Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4

Athan, may I ask you to clarify this point, please?

based on the Spectral Component Modeling sounds from the former series...

What does 'based on' mean in his context?

Does this mean that the CP4 no longer utilises the SCM sound from the CP1 (and CP5?)?

Of course, I'll understand if you'd prefer not to disclose this information.

Cheers,

James

x

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing when I red that text. "Based on" usually means precisely that in marketing speech ; no SCM, but a selection of sounds that were SCM generated (resampled ??). My guess is if it was all truly SCM it would be one of the first features listed in the magazine add. On the other hand I thought , let's wait for monday first and see what the full specs on the Yamaha website will tell. Then start asking these questions. If it doesn't become clear from the specs , I hope Athan can and is allowed to answer. Same goes for the three sensor question.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ Tease

Although, technically it's Daylight Savings Time, not Standard Time, so maybe it's at the top of next hour?

Or maybe they're just bad with the interwebs...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of many of their products...but their web presence is a bit clunky, for a company so big, and technically savvy.

The best things about the CP300 were that with the speakers cranked you could get a real vibey feel through your fingers, not unlike feedback from an acoustic, and that you could set your hammond clone on top of it and still have room for a couple vintage effect pedals and a mini wet bar. But that sucker was heavy an awkward to carry, like a slab of concrete.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

^^^ Tease

Although, technically it's Daylight Savings Time, not Standard Time, so maybe it's at the top of next hour?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of many of their products...but their web presence is a bit clunky, for a company so big, and technically savvy.

Apparently something's been held up.... It's almost 2:30 PST.. Will check their site later. BTW, I scanned the QR code link in the CP4 ad: No sign of Chuck Leavell and the CP4 on the Yamaha site I was taken to. Hopefully we'll have some links to hear demos soon..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

The best things about the CP300 were that with the speakers cranked you could get a real vibey feel through your fingers, not unlike feedback from an acoustic, and that you could set your hammond clone on top of it and still have room for a couple vintage effect pedals and a mini wet bar. But that sucker was heavy an awkward to carry, like a slab of concrete.

All true.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

All true.

Definitely. I got the same vibe from a P250 I played on a church gig from '02 - '08. Very cool to play, but the expression 'slab piano' fit it quite well; it was a PITA to move. Sort of like handling the maxxed out Kurz K2500XS I owned in the late 90's..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Offtopic, but so true... For example, I never understood why they decided to "break" Yamahasynth.com, and build that generic, bland white site it is now. It was a great, good-looking resource. In comparison Korg's and Roland's (new) websites are both like a different world.

(By the way, I also saw the ads in KB's Oct issue. The CP4 actually looks kind of cool, it seems to have a vintage EPish texture on top. The MOXF looked nice too.)

They could probably put the CP4 into a deeper enclosure with decent speakers, and still end up with something 20 lbs lighter than the CP300. It would be a nice additional option to have.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

How extensive are the MIDI controller functions? Can splits/layers be programed for internal and external sounds? Programmable entry volume levels? I see those three sliders....can they control (three) zone volume levels?

There are four zones each with MIDI Channel, key windows , bank and program select and volume settings.

Director of Marketing

Pro Audio and Combo Division

Yamaha Corporation of America

Athan, may I ask you to clarify this point, please?

based on the Spectral Component Modeling sounds from the former series...

What does 'based on' mean in his context?

Does this mean that the CP4 no longer utilises the SCM sound engine from the CP1 (and CP5?)?

Of course, I'll understand if you'd prefer not to disclose this information.

Cheers,

James

x

Sorry if we were unclear. The CP 4 and 40 uses the same SCM technology that was in the previous models. "Based on" in this case means that all the sounds were redone to match the new Graded NW so they weren't simply ported , but improved from the previous models,but use the same technology. The user interface is slightly different, but you can still control the preamp modeling, mic modeling , tine position , key off volume, etc.

Director of Marketing

Great news that the power supply is internal.

Is it compatible with 220-240v or will separate models be made for different parts of the world?

Back in the day Yamaha boards used to be voltage switchable. Even my KeyB accepts all line voltages. Fingers crossed from Yamaha.

The CP4 is a switching power supply so all you need is the right AC cable and you are good for 220 and 240 volt usage.

Director of Marketing

Sorry if we were unclear. The CP 4 and 40 uses the same SCM technology that was in the previous models. "Based on" in this case means that all the sounds were redone to match the new Graded NW so they weren't simply ported , but improved from the previous models,but use the same technology.

Okay, thank you for the clarification.

The CP4 is a switching power supply so all you need is the right AC cable and you are good for 220 and 240 volt usage.

Thumbs up!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Sorry if we were unclear. The CP 4 and 40 uses the same SCM technology that was in the previous models. "Based on" in this case means that all the sounds were redone to match the new Graded NW so they weren't simply ported , but improved from the previous models,but use the same technology.

Okay, thank you for the clarification.

Having experienced some other boards with "based on" claims that appear to be just fixed samples or "snapshots" of the parent technology, the CP4 sounds better and better with every new revelation.

The CP 4 and 40 uses the same SCM technology that was in the previous models. "Based on" in this case means that all the sounds were redone to match the new Graded NW so they weren't simply ported , but improved from the previous models,but use the same technology. The user interface is slightly different, but you can still control the preamp modeling, mic modeling , tine position , key off volume, etc.

Do the acoustic pianos on the CP4 employ SCM (as on the CP1/5/50), or only the electric pianos?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Do the acoustic pianos on the CP4 employ SCM (as on the CP1/5/50), or only the electric pianos?

Yes, the basic technology is the same, but of course the sounds are either completely new (CFX) or tweaked for the new GH3 action.

Director of Marketing

Again the question:

Is a model planned with internal speakers like the CP300 ?

I have a feeling the CP300 will be the last of its kind. The demand is for lighter weight stage pianos, not more tanks.

Looks like.....but no negative statement from Athan gives me some hope.....

:)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Yes, I tested the CP5 and CP1 a few times in store but I decided to keep my P250 because the CP5/1 lacked "that feel"...

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

They could probably put the CP4 into a deeper enclosure with decent speakers, and still end up with something 20 lbs lighter than the CP300. It would be a nice additional option to have.

This !

+ 1 !!!

Regarding piano sounds and action, this is what I understand so far from the add in the magazine and Athan's remarks. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

1) AP sounds use SCM . The full processing, so not just fixed sample snapshots of the parent technology , like voxpops and I first feared.

2) EP sounds use SCM. (Also the real processing)

3) Keybed is a new version of GH3 with Ivory tops and wood incorporated in some way.

4) There is no organ modeling on board (no tone wheel emulation), but there probably is a good collection of organ sounds of the Motif series available.

5) Rest of the collection is Motif XF based. Any idea on a certain bias in sound categories ; just bread & butter, or also a collection of fresh synth sounds ?

- so the keybed is graded and has three sensors and incorporates wood .

- SCM modeling provides for a lively sound with natural dynamic range and no audible looping (right ?) . On previous sample based Yamaha's (CFIII) looping is quite obvious in the higher octaves. Hope this is history in the new CP with SCM.

Question: will the keybed have a certain coating on the black keys as well ? I recently played a TP40Wood with Ivory tops and it mysteriously missed any coating on the black keys, making it old-fashioned plastic slippery keys.

Just nitpicking about the design:

- Mod/wheel could be next to the controls , lower to the keys if technically possible (see my mockup picture). It would free up the entire upper part of the instrument and is also more consistent in design esthetics. Apple would have put them there ;-)

- there are only three faders, whilst its a controller with four zones (?!). Why / why not four faders ?! I thought the CP4 was about getting everything exactly right , making the perfect stage piano. Three faders for four zones is odd to say the least.

End of nitpicking. For the rest the CP4 looks promising, almost perfect and very competitive !!

- there are only three faders, whilst its a controller with four zones (?!). Why / why not four faders ?! I thought the CP4 was about getting everything exactly right , making the perfect stage piano. Three faders for four zones is odd to say the least.

Just pretend it's only three zones--which would not have been a disappointing answer to the how many zones question--and you won't be disappointed by the lack of a fourth fader. ;-)

Yes, it's a switching power supply so as long as you have the right AC cable it will work with 220/240.

Hi Bill - not sure if you meant this (or care) but a "switching" power supply has nothing to do with whether it will operate at different voltages. I think you meant "selectable voltage" power supply. Switching has to do with how the power supply converts AC volt to DC. The other type is linear. OK enough of the geekiness - looks like a great product you have coming out.

Does anyone know if this will be voltage selectable ?

Yes, it's a switching power supply so as long as you have the right AC cable it will work with 220/240.

That seals the deal for me. I just mailed my guy at Sweetwater. Hallelujah!

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Just pretend it's only three zones--which would not have been a disappointing answer to the how many zones question--and you won't be disappointed by the lack of a fourth fader. ;-)

OK, so I pretend :

- The PX5S has half-pedalling and expression input

- The CP480 has no looping

- The Kurzweil Artis has string resonance and half pedaling for the internal AP sound

- The Physis Piano has coating on the black keys instead of a clean plastic surface

- Nord, Kurzweils and new ES100 have 3 sensor keybeds

Just making fun, but if I'd have to pretend away everything that strikes me as odd or missing , the perfect board could have been a Casio Tone two or three decades ago ;-) Sometimes I just fail to understand the decisions that are made dusting product development. Can imagine Yamaha R&D:

- Let's make a stage piano with four zones

- Yeh ! Good idea; let's give it four faders then

- No no no no, too expensive (says guy in suit); two faders thats more than enough !

- Ah...come on... give us the faders - we need them

- Ok ok ok, we'll give you three; but that's the max we can do. Otherwise we go bankrupt and the CP production cost will soar (an extra $ 3 dollar cents).

- Deal, compromise, we'll sell it to the people with a good marketing story about how you can use a switch (?) to go from layer 1~2 to 3~4 for fader control...or something

It will be great anyway. It will sell anyway. I'd perhaps buy it anyway. But IMHO it's OK to point out some striking details of a new product , even from the limited info we have have available until now. Or 'pretend' it away, we'll see...