Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEO VENTILATOR II

TKN

From Neo Ventilator User Page on Facebook:

FIRST LOOK! Here are the very first photos of the Neo Ventilator II and feature list! VENTILATOR II

- Faithful replication of the model 122 Leslies® rotary effect

- Independent emulations of bass and treble rotors

- Faithful replication of the originals mechanical properties

- Speaker simulation emulating the 122s frequency response

- Same 800Hz crossover as the original

- Adjustable rotary speed and acceleration

- Drive section that simulates tube saturation in the Leslies amp

- Variable placement of virtual microphones

- Relay-equipped true bypass circuit

- Speaker simulation may be switched off for guitar amps

- Port for a remote footswitch / half-moon switch / expression pedal

- Rugged sheet metal chassis and recessed knobs

- Simple, straightforward analog handling

- Controls: Bypass, Slow / Fast, Stop, Lo / Hi Input Gain select

- Parameters: Fast Speed, Slow Speed, Balance, Acceleration, Drive, Mode (Git1, Git2, Key), Mix / Distance Lo,

Mix / Distance Hi, Level, Remote select (Switch, Pedal Speed, Pedal Mix)

- Connections: In L, In R / Mono, Out L, Out R / Mono, Remote, 12V DC

- Dimensions: 160 x 140 x 57 mm

- Weight: 1100 g

photo.php?fbid=638315106226672&set=pcb.638316172893232&type=1

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's... interesting.

So the upgrades over the original include:

Built-in stop switch

Separate speed controls for slow and fast

Separate low and hi mic distances

An output level control (I guess?)

Two guitar modes instead of one

No MIDI control. No headphone out. No mention of any basic sonic improvement over the original. $499 price tag (mentioned in the comments).

All righty then...

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNN !!!!!!!

:laugh:

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

I was hoping for Midi and a 122/147 switch at the very least. I'm a bit disappointed ATM, but will reserve judgement until I see videos.

I'm sure GSI are laughing up their sleeves, this doesn't look like the Burn beater (or at least challenger) I was expecting.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Wow, very disappointing... Based on various forums I think a lot of people were waiting to see what the Ventilator II had to offer before committing to a Burn or waiting for the new Ventilator.. I expect that the guys at Crumar/GSE should start gearing up production.

I am really shocked that the guys at Neo Instruments would release such an overpriced and uncompetitive product. I get that some people prefer the sound of the squashed sound of the Vent, OK, but no midi, no new emulations (147 or other), no reverb and really.. two new guitar modes...? When you look at the mini-vents lack of remote and the Vent II's new modes for guitar.. it's obvious that Neo Instruments aren't listening to keyboard players. IMHO

One last thing.. it's pretty fugly..

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I think you guys are missing the point.

An awful lot of Hammond users ( me included) couldn't give a stuff about MIDI, multiple emulations or all sorts of add ons, they just want something to emulate a Leslie cab without needing a degree in electronics or software.

Twiddle a knob, push a button, job done.

As for looks, I haven't heard one but the Burn looks cheap and nasty to me, the Vent looks like it's built like a tank.

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/products/burn/images/BURN_Cover.jpg

http://https//scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/q71/1505117_638315106226672_1532754170_n.jpg

1505117_638315106226672_1532754170_n.jpg

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Actually, I think you are missing the point.. most players who perform with real hammonds take real leslies with them.. These sims are targeted at clones and guitar players and, based on the release of Neo Instruments newest products, I would say that guitars are their primary focus (when you consider their recent products mini-vent for guitar vs poorly thought out mini-vent for keyboards with no remote, and the Ventilator II with really only one new thing.. a second guitar mode).

I think that the number of real hammond players performing with a vent/burn or whatever is completely insignificant compared to the number of clone users that own ventilator/burn sims.. Furthermore, I'm convinced that the lack of midi and new guitar modes, suggest that they're really going after the guitar effect market which I expect is MUCH larger than the clone or real hammond market.

Just MY opinion of course..

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I think you guys are missing the point.

An awful lot of Hammond users ( me included) couldn't give a stuff about MIDI, multiple emulations or all sorts of add ons, they just want something to emulate a Leslie cab without needing a degree in electronics or software.

Twiddle a knob, push a button, job done.

As for looks, I haven't heard one but the Burn looks cheap and nasty to me, the Vent looks like it's built like a tank.

I see what you're saying, but I reckon that over 90% of us don't play a Hammond. I honestly don't think that this is much of an upgrade from the original Ventilator, and is not much better than the mini vent. I really don't see the point of discontinuing the first model, if this is all that Neo Instruments are going to offer us.

I own a Burn, and while I agree that all the Vents look better, and are in smaller boxes, the Burn is neither cheap or nasty once you actually get it in your hands.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

BTW, I didn't see mention of the clickless stomp switches.. does the new Vent II have switches with the annoying loud click or the noiseless style that the Burn has...?

As far as the Burn build quality, I do think that the placement of the rotary dial does seem to make it a bit vulnerable to a foot stomp, but other than that the build quality is excellent, I've had no problems with mine.. and if something does go wrong, GSI/CRUMAR tech support is awesome!!

I should say that I'm a big fan of the Burn, but I was an equally big fan of the original Ventilator, it was a beautiful sounding effect with an elegance of design that was unmatched... Unfortunately.. they seem to be riding on their coat tails these days.. I'm not seeing any of the innovation that I saw in the original Ventilator.. they're relying on the reputation of the original vent to sell products that just aren't competitive.. My opinion of course, but I find what I'm seeing from Neo Instruments to be VERY disappointing..

The other thing I didn't mention is the fact that the newer clones leslie sims are getting MUCH better and they're rivalling the vent now.. That's another reason why the Neo Instrument folks are focusing on the guitar market. However, for that market it's WAY overpriced!!

Craig MacDonald

BTW, I didn't see mention of the clickless stomp switches.. does the new Vent II have switches with the annoying loud click or the noiseless style that the Burn has...?

As far as the Burn build quality, I do think that the placement of the rotary dial does seem to make it a bit vulnerable to a foot stomp, but other than that the build quality is excellent, I've had no problems with mine.. and if something does go wrong, GSI/CRUMAR tech support is awesome!!

I should say that I'm a big fan of the Burn, but I was an equally big fan of the original Ventilator, it was a beautiful sounding effect with an elegance of design that was unmatched... Unfortunately.. they seem to be riding on their coat tails these days.. I'm not seeing any of the innovation that I saw in the original Ventilator.. they're relying on the reputation of the original vent to sell products that just aren't competitive.. My opinion of course, but I find what I'm seeing from Neo Instruments to be VERY disappointing..

The other thing I didn't mention is the fact that the newer clones leslie sims are getting MUCH better and they're rivalling the vent now.. That's another reason why the Neo Instrument folks are focusing on the guitar market. However, for that market it's WAY overpriced!!

You're a big fan of the Vent Craig? I would never have guessed... :o

My comment was my view too - you're entitled to yours.

I'm not inclined to agree that all Hammond players (my clone IS a Hammond ;)) would want to tote a Leslie around (if they travel at all) or have the space for a Leslie cab for that matter.

The fact is neither I nor you really know.

And unless you are in the marketing dept of Neo you really don't have a clue about who they are selling to, what their market size is, whether it consists of guitar players, Hammond players, clone players, sitar players or anything else for that matter.

Assuming they have a good marketing dept they have done their research, worked out what MOST of their potential customers want and set the price accordingly.

Is their business in trouble? Doesn't look like it........

R

Alan

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

IMHO the Ventilator 2 is "just" a replacement of the Vent 1.

Does it need to be that much different?

No !

Why?

Cause it nails the 122 sound, period!

The Burn is an nice effectsbox but the Vent beats it i terms of

pure Lesliesound. If someone needs the extra gadgets of the Burn, fine. I sold mine.

There will be a Ventilator Pro soon, Halfrack, Midi etc.

Jim Alfredson mentioned this in another thread too.

The Mini Vent Organ makes no sense IMO.....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Well, in any case it is an improvement in many ways, over the original product that is still great. I still have the Ventilator and also a Burn, but the Burn has replaced the Vent in my live rig, simply because it is so much more flexible. Anyhow, I don't see any reason to upgrade from the Vent to Vent II. For new users it is great to get a better product for the same price.

However - I was also expecting presets and MIDI, but I guess we'll see that in the upcoming rack model. Somewhere I also read that the rack version also probably will have simulations of more types of cabinets, like 147, 760 and so on, not just 122.

I think as always we are expecting to get more for less money - and that won't happen this NAMM either. :thu: (but... it seems like Moog accomplished just that with the Sub37... :smile:)

Hmm, I dunno... I know a couple of guitarist who are willing to pay $400 for the perfect fuzz pedal, so I 499 might not be to big a stretch... I think for many the size and real estate on the pedal board might be a bigger issue, but then there's the MiniVent.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Alan,

YES I was a very big fan of the Ventilator, and I bet that Neo Instruments sold at least 10-20 Ventilators as a result of my reviews, and my recommendations on various forums and while I was working in retail music sales.. NO QUESTION.. I was a major fan!

The thing is, and I've said this several times.. when the Ventilator was first on the market it was innovative, FAR better sounding than anything available at the time, it had a superbly simple design, and it was well worth the $500 price tag.. HOWEVER, things have changed.. there is competition now, both from other leslie pedals (like the Burn) as well as the internal leslie sims of the clones that we play.. (yes even the HS sim is getting better).

I tend to use my brain to read between the lines.. I see the second product released by Neo Instruments is a mini-vent FOR GUITAR, and the Ventilator II being released with the only really new feature being a second GUITAR MODE and from that I conclude that they're targeting the guitar market.. I also consider the fact that original ventilator has probably already saturated the clone market, and their new Ventilator II adds no new functionality, so there is NO reason for any owner of the original to upgrade. I put all of this together and it tells me that Neo Instruments is going after the guitar market rather than the clone market..

THAT is disappointing and, frankly, I wouldn't pay $500 for a Ventilator I or II today!! It isn't $500 better than my Mojo sim, my Kronos CX3 sim or my VR-09 sim for that matter!! My opinion of course!

You are absolutely right, I really have no knowledge of the target market for the Ventilator II.. I only have what I see and hear.. but there is no question that the innovation is missing/gone, that's a fact.. nothing new here!! Neo Instruments is simply trying to find different ways to repackage the same sim, and target a different audience. VERY disappointing.. (have I mentioned how disappointed I am).

Yes, that's my opinion.. but there are a lot of indicators that would support that position! I was a big fan.. now not so much..

Craig MacDonald

The Neo Ventilator User Page says that a Ventilator Pro is in the pipeline so I expect that's where midi control will come.

Not sure I really understand Neo's pricing though, the Mini Vent for Organ is $459 (MSRP) and apparently the Ventilator II will be $499 (but not sure if that's MSRP or not.

I've just bought a Mini Vent for Organ and feel like I should have waited for the II, as I would have got a bit more bang for my buck (pound). Ah well you live and learn. And anyway the sound is great and that's the main thing.

IMHO the Ventilator 2 is "just" a replacement of the Vent 1.

Does it need to be that much different?

No !

Why?

Cause it nails the 122 sound, period!

The Burn is an nice effectsbox but the Vent beats it i terms of

pure Lesliesound. If someone needs the extra gadgets of the Burn, fine. I sold mine.

Jim Alfredson mentioned this in another thread too.

The Mini Vent Organ makes no sense IMO.....

SO.. now that we've seen the specs of the Ventilator II and it's a dud, we're waiting for the rack version...? How long is Neo Instruments going to make us wait for something new and innovative.. something that makes us want to part with our cash??? Burn baby!! Some people prefer the squashed sound of the Ventilator, but I prefer all the features and functionality of the Burn, and for a lot less money. I was a Ventilator fan.. no so much now.. I'm a Burn fan.

We do agree that the Mini-Vent for organ makes no sense.. (it was an afterthought to fill the gap for keyboard players).. another example (IMHO) of Neo Instruments just trying to make some money off the original ventilator algorithm.

Craig MacDonald

If someone want a Leslie sim for guitar, will he buy a Neo Vent II for 500 usd/euro or Strymon Lex for 300 ?

(I had a lex in the past and i used it with my K2661 and it was a great leslie sim...but many people in this forum insist that lex is better for guitar than organ...Leslie pedals are leslie pedals...all the companies that made these pedals try to nail this effect/sound. Why we must separate it, and we tell about leslie for guitar or leslie for organ ?).

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

If someone want a Leslie sim for guitar, will he buy a Neo Vent II for 500 usd/euro or Strymon Lex for 300 ?

(I had a lex in the past and i used it with my K2661 and it was a great leslie sim...but many people in this forum insist that lex is better for guitar than organ...Leslie pedals are leslie pedals...all the companies that made these pedals try to nail this effect/sound. Why we must separate it, and we tell about leslie for guitar or leslie for organ ?).

Well for one thing they have different signal levels, and different applications (the way they are physically used).. for example the mini-vent for guitar is actually better designed for guitar because it's smaller and square and would fit better along side a guitarists other effects pedal in an effects pedal box. Keyboard players want remote switching (for half moon switches or expression pedal kick switches etc).. and guitarists and real Hammond players have no need for midi switching but Clone players do.. There are lot's of reason to differentiate between Leslie effects for guitar or keyboards.

Craig MacDonald

the Ventilator 2 is "just" a replacement of the Vent 1.

This.

And we don´t really know from functionality specs what the real improvements of the Vent 2 are.

Maybe there´s more DSP power under the hood or the realisation is now on FPGA or whatever they might have changed to make it a better device.

I´m waiting for the rack version anyway, just only to get MIDI control when such a device is mounted into a (eventually off stage positioned) rack.

I´d wish they make a full 19" wide 1HU rack housing 2 sims to get a double leslie.

A.C.

"Well for one thing they have different signal levels, and different applications (the way they are physically used).. for example the mini-vent for guitar is actually better designed for guitar because it's smaller and square and would fit better along side a guitarists other effects pedal in an effects pedal box. Keyboard players want remote switching (for half moon switches or expression pedal kick switches etc).. and guitarists and real Hammond players have no need for midi switching but Clone players do.. There are lot's of reason to differentiate between Leslie effects for guitar or keyboards."

I understand what you mean, but the effect is the same...many years ago when an guitar player wanted to play through a leslie cabinet, he used a leslie cabinet, so the effect the companies try to replicate is the same...

the Ventilator 2 is "just" a replacement of the Vent 1.

This.

And we don´t really know from functionality specs what the real improvements of the Vent 2 are.

Maybe there´s more DSP power under the hood or the realisation is now on FPGA or whatever they might have changed to make it a better device.

I´m waiting for the rack version anyway, just only to get MIDI control when such a device is mounted into a (eventually off stage positioned) rack.

I´d wish they make a full 19" wide 1HU rack housing 2 sims to get a double leslie.

A.C.

Well AC, you keep on waiting.. good luck with that.. I have midi control and lots of DSP power in my less expensive Burn.

Many of us thought that the Ventilator II would have some great new features.. but we're disappointed.. hope you have better luck with the rack version.

Craig MacDonald

Well, in any case it is an improvement in many ways, over the original product that is still great.

I'm sorry, but what are the improvements in many ways? I see a separate stop switch, and err, a separate stop switch.

OK, if you are using it for guitar, there is an extra guitar setting, but for a k/b player, I don't see much improvement. I thought the original was fantastic, but don't see the point of an upgrade that offers very little extra.

I've been waiting for this with baited breath, and I'm sooooooo underwhelmed.

SSM

The Neo Ventilator User Page says that a Ventilator Pro is in the pipeline so I expect that's where midi control will come.

Not sure I really understand Neo's pricing though, the Mini Vent for Organ is $459 (MSRP) and apparently the Ventilator II will be $499 (but not sure if that's MSRP or not.

I've just bought a Mini Vent for Organ and feel like I should have waited for the II, as I would have got a bit more bang for my buck (pound). Ah well you live and learn. And anyway the sound is great and that's the main thing.

Brucie808,

I happen to think that both are way over priced.. Sorry that you are disappointed, but I have to say I'm not surprised.. when you look at the price of the full featured Ventilator II, and compare it to the dumbed down mini-vent.. the $40 difference in prices has to make you feel a bit ripped off.

That said, as much as I don't like the mini-vent (or it's ridiculously high price), the mini-vent may be perfect for some people in certain applications..

Craig MacDonald

Well, in any case it is an improvement in many ways, over the original product that is still great.

I'm sorry, but what are the improvements in many ways? I see a separate stop switch, and err, a separate stop switch.

OK, if you are using it for guitar, there is an extra guitar setting, but for a k/b player, I don't see much improvement. I thought the original was fantastic, but don't see the point of an upgrade that offers very little extra.

SSM

SSM,

You are absolutely right!! There really is NOTHING of any consequence new in the ventilator II.. certainly nothing new that's of any interest to us keyboard players.. nothing worth upgrading from the original to, and frankly (my opinion again) nothing that would make me want to spend $500 when I have a good sim in my Mojo, my Kronos CX3, and even my VR-09.. All of these sims are quite good.

Craig MacDonald

Dang it. Do I get the Mini Vent which is nice and simple with the Ashby remote options .... Or do I get this new thing?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

OK DD, I apologize if I'm sounding like a broken record.. I have been trying to make the point that I was a major fan of the original Ventilator (which some don't seem to believe), and I am now very disappointed in their lack of innovation, and on the other hand I'm very impressed with GSI/Crumar for their innovation and the value that their Burn brings to the market. I won't say it again..

Craig MacDonald

Dang it. Do I get the Mini Vent which is nice and simple with the Ashby remote options .... Or do I get this new thing?

The Ashby remote adds $70 to the price tag... so you're getting pretty close to the price of a Ventilator II, so I see your dilemma. If you really want the ventilator sound how about a used one.. they really are very well built and they come available frequently and sell in the $250 to $350 range (if I'm not mistaken). Maybe this is a better option.. I'm actually starting to think about selling my Ventilator... hmm

Craig MacDonald

The most important point here is has anyone HEARD one?

Who gives a FF whether it is smaller/larger/cheaper/blacker/greener, how does it SOUND compared to the internal sims and the original Vent?

I've struggled to find s problem with it, other than the price is way too high when you consider the Boss CE20 and RE20, which are more complex pedals are half the price.

Archived