Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

I'm still not convinced that we should be refracting the left side. I think just the right side with one wing would be more than enough to do it. But not sure. Maybe Aspen has already tested this theory.

Nord Stage 2 88

Korg M50

Korg KINGKORG

SPACESTATION V.3

Behringer Eurolive B-1200D PRO

Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee

www.endlesssummertheband.com

This whole new thing about reflectors is interesting but here's another point. One of the biggest features of the SS is the fact that it throws the sound all around the stage so my bass player for example who's on the other side of the drummer from me hears me clearly for the first time in years. Wouldn't a baffle like these defeat that purpose?

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Bob, I think you've made an important point.

Aspen mentioned his Bi-fold plexi as a solution to a trade show booth problem. I would think it makes sense primarily when the volume of the side speaker offends someone in firing range. Other than that, let it blow freely into the room.

Now, I was thinking of building a digital reflector for tuning stability, but I'm thinking an analog reflector would sound a lot warmer. If I drill vents in it, my B3 sim will probably sound better too. And if I paint it red...

Now, I was thinking of building a digital reflector for tuning stability, but I'm thinking an analog reflector would sound a lot warmer. If I drill vents in it, my B3 sim will probably sound better too. And if I paint it red...

Red??? Did someone say "red?"

Just about anything red, analog, or simulating a spinning speaker distracts us faster than squirrels and an ADHD 3rd grader.

:laugh:

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / NS3 88 / NS3Compact

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KSubs / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112 MB115 MB210 Neo410

Bob, I too see your point about using the trifold & not getting the full benefit of the SS. I don't think it's a "one size fits all" solution at all but rather an option. It still covers a lot of sonic real estate with the trifold but I wouldn't use it for "every situation". it's all a matter of what your needs are.

I'm liking the duo fold idea for some things & then maybe letting the SS strut naked & letting it all hang out.

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

Digging up earlier posts (man, this thread is getting long), complaints can result when another musician is forced to listen to the side-firing L-R signal all night long. It's nasty on the ears. That's why I want a home-made baffle.

And, yes, I'm painting mine red!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I can see the point of the baffle in certain situations like on outdoor gigs where there's no walls to otherwise reflect the difference channel around so maybe the baffle would help "directionalize" it a bit towards your audience. But for many indoor rooms, I too was thinking it might be defeating the purpose of the design. But those black ones from Menard's do look cool, like wings. I might get them anyway, just for experimenting with and to have on hand of rmy two confirmed outdoor gigs coming up this summer.

EU shipping update: I gave a USPS shipping quote to German KC member today that was just $134 for Priority International (6-10days), or $178 for Express (3-5 days). This included $700 insurance.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

EU shipping update: I gave a USPS shipping quote to German KC member today that was just $134 for Priority International (6-10days), or $178 for Express (3-5 days). This included $700 insurance.

Thanks for keeping all your non-US fans involved here Aspen. I am assuming that any units you send out to Europe or Australia/NZ are given the patented "Aspen 20% check",

(A) because you have to alter the vollage feed to 230v anyway, so have to strip things out, and (B) because if anything is wrong, the return postage would be prohibitive?

When I first read about this, I thought it was interesting, but not for me. Now, with the realistic possibility of getting one sent to the UK for a do-able price, I am getting more and more,excited about it. I don't know how long I'm going to be able to contain my GAS for. I can see that I'm going to have to sell some stuff to fund a SpaceStation.

As a matter of interest, do we just PM you to order, or do you have a procedure set down?

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Thanks for keeping all your non-US fans involved here Aspen. I am assuming that any units you send out to Europe or Australia/NZ are given the patented "Aspen 20% check",

(A) because you have to alter the vollage feed to 230v anyway, so have to strip things out, and (B) because if anything is wrong, the return postage would be prohibitive?

When I first read about this,(65 pages ago) I thought it was interesting, but not for me. Now, with the realistic possibility of getting one sent to the UK for a do-able price, I am getting more and more,excited about it. I don't know how long I'm going to be able to contain my GAS for. I can see that I'm going to have to sell some stuff to fund a SpaceStation.

As a matter of interest, do we just PM you to order, or do you have a procedure set down?

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

And now we can have a raging debate about which is better, A trifold or a bifold :)

What's the answer?

I love rickzjamm's 3-panel design as it can be used as a more effect baffle in situations where the side speaker is blasting a bandmate. I thought about a 3-panel, but couldn't come up with a design that would both sit on top of the sub when needed and fit inside the SKB case - my own requirements for practical purposes.

Originally, like DanL, I thought the best idea was to hinge small "wings" over the openings. I still think this might be the most practical deflector, but have a more limited effect as bandmate protection. My simple 2-panel was really attempt to test the concept before committing to putting screws into my new amp. I'm going to research some different hinge types. Ideally I think the wings ought to be able to fold all the way back when not needed, overlapping out of the way in the back.

I think the use of the baffle or deflector - just like in a recording studio - is situational. You don't need them for every session but sooner or later, you're going to run into a situation where they're necessary or at least desirable. We know that the SS's effect is more pronounced when it's placed near reflective surfaces - "try it in a corner..." I have two less than ideal environments for the amp: a small, crowded studio/practice room/office with no access to walls or corners and a bar stage that, while I'm able to place the SS in the corner, the corner has a carpet "wainscoting" running 3' up the wall sucking up all the reflections. My little 2-panel gobo worked great in both instances. Used it with the SS on the floor in the studio and on top of the sub in the bar last night; the effect in both instances was pronounced and I think, much improved. YMMV - depending on the situation! ;)

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

In our usual band set-up, my kybrd is stage right. To keep the side speaker from killing our bassist or drummer, I use a Gator Combo Amp Stand. $39.99 at GC. I lay the SS on it's side with the right side speaker facing down. None of the stereo effect seems to be lost and sound is great. Bassist and drummer like the sound. They can hear the kybrd much better without a whole lot of volume. Ray
Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

I love rickzjamm's 3-panel design as it can be used as a more effect baffle in situations where the side speaker is blasting a bandmate. I thought about a 3-panel, but couldn't come up with a design that would both sit on top of the sub when needed and fit inside the SKB case - my own requirements for practical purposes.

If you design the middle panel with a central hinge (that is, make it two piece) the think will fold flat with the same dimensions as your 2-piece unit. Think of it as looking like a U when it is set up, but turning into a W as you fold it, with the center piece folding in. If you are concerned about pressure on the sidepanels when folding, you can easily add a few spacers to the ends of the W.

This design should allow you to fold the unit flat (although it will be 2x as thick) and put in your storage case.

Try it, and if it works, please send me your spacestation as a thank-you! :) I have to admit that this is about the only thread I've been reading on KB for awhile. Wondering how it'll work with my MalletKat.

I'm awaiting the next SS3 topic, which is what to do to cover that ..uhhh... grill? I practice next to 2 Fender amps, with that nice cloth, etc. Just sayin'

Easy fix. Unscrew it and paint/anodize/dip it to the color of your choice.

or get some speaker grill cloth (true acoustically good stuff) and make your own cover. Just some thin furring strips to make a frame, attach fabric, mount with existing screw holes.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around this thread for the past several weeks and am finally caught up. As a former owner of a SFX 100 and a keyboard player always looking for ways to downsize(bad back), I took the plunge and bought a V.3 from Sweetwater. I've had it a few days now, and while I am happy with it, I am still looking for ways to improve my AP sounds. Earlier in this thread, some of you guys spoke about tweaking your AP patches to improve their sound through the V.3. I have tried backing off the reverb, lowering string resonance, and even cutting back on decay, but I am still not 100% satisfied. I am primarily a piano player who plays the usual amount of organ, strings, brass and the like, but its piano first and foremost with me. I use a MOXF88 as my main axe. What specifically have you guys done to improve the sound of your APs with the V.3? Thanks for all the great information posted here.

Not familiar with the MOXF88 voices, but ...

1) Don't sit too close to your amp -- the SSv3 needs several feet to "bloom". If you sit close to your amp, you'll probably never really like the sound. Or use one of those homegrown baffles a few posts back.

2) You can't tell how the APs are going to sound in a mix just by listening to them standalone. What sounds too bright solo might blend perfectly when the rest of the band is playing. What sounds perfect solo might get completely buried in the live sound.

3) I find myself dialing up treble in small rooms, and dialing it down in larger spaces. I can't explain why that is, and it bothers me.

4) The width control also changes the sound dynamics considerably. I've learned when to reach for the EQ, and when to reach for the width control. They interact in non-intuitive ways.

5) While I'm still playing pure, unprocessed piano samples for many songs, I find my self getting more into tweaking the for better stereo presence: a smudge of chorus, a faint DX7 or string voice in the background, maybe two piano voices layered, etc.

There's not a lot of stereo content on the Nord piano sounds, which can make them sound a bit flat on the SSv3 unless steps are taken.

All in all, reasonably happy with my AP sounds -- but it took some experimentation. Best of luck -- and share what you learn!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Cphollis, thanks for the tips. I think the hardest part will be the proximity factor. So many of the stages,and I use the term very loosely, are so small that I won't be able to place the V.3 more than three feet away, so that's going to be a real challenge. Tomorrow will be my first gig with it, on a small and very tight stage, so I'll get a good idea of the placement factor. Also get to hear it in a full and loud band experience. Will report back afterwards. Thanks again.

If it's close to you, angle it up, that helps a lot in a small space.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Hey, y'all. Me again, the guy that started this thread in June, and who has used the SpaceStation MarkII (i.e., "the v.2") for 4 years. I play a Hammond SK1.

Got my v.3 a week ago. Played 2 gigs. Very impressed with the increased power/volume and capacity to better tweek the 8" speaker mid and tweeter. Still learning/experimenting with settings of width, mid and tweeter. It also definitely has more low-end than the MarkII. I had always used the sub-woof out to another KB or bass amp with the MarkII, even at small venues. But I've already played one gig w/o the sub-woof link at all, and I'm certain that the v.3 is gonna reduce the lugging of a separate sub-woof link amp to gigs. And my band mates, w/o prodding, have already mentioned the "bigger" sound and stereo effect. I think it's a real improvement and winner!

Lastly, I'll be selling/shipping my MarkII out this coming week, thanks to a post/contact made on this board.

All good!

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

I'm really having fun re-discovering my SK1 through my SS3. Still on the fence about the AP sounds, still tweaking. I've never liked them through any system, but then I was first and foremost an acoustic piano player for most of my life. I may end up midi-ing an old Kurzweil piano module.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

ok so got my bi-fold analog waveform deflector made out of Plexiglas and will use it tonight to avoid a straight shot of side reference in the bass players ears. Will let you know tomorrow how it works. I made mine high enough to stand on the floor and still be high enough as I set my SS on top of my SUB. I used a piano hinge all along the way to match the height of the Plexiglas. Then painted the hinge area with a black paint that is for plastic. Looks cool and I even stenciled the bands Initials on both sides just in case some drunken bass player doesn't try to run through the clear Plexiglas!!! Ha I guess that comes with experience of playing so long.

Nord Stage 2 88

Korg M50

Korg KINGKORG

SPACESTATION V.3

Behringer Eurolive B-1200D PRO

Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee

www.endlesssummertheband.com