the MOXF, A different one seems to be flavour of the month every day!

We looked at the PX-5S, and loved the sounds, but the set- up seemed very complex, and we're not mad about the tiny screen. Maybe once you got used to it, it wouldn't be so bad. The other two haven't quite reached the shops around here yet!

Neither of has had much experience with Yamaha, but have seen horror stories about their user interface, that's why we were drawn to the CP4.

There are two shops within 50 miles which we hope will have all three boards in stock at the same time, but it will,probably be a couple of months yet. We want piano action, good piano and other sounds, easy operation in a PX5s to CP4 price range, Organ isn't important, as we will have the Mojo, and weight doesn't matter, as it's for home use.

You wouldn't think it would be difficult in this day and age, but it's a nightmare. We downloaded the PX-5S handbook, and can't even find layers and splits in the menu! That's why the CP4 looked so attractive, just press a button!

However, at the end of the day, the sound is paramount, so we'll wait and see when stock arrives.

SSM and Keyboard Girl