Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEO VENTILATOR II

TKN

I hear so much crying over money in this thread. This one is $420, that one is $500 . Is $80 really going to set you back? Whats that, one night at the bar? Neo is not Roland, they are a tiny micro company struggling to survive in a country that's part of the EU's recession. If you like the sound of the Burn better, get it. If you are a Vent fan like me , the Vent II might be your ticket. To complain about a dollar or 2 plays right into the stereotype of the penny pinching keyboardist.

FunMachine.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neo being a small company is the scarriest part about the Vent. Are these using proprietary parts?

If this small company would go away. Let's say the owner get fantastic job offer from another company .... will I be able to get this thing repaired? I don't know.

But I have Hammond gear if it goes bad can't be repaired. Anyone want to buy a XB-2? LOL!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

To complain about a dollar or 2 plays right into the stereotype of the penny pinching keyboardist.

Have you ever seen a guitar player leave a tip for a waitress?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I hear so much crying over money in this thread. This one is $420, that one is $500 . Is $80 really going to set you back? Whats that, one night at the bar? Neo is not Roland, they are a tiny micro company struggling to survive in a country that's part of the EU's recession. If you like the sound of the Burn better, get it. If you are a Vent fan like me , the Vent II might be your ticket. To complain about a dollar or 2 plays right into the stereotype of the penny pinching keyboardist.

It's known as getting value for money. I'm going to open a tiny micro company selling something similar to a device already on the market, which is currently priced at $200.

Mine will be $300. I take it I can put you down for a pre-order? :)

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I spend a ton of money on equipment.. penny pinching keyboardists.. certainly not me.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

It's known as getting value for money. I'm going to open a tiny micro company selling something similar to a device already on the market, which is currently priced at $200.

Mine will be $300. I take it I can put you down for a pre-order? :)

SSM

It wouldn't be the first time I tossed away $100 to support something.

FunMachine.

I spend a ton of money on equipment.. penny pinching keyboardists.. certainly not me.

Keyboard players are the only musicians I can think of who will spend thousands on new gear so they can earn hundreds, while virtually every other musician keeps their proverbial '62 Strat. Penny pinching? Be a lead singer!

Here for the gear.

Oooooo. Someone hit a nerve...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

My daughter plays euphonium and my son plays a saxes.

Keyboard stuff is cheap. LOL!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

We disagree on esthetics.. I think the VentII is fugly as hell.

And here is me thinking only Americans have bad taste....... ;):)

Oh no, just perhaps a much higher percentage of citizenry :grin:

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

CEB - if you're worried about remote controlling the Vent II, all you need is a halfmoon switch wired up to a TRS plug (assuming it's the same as the original Vent).

The mini vent for organ with the Ashby upgrade actually looks like something I would consider building right into an organ -- it would be the snazziest way to add a line out imaginable. But that's a pretty expensive line out...

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

The Vent still sounds better than the Burn. The Burn might be more flexible, but the Vent is the better, more authentic Leslie sim.

The VentII is not necessarily a replacement for the original. The original is no longer available. This is a new model that features a couple of improvements.

It cannot be understated how important real-time control is with the Vent. All the primary functions are a dedicated knob away. No menu diving, no staring at a screen. One thing I love about the original Vent is that the DRIVE and DISTANCE knobs are right there, which I often adjust per songs with Janiva (and no, presets wouldn't work because my tastes change every night depending on the room, the atmosphere, the audience, how the song is being played that night, etc.)

Jim, let's be clear here, you're sponsored by Neo Instruments and when you're plugging the mini-vent you say that two presets are all you need, and when you're plugging the Ventilator II you're telling us that it's all about real time control. Whatever improvements that the Ventilator II has over the original Ventilator are of little to no consequence to the majority of us Keyboard players (new guitar mode???).

I don't happen to agree that the Vent sounds better than the Burn, and neither do I agree that real time control is any better than having 32 available presets, and midi control, and the price of the Ventilator II is outrageous!

The original Ventilator was well worth the $500 price tag 2-3 years ago when I bought mine, back when all the internal sims sucked. They don't suck anymore! My Mojo sim is great, the new Nord sim is great, my Korg Kronos CX3 sim is great, the Key B sim is great, EVEN the SK sim is pretty good these days.. There is no longer $500 difference in the quality of the Ventilator sim over almost any of the new internal sims.

For the Ventilator II to come out with the same basic feature set as the original, at the same cost as the original is just crazy! The world has changed since the original Ventilator came out.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

It cannot be understated how important real-time control is with the Vent.

As a related example my Voce V5+ uses 9 drawbars for the upper manual control and programmable presets for the lower manual. Voce recognized that lower manual presets might not do the trick for all players so you can also control the lower manual virtual drawbars (contained within the unit) via MIDI, either with a Voce Midi Drawbar unit (which I own as well) or from any MIDI assignable continuous controller. I use the PC3s 9 sliders to control the lower drawbars. I gigged one time using the lower manual presets and will NEVER do that again. When I want to change the lower manuals drawbars I dont want to create a preset on the fly, hit buttons to save and then call it up. I instead use either the Voce Midi drawbar units 9 drawbars in realtime or the 9 sliders on the PC3 in real time. Same with leslie sim, I agree with Jim, I dont want to go menu diving when I have to change a parameter; I prefer the simplicity of the real time knobs on the Vent. The Burn sounds great, but as Jim pointed out the Vent sounds better. As far as the Vent 2, I dont need one since I have the original Vent which works fine for me. If my Vent is permanently hosed, I have a choice, either the Burn or the Vent 2. $50-100 bucks either way isnt going to sway me one way or the other; Ill choose the one that works best for me; which is a live environment setting with real time knobs.

Your tired song and dance has not. :deadhorse:
He's a closet Burn endorser .....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The world has changed since the original Ventilator came out.

Your tired song and dance has not. :deadhorse:

D-Bon,

You haven't contributed a thing to this thread..! But you feel entitled to just drop in and criticize me? Really?

Considering that this Ventilator II thread has just started today, you tire pretty easily. If you have an opinion go ahead and share it, I would really love to your insightful opinion on the features and price point of the new Ventilator II. Do you have anything new to add??

Craig MacDonald

And does the input pad make it compatible with Leslie-level signals?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

He's a closet Burn endorser .....

That's not at all true! I happen to be a big fan of innovation and value! The Burn is great value, and very innovative given the current leslie sim arena. This new Ventilator II is NOT good value at $499.

If anything it's Neo Instruments that is flogging a dead horse.. how many different ways can they repackage the same 122 algorithm.. and how can they possibly squeeze that last dollar of profit out of it!! When they come out with something new, then maybe I'll be a Neo Instruments fan again.

Craig MacDonald

This new Ventilator II is NOT good value at $499.

Craig, exactly how many more times are you going to point this out? Do you think we didn't hear you the first dozen times you've mentioned this?

how many different ways can they repackage the same 122 algorithm..
see above response ....

Also, don't forget to remind what a great value the VR09 is. You've only mentioned that one about 50 times as well....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The original Ventilator was well worth the $500 price tag 2-3 years ago when I bought mine, back when all the internal sims sucked. They don't suck anymore! My Mojo sim is great, the new Nord sim is great, my Korg Kronos CX3 sim is great, the Key B sim is great, EVEN the SK sim is pretty good these days.. There is no longer $500 difference in the quality of the Ventilator sim over almost any of the new internal sims.

.... is there really a 429 USD difference in the qualitiy of the Burn to all that

very good internal sims ???

don't think so....

Are you sponsored by GSi/Crumar ?

If not, you should be.....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

DD, so I'm not allowed to say that I like the Burn, I'm not allowed to say that the Ventilator II is not good value, and apparently NOW I'm not allowed to say that Neo Instruments just keep repackaging the same 122 algorithm.. OK check I got it. I won't say these things again.. Except in the event that the Neo Instruments sponsored artist comes back and makes definitive statements like "The Vent still sounds better than the Burn".. BTW does no one see anything wrong with that..?

If the Neo Instruments sponsored artist comes on and makes any more definitive statements like that, I reserve the right to come back here and provide an alternate unbiased opinion (which may involve stating that I like the Burn, the Ventilator II is not good value, and Neo Instruments are merely repackaging the same 122 algorithm).

Someone's got to keep this forum on the up and up..

Craig MacDonald

Craig, when the (as you call him) "Neo Instruments sponsored artist" says it 49 more times, then yes you can come back and make your statement. The point is Craig, we all heard you the first time, the second time you mentioned it, the 10th time you mentioned, and the 20th time. You mentioned above to D-Bon about making contributions to the post. Repeating something 50 times is no longer contributing.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Archived