Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Couple of courses from Mike's Master Classes - both reasonably priced.

Jimmy Wyble's Etude #1 - Sid Jacobs teaches how to play it, how to apply concepts from it to Stella By Starlight and other standards, etc.

https://mikesmasterclasses.com/course/jimmy-wybles-etude-1/

The Improv Style of Cannonball Adderley for Guitar - Mike Goddete teaches 12 licks extracted from Cannonball's solos and how he chose to play each lick on guitar.  A nice touch is each lick is labeled with the name of the source album.  6 of them are thus off of the Them Dirty Blues album.

https://mikesmasterclasses.com/course/the-improv-style-of-cannonball-adderley-for-guitar/

• Like 1

Some small stuff for a portable Ableton setup, a Shure SM57 the do anything workhorse,  mic & boom stand, and for a small portable audio interface a SSL 2.   That should be me started on this new path I on. 

• Like 1

Mojo 61, my second. This one brand new with internal PSU and external WiFi dongle. I have it setup at home at the moment, trying to dial it in for my liking, but found the stock settings not bad at all as a starter, will dial it up more when joining my band.

Tried to midi it up from my Legend 70’s to try out the Rhodes in it from a better suited piano keyboard. WOW 🤩 - that is gorgeous after a little bit tweaking, a shame it’s not multitimbral, but might try to sneak it in on a couple tunes.

• Like 3
/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Oddly enough, the 333-patch set from Ultimate Patches, for my new Novation MiniNova. It has a couple of interesting features for live playing, but Its real appeal for me is the sound engine. Some of the set is utilitarian, but there are plenty of inspiring keepers. I'm Autosampling the more notable ones to tweak as I go later, with effects on and off. The preload set smells mostly like EDM, where the Ultimate set is pleasantly broad. Loping down that trail will help to keep me from scattering shelled walnuts on the lawn and then shooting at squirrels from the roof. They're scary-big. One stole my lawn gnome.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

1965 Leslie 145 in rare mahogany finish.  It was actually sold two years ago to a guy in Ohio.  I saw it on Ebay and text him and he said he would sell it back to me.  He actually delivered it back to me which was amazing as he was 6 hours away but happened to be traveling to the east coast anyway. I have to watch buying gear for awhile. 

• Love 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I recently bought a powered (400+ watts) JBL 10" 2 way speaker. I also put a stand cup on one side of my Fishman Loudbox Performer. I run a line cord from the Fishman audio out into the JBL, adjust the volumes and it's a great sounding small PA system. Thinking about adding a little 4 channel mixer to go into the Audio In jack on the Fishman, that would give me 6 channels total with a compact, light, great sounding PA. Lots of local venues that don't have PAs and don't really need much. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

50 minutes ago, Outkaster said:

1965 Leslie 145 in rare mahogany finish.  It was actually sold two years ago to a guy in Ohio.  I saw it on Ebay and text him and he said he would sell it back to me.  He actually delivered it back to me which was amazing as he was 6 hours away but happened to be traveling to the east coast anyway. I have to watch buying gear for awhile. 

I would love to get a 145 set up for a 3-posifoon halfmoon.

I currently have a 47 converted to 3-speed by a Benton Electronics digital relay, but the brake rarely works, and my tech has no idea why.

Minty vintage Roland XV-5050 1U rack synth, to adorn my new custom composer desk (under construction). Keyboard drawer will house an equally minty Keylab MkII 61.

It will be SOOOO nice to always have keys, a sound source, speakers, a recorder and headphones always at the ready, without having to cable everything up whenever I need to practice, record a track, or do some notation.  If you saw me now you’d fall down laughing at the tangle of cords and cables!!

• Like 2

Legend '70s Compact, Studiologic Numa X 73

On 1/17/2024 at 4:46 PM, davinwv said:

I would love to get a 145 set up for a 3-posifoon halfmoon.

I currently have a 47 converted to 3-speed by a Benton Electronics digital relay, but the brake rarely works, and my tech has no idea why.

The 145 is the best Leslie I think. 

• Love 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

got the Osmose by Expressive E a couple days ago (Sweetwater demo)

previously had the Continuum for a couple years, and Osmose is more fun to play and up my alley, due to having actual keys. Tho, if I had 1000 years to learn an instrument, Continuum has infinite possibilities. Osmose will only take 200 or so years 🙃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davinwv said:

Especially for non-jazz styles, I think.

For anything. 

• Like 2

noblevibes.com

On 1/19/2024 at 8:22 AM, octa said:

got the Osmose by Expressive E a couple days ago (Sweetwater demo)

previously had the Continuum for a couple years, and Osmose is more fun to play and up my alley, due to having actual keys. Tho, if I had 1000 years to learn an instrument, Continuum has infinite possibilities. Osmose will only take 200 or so years 🙃

Congrats on the purchase! I'm interested in your views about the Continuum and the Osmose, I am very interested in getting one of them, but have played neither. I do have an Expressive E Touché, which has been a kind of game changer for me as a synth expression device. I've played a Roli Seaboard in stores several times, and just didn't connect with it.

Having watched many videos of performances on both the Continuum and Osmose, I've felt more intrigued by the Contimuum. What made you decide on the Osmose instead?

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

4 hours ago, NewImprov said:

Congrats on the purchase! I'm interested in your views about the Continuum and the Osmose, I am very interested in getting one of them, but have played neither. I do have an Expressive E Touché, which has been a kind of game changer for me as a synth expression device. I've played a Roli Seaboard in stores several times, and just didn't connect with it.

Having watched many videos of performances on both the Continuum and Osmose, I've felt more intrigued by the Contimuum. What made you decide on the Osmose instead?

Thanks!

Curious to try Touché sometime. I imagine it's amazing with Continuum or Osmose.

That's difficult to answer. Circumstance mainly. Either one is amazing. Osmose costs less and has traditional keys, and I've had keys (and been broke :p) for 40+ years so might as well stay the course. Osmose takes some getting used to too. Playing rapid passages with subsequent white keys can cause friction. But, hopefully I'll modify technique to avoid that, or incorporate more arpeggios etc. while playing Osmose.

There's an Osmose thread here that you probably have seen, and the Facebook Haken Continuum group contains an encyclopedia of Continuum and EaganMatrix related info. 

• Like 1

Picked up this little fellow for messing around at home for $100cad.  I had an R8 for years, but sold it on.  Miss the brush cards, but if I get enough use out of this,  I may look for another one with some cards .  I have plenty of capability  in the drum  DAW and VI department , but this is handy for just setting a quick groove .  

IMG_7510.thumb.jpg.f9e62da2a1c0613f5eecb6601c6a0276.jpg

• Like 5

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Got a wild irrational GAS attack to get a second electric guitar.  I have a decent all-wood acoustic (Eastman) and a Fender player HSS strat, so I needed another guitar not at all.  Especially considering I'm a beginner threatening to go to intermediate in a few areas.

Got the urge to get a les paul style guitar to go with the Fender.   Wanted to see how I get on with a shorter scale length and different neck, and of course it has a different sound, Fender bridge humbucker notwithstanding.    Got close to getting a PRS se 594 singlecut, then started looking at others like the better Epiphones.   For guitars, I'll buy used from Guitar Center if there's a good deal and it's in "great" or "excellent" shape.   Such a different experience from looking for keyboards!   I ruled out a few nice models from Schecter and ESP due to the ginormous frets.   I had a guitar previously with xtra-jumbo frets and found it to be a nightmare for chording.

Long story short a great deal on an Epiphone 1959 reissue in mint condition popped up on GC for half the price of a new one.  This model has American Gibson pickups and nicer wiring than the other Epis, and in most ways is similar to a 1959 Gibson les paul--obviously there will be some differences though!  I'm not crazy on the pseudo-nitro satin weird finish on this, and tobacco sunburst is not my favorite (I wouldn't buy a color I disliked though to be sure), but a les paul with great pickups for $499?   Can't really go wrong.   Every other used 1959 epi was $699 or up.  I'll be able to tell once and for all if I like les pauls or not! :) 

This is basically it here.  This guy does some great deep dives into various guitars.

• Like 2

I wasn't shopping for an 8-string guitar in particular, but I found this 8-string nylon string guitar at a local shop on sale for $200 off.   At that price I was willing to audition it.  After sitting down with it for a while, I decided to buy it.

https://ortegaguitars.com/en/products/rce159-8-m11195.html

Nice playability and sound for the money.  I was a little lost at first because I was used to the low E string being the one next to the top of the neck, but this guitar has the 2 extra lower strings.  It did not take long to adapt, however. Anyone else who is used to playing with the thumb resting on the back of the neck would also adjust quickly.  One issue I've noticed with the cheaper guitars that have extra lower strings is that strings tuned to B below low E, or lower, tend to feel floppy and not stay in tune for long.  This Ortega does not have either problem.  The back of the neck has a slightly asymmetrical curve, which seems to help me locate the low E  and A strings by feel quickly.

Introduction and musical demos by Alexandra Zerner, who has more 8-string guitar playing skills than I do

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 9:43 AM, Ed A. said:

image.jpeg.9e0d0497ad67b7e0af23a3eed985ecee.jpeg

I had one of these, great unit! I wanted a few more channels so I got a MOTU M6 and sold the SSL 2. It's nice too. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Yamaha 02R mixer

I remember salivating over the 02R when it was released.

A bandmate had one that had some bad xlr inputs.  He just wanted to get rid of it and asked if I’d take it.   I gave a resounding “Yes!”  it’s bigger and heavier than I imagined.  Even without those faulty xlr inputs I think it might make a nice keyboard submixer for my wee studio and I’m looking forward to puttering around with it.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 4:09 PM, Docbop said:

Some small stuff for a portable Ableton setup, a Shure SM57 the do anything workhorse,  mic & boom stand, and for a small portable audio interface a SSL 2.   That should be me started on this new path I on. 

Boy was this a mistake the level from the SSL to the DAW and other audio software on my Mac are all very low.  I contact my Sweetwater sale guy who just said those things should be fine, but here's the tech support phone number. Boy Sweetwater isn't what it used to be in the past if a problem they would of tried to help and then have support call me.   Then I put in a SSL support request and all I got was links to what appears as old Mac articles on unity gain. 

So last night I got ticked I have homework to do and need my gear working.   I decide to buy what I originally was going to a Focusrite 2i2 4th generation since that's what so many use and seems to work fine.   So local GC is out of stock and take days to get one shipped, so I check Amazon.   Amazon stocks it not a Marketplace vendor and Amazon say it will deliver next day.  So I place the order last night and it arrived at 11am today.   Set it up and works great good levels going into my DAW.     A lot of people bitch about Amazon but when you live 50 miles from next city they make life so much easier getting a lot stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

So checking out a video about a home studio and they talked about the portable 4TB drives they use for libraries and projects.  They mention the Samsungs they use so I check their link to SweetWater and Sweetwater's new Creators gear area.   So goto Sweetwater and price seems pretty good for 4TB and I need a 4TB drive to backup the used Macbook Pro I got recently.    I figure might as well see what others are getting and check Amazon and it was even cheaper.  Looks like Samsung has a sale or something going and its a Thunderbolt 3 drive so backups should be real snappy.    Below is the link if you in the market for a portable drive.

Link to Amazon Samsung external drive.

On 1/23/2024 at 11:42 PM, Michael Wright said:

Picked up this little fellow for messing around at home for $100cad.  I had an R8 for years, but sold it on.  Miss the brush cards, but if I get enough use out of this,  I may look for another one with some cards .  I have plenty of capability  in the drum  DAW and VI department , but this is handy for just setting a quick groove .  

IMG_7510.thumb.jpg.f9e62da2a1c0613f5eecb6601c6a0276.jpg

Was thinking about this kind of older cheap realistic-ish drum machine just to have a backbeat when practicing and noodling. Nice buy.

• Like 2

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

The guitar I posted about above had to go back due to some issues.  I had to eat the original shipping charges since now Guitar Center won't refund them no matter what; it wasn't a lot ($23) but definitely will make me buy less used from them.

I ended up buying this new from Sweetwater, on sale $300 off and my rep knocked an additional $50 off.  It's comparable in price to that Epiphone I posted above but is a step up in every way from it.  I actually went with the heaviest one in the Gallery, at 7lb 9oz :D   I don't normally like flame maple tops, and actively dislike quilted, but this looks great and feels great (in person, mine is a bit more understated than this pic below).   It has coil splits on both pickups and the single-coil sound is great and not a big drop in volume.  Kinda wondering at the fate of my strat, which I haven't really taken to for whatever reason.  The necks are very different (this PRS having a wide fat neck) so as I improve I'll see which profile work best for me.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEPaulsGBGS--prs-se-pauls-guitar-electric-guitar-black-gold-sunburst

3E6A9069-1E0B-4A8D-9AB9-FBEED6524C2A_1_1

• Like 1