Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

pianokid, I found I had to tweak my AP sound quite a bit to make it sound right in the SS, while organ and synth were fine as is.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I live in Finland and interested in Spacestation v3 but worried how can we get the thing to Europe. Yesterday Musikhaus Thomann (Germany) wrote me that they had heard nothing about this product and manufacturer! Maybe I am too hasty(?) about deliveries to Europe?

pianokid, I found I had to tweak my AP sound quite a bit to make it sound right in the SS, while organ and synth were fine as is.

Yes, piano is the tricky one. I didn't have to do much, though. I think it was about a 3 dB cut somewhere in the lower mids with the sweepable mid on my Yamaha board. That, and a boost of the MF knob on the SS itself, and being careful not to set the Width too high. But maybe I was lucky. If I didn't happen to be using a board where I could dial in the frequency I wanted, or if the Q of that EQ control were different, it might not have been as easy to get the results I wanted.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes, I did tweak my piano sounds quite a bit before the gig. Cut way back on the reverb, reduced string resonance and did some EQ adjustments, and it sounded good at home in a fairly big room under optimal conditions. But not so at the gig. That's why I think I may need to mess with gain settings more. I go through a small 8 channel Behringer mixer into the SS. Will keep trying.

The guy who first mentioned the B1200D here needs a round of applause.

I think that was me - tho' it hardly deserves applause. I chose it almost by accident. At the time I purchased my Spacestation, at the early adopter price, it only qualified for the standard Sweetwater 3 month financing. I needed something to push the purchase over $900 to qualify for the 36 month no interest financing special. ($25 a month I can commit to without having to run it by She Who Must Be Obeyed in the purchasing dept.) The Behringer seemed like a good match and the price was right on the money. No risk; if it sucked, I could return it and still have the extended financing in place on the SS. I'm just real pleased that it worked out - not only for me, but apparently for everybody who's tried it. Including Aspen!

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Blaming poor sound on cables seems a bit far-fetched to me. A friend of mine who us a certified self proclaimed "audio a-hole" used to tell me that I needed $30 a foot gold saturated monster cables for my speakers. This guy has $50,000 of audio equipment in his stereo room!

When I visited him last month guess what he was using for his speaker cables? Zip cord... and it still sounded great! Paying mega bucks for audio cables is the biggest rip-off in the industry. Buy good quality cables with secure connectors... That's all you need.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Blaming poor sound on cables seems a bit far-fetched to me. A friend of mine who us a certified self proclaimed "audio a-hole" used to tell me that I needed $30 a foot gold saturated monster cables for my speakers. This guy has $50,000 of audio equipment in his stereo room!

When I visited him last month guess what he was using for his speaker cables? Zip cord... and it still sounded great! Paying mega bucks for audio cables is the biggest rip-off in the industry. Buy good quality cables with secure connectors... That's all you need.

This may be the case for 'regular' stereo, but remember, the SS isn't that. It's constantly measuring the incoming L & R signals to determine what's the same in both sides (L+R) and routing it to the fronts, and combining what's different (L-R) and routing that to the side. If you have one wonky cable that's sending a weak or inconsistent signal, now you're making the internals of the SS work overtime and incorrectly split out what it thinks is L-R. I can easily see how this would result in very bad, undesirable noises coming out.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

Dave, nobody is saying you need overhyped cables, just that they're good ones. I've had no problem with my Hosa's I get at Sam Ash but several guys have reported problems that were cured by switching the cables.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I'm more than happy with inexpensive cables on my SSv3. I did have a dodgy older cable wreak utter havoc on my sound at a rehearsal. The sound coming out was completely bizarre -- unlike anything I had experienced before.

My first thought was "OMG, my SSv3 is having a nervous breakdown". Then I thought about it for a moment, and simply started replacing cables. Problem solved.

Just like a few of you guys have spare fuses, consider a few spare cables :)

I'm half-way serious about selling my fleet of QSC K series these days. They're not getting much use. But I'm still going to hang on to my Fulcrum Acoustics.

Forgive me, Aspen ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Aspen:

But as we grow, my goal is to have a "Sweetwater-esk" partner in every marketplace. FYI, we have just partnered with Thomann Musikhaus to service all of Europe. I think they are taking advance orders now. But our next production runs are sold out for the next few months, so their first deliveries will not likely arrive until late June./ Thomann answered to me (andree)they had heard nothing about this product and manufacturer! This answer is from Simon Feig/ PA department 9.3.2015. There must be a misunderstanding somewhere? Just trying to get SS v3 quickly :)

Aspen:

But as we grow, my goal is to have a "Sweetwater-esk" partner in every marketplace. FYI, we have just partnered with Thomann Musikhaus to service all of Europe. I think they are taking advance orders now. But our next production runs are sold out for the next few months, so their first deliveries will not likely arrive until late June./ Thomann answered to me (andree)they had heard nothing about this product and manufacturer! This answer is from Simon Feig/ PA department 9.3.2015. There must be a misunderstanding somewhere? Just trying to get SS v3 quickly :)

Ahh yes... Distributors. The joys of being a small business.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thomann answered to me (andree)they had heard nothing about this product and manufacturer! This answer is from Simon Feig/ PA department 9.3.2015. There must be a misunderstanding somewhere? Just trying to get SS v3 quickly :)

Just a thought: maybe you need to talk with somebody in the keyboards and synthesizers department instead of a PA guy?

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Ray, This makes a lot of sense to me - especially on tight stages. But are you finding major differences on carpeted vs bare stages?

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

So, I finally got a chance to use the SS with my main band last night. Lead singer has had major back issues since mid-November, so none of them have heard it.

To say that the entire band is a huge fan of this amp now is an understatement. MAN, that thing sounded unbelievable in our practice space. We started out playing Breathe, and I used a stereo trem EP - the drummer and I were both totally digging that. Even the softest, most nuanced notes were easy to hear...but the best came when I kicked in the Kronos' leslie sim on the Hammond patch when we hit the "Run, rabbit run" line, and pretty much everyone in the band looked me with really big grins on their faces.

The drummer encapsulated in a few tunes later when he said "it makes the whole band sound better".

I will echo that the one area that I have yet to dial in exactly its the APs - mostly the rock piano patches - both on my Kurz and the Kronos. Increasing the stereo effects certainly does seem to help, but it's hard to say exactly what's going on. Perhaps it's just that most of the other sounds are more animated (Leslie, trem, stereo effects and panning on synth programs) and the overall sound of the AP programs I've been using on other sound systems is tame. Maybe it's the way the manufacturers chose to "sterify" their piano programs. I dunno... :idk:

Overall, though - what a fun experience. I can't tell you how long I've been in search of a way to make the keyboards sound like they're coming from everywhere, and how nice it is not to have to blast my volume. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

AFA DBs comments on animated and stereo I was piddling with the kronos piano patches and there is a mono piano patch that is like apunch in the gut.

The sound comes directly from the front firing speaker and looses all the enveloping sweet sound karma.

So if you really want to compare the SS magic and have a Kronos , compare the mono piano with any of the other ones.It will open your eyes and ears as to what the SS does.

I am sure other boards have a mono patch

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I actually have something important to share, even though my first gig with my SS3 won't be till tomorrow!

A buddy built me a tri-fold out of play wood with hinges. he's just that kind of guy. he asked me for dimensions and off the top of my head I told him three 13" panels. Seemed like a good idea.

But 13" is about the exact height of where your audio cables go in and out of the SS3, so you have to position the trifold a little further back than you planned, leaving the side speaker a tad more exposed than you might want to. Better to say 12" square.

I think I will ask him to knock off a couple of inches of the top of the back panel so my cables can pop out easier. Of put a hole in the back panel for the cables to poke through...

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

What about using these instead of the XLR to TS cables to go from the Keyboard to the Behringer B1200D...will this work?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIT129

I'm using [url:http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PWP047Z]these ones[/url] for the same hookup as you. They work fine, but they're quite large and even with my right-angle 1/4" plugs they stick out about 4 1/2". I just bought the 1/4" TS to XLR cables instead and will save the adapters for backup.

Here for the gear.

I don't have a SS3v3 (yet) so I am following this informative (and long!) thread with interest. However, I now have some concerns/thoughts.

First, the thought of having to carry baffles bothers me. I am continuously looking for ways to streamline my rig. Now I carry 2 Acoustic Image Ten2 amps. If I get the SS, it will be to reduce what I am carrying - not have to add a baffle.

As to cables. I am sure the SS is not sensitive to cables as long as they are well made with decent connectors. Bad cables, yes. But if there was a sensitivity to the nominal differences in two cable's properties, that would be a deal breaker.

Having said all of this, I am encouraged by what dB had to say. I know, I really need to hear one!

What about using these instead of the XLR to TS cables to go from the Keyboard to the Behringer B1200D...will this work?

I'm using [url:http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PWP047Z]these ones[/url] and same as you, they're going straight out of my NS2 to the B1200D. They work fine, but they're quite large and even with my right angle 1/4" they stick out about 4 1/2". I bought the 1/4" TS to XLR cables instead and will save the adapters for backup.

What brand of cables did you go with? Are you satisfied with them. It seems like all the 1/4 TS to XLR cables are pretty low quality. I don't want to mortgage the farm, but I don't want to buy junk either. Any suggestions for a "good" quality 1/4 TS to XLR that will do the trick?

That looks like it has a transformer, which you don't want or need. The levels are fine, it's the connectors that need adapting. What I did was go to Sweetwater and use their cable finder. Most of the cables they carry are of reasonable quality, and the pricing isn't outrageous.

From keyboard to BD1200-D -- a pair of 1/4" TR (or TRS) to XLR male (long)

From BD1200-D to SSv3 -- a pair of XLR female to 1/4" TR (or TRS) (short)

I wouldn't spend too much on the cables, unless that's your thing.

Don't worry too much about cable sensitivity. I use two cables of the same brand, and it works great. A minor intermittent connection that you might not notice in a standard L/R stereo rig -- you notice big time with the SSv3.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Raymb1: Just to make sure I get you, when you say "turn the side speaker up," what exactly you mean? Turn the amp (on the stand) such that there's a sharper angle away from the floor? Or just turn the "Width" up?

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

I'm using [url:http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PWP047Z]these ones[/url] and same as you, they're going straight out of my NS2 to the B1200D. They work fine, but they're quite large and even with my right angle 1/4" they stick out about 4 1/2". I bought the 1/4" TS to XLR cables instead and will save the adapters for backup.

What brand of cables did you go with? Are you satisfied with them. It seems like all the 1/4 TS to XLR cables are pretty low quality. I don't want to mortgage the farm, but I don't want to buy junk either. Any suggestions for a "good" quality 1/4 TS to XLR that will do the trick?

The ones I bought locally are Link - they appear to be the same quality as Hosa cables. I was just trying to save a couple of connections by going with dedicated cables, but I'm not convinced they'll last very long, so I pack the adapters.

I ordered the adapters and XLRF>TRS (sub to Spacestation) 2' cables from Sweetwater along with the Behringer.

Incidentally, I have tried TRS to XLR from the Nord to the Behringer. For some reason there was no sound coming out of the sub, but oddly enough there was sound coming out of the Spacestation. But TS>XLR works, and the Links sound identical to higher quality Yorkville TS cable I always use >Adapter.

Here for the gear.

I don't have a SS3v3 (yet) so I am following this informative (and long!) thread with interest. However, I now have some concerns/thoughts.

First, the thought of having to carry baffles bothers me. I am continuously looking for ways to streamline my rig. Now I carry 2 Acoustic Image Ten2 amps. If I get the SS, it will be to reduce what I am carrying - not have to add a baffle.

As to cables. I am sure the SS is not sensitive to cables as long as they are well made with decent connectors. Bad cables, yes. But if there was a sensitivity to the nominal differences in two cable's properties, that would be a deal breaker.

Having said all of this, I am encouraged by what dB had to say. I know, I really need to hear one!

you may end up wanting to keep one of your ten2's as a sub... which is all I use mine for at this point... no looking back after two weeks here - the ten2 has been an awesome amp for me for the past almost 5 years and for that I am totally thankful to both Rick at Acoustic Image and the folks at Keyboard Mag that reviewed an AI...

but this is a whole new paradigm... there may be some tweaking and fine tuning going on, but make no mistake, all of that is secondary to what you get sound wise...

for me it's always been all about the feel and the tone - which is why I went for the motif es8 and the first bose pole when I was going electric all those years ago - can't believe how lucky we are now to be having access to this - at a fraction of the price (compared to bose and AI) and size (compared to bose)...

good to hear sweet water is caught up - and I think their return policy is pretty sweet if you end up having buyers remorse for some reason...

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

So, sorry if this has been addressed before but cabling question. What is the issue with running the keyboard 1/4 jacks into the left/right of the SSV3, and then just running a single 1/4 TRS from the sub out on the SSV3 into just the A input side (XLR end of the same cable) of the Behringer 1200? Do you lose anything by just using the A input?

Mark