Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEO VENTILATOR II

TKN

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you ever used a real Leslie? The frequency response of the Vent is much more like a real Leslie, vs the Electro's full range sound. When I 1st got my Vent and used it on my Electro, I was shocked at the difference, and it definitely took some time getting used to, because I hadn't used a real Leslie for a while.

Like Kas said, play it for a while without going back and forth.

Bif, the average listener won't notice, but as players, we do, and isn't that the most important thing?

Amen to that... I hear far too much talk about "LISTENER won't hear"; it's NOT about the listener hearing the difference. it's about YOU hearing the difference, and THAT difference translates to YOU sounding better to Audience. And THAT, they perhaps do hear.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Did you listen to Jim's review video? He said that the new one captures the sound of the old Vent.

just re-read his review - thanks - apart from all the additional options (including sound wise) I'm not clear on how they necessarily translate to bottom-line improvement in the leslie sim...

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

The improvement is not in the sim but rather in how much control you have over the sim. The original Ventilator was meant to be as authentic of an emulation of a 122 as you could get and all the parameters varied from that authenticity very slightly. With the Vent II, you have a much wider range of control so you can create a Leslie with the over-all tonal characteristics of a 122 but with vastly different slow, fast, speed up, slow down times, etc.

A friend of mine just upgraded from the original Vent to the II, and he loves it. He claims the overdrive is noticeably better, but everything I've read seems to indicate it's unchanged from the original. Is it likely that the improvement is all in his head?

I think the Vent II has adjustable input and output levels so it is possible he is getting a different drive saturation level that is impacting the sound of the vent at different volume levels.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The improvement is not in the sim but rather in how much control you have over the sim. The original Ventilator was meant to be as authentic of an emulation of a 122 as you could get and all the parameters varied from that authenticity very slightly. With the Vent II, you have a much wider range of control so you can create a Leslie with the over-all tonal characteristics of a 122 but with vastly different slow, fast, speed up, slow down times, etc.

thanks Jim - makes sense - and wondering, like the post above whether or not any audible changes were made to the leslie sim itself - which reminds me, any chance you might post a clip of yourself playing, using the variable rotary speed control on the vent II? of all the new adjustables, that interests me the most, wondering how it sounds though... :) thnxx!

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Morizzle,

One question:

How to modify a sustainpedal (connected to the remote jack) so it switches between slow/fast and not between stop/fast or stop/slow as it is now?

RTFM!!!!! (Sorry, couldn't resist that!) :laugh:

If you look on pages 28/29 of the manual, (Switch Modes), I think Mode 5 may do what you want. Unless, of course, I've misunderstood your question.

SSM

Well, I actually did RTFM...and yes, you misunderstood my question.

Analogholic, I think this would require resoldering the TRS plug.

The Ventilator II expects Slow / Fast switching between Ring and Ground.

Thanks man! It was late at night and was a bit confused since a sustainpedal is mono and not TRS (stereo). The manual didn´t say anything about TRS only "ring to sleeve" which does´t mean anything to an electric "analphabet" like me :) So yes, as you said, replace the mono jack with a TRS.

Actually didn´t have to do that as I found a weird cable with two mono jacks on one end and a TRS on the other. (CV/Gate-cable for my Moog Source). With one of the mono jacks connected to a Roland footswitch (with jack)it works like a charm! :)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Morizzle,

One question:

How to modify a sustainpedal (connected to the remote jack) so it switches between slow/fast and not between stop/fast or stop/slow as it is now?

RTFM!!!!! (Sorry, couldn't resist that!) :laugh:

If you look on pages 28/29 of the manual, (Switch Modes), I think Mode 5 may do what you want. Unless, of course, I've misunderstood your question.

SSM

Well, I actually did RTFM...and yes, you misunderstood my question.

Sorry about that! :). Glad you got it sorted.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

So I'm using the original Vent this week on the road because my Vent II is a beta unit and needs to have the firmware updated. Gand Music is going to do it for me, I just need to send it in. They actually sent me another Vent II but it arrived just late enough that I couldn't take it.

Anyway, this is by no means a scientific comparison and my ears could be fooling me but I used the Vent II for a month before now. Going back to the original, it seems like there is a bit of a difference in the high end. The Vent I seems a bit more cloudy whereas the Vent II was really open and brighter. Now this could just be due to the settings on the Vent II and I think and direct comparison is in order but that's my initial impression upon going back to the original.

So I'm using the original Vent this week on the road because my Vent II is a beta unit and needs to have the firmware updated. Gand Music is going to do it for me, I just need to send it in. They actually sent me another Vent II but it arrived just late enough that I couldn't take it.

Anyway, this is by no means a scientific comparison and my ears could be fooling me but I used the Vent II for a month before now. Going back to the original, it seems like there is a bit of a difference in the high end. The Vent I seems a bit more cloudy whereas the Vent II was really open and brighter. Now this could just be due to the settings on the Vent II and I think and direct comparison is in order but that's my initial impression upon going back to the original.

You call it cloudy, I call it creamy.

FunMachine.

Since you have individual control over the mix and distance of both rotors on the Vent II, I have no doubt that one can achieve the cloudiness / creaminess one desires. But I thought it was interesting. Again, a real side by side comparison is in order. I'll do that once I'm home at the end of the month.

• 2 months later...
Since you have individual control over the mix and distance of both rotors on the Vent II, I have no doubt that one can achieve the cloudiness / creaminess one desires. But I thought it was interesting. Again, a real side by side comparison is in order. I'll do that once I'm home at the end of the month.

Home yet? ;-)

(One thing I'm interested in is in any difference in the overdrive...)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 years later...

Hi guys,

I know that is an old thread, but please could someone pass me some experience between original Ventilator and Ventilator 2? I know everything about features, but what say you about the sound? What would you recommend after this period of time and experience?

Thanks!

I owned and performed with both models. Both are excellent. the Vent II gives you a little more control. I also liked the overdrive better on the II.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I owned and performed with both models. Both are excellent. the Vent II gives you a little more control. I also liked the overdrive better on the II.

This has been my experience as well.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Strange , i still like the overdrive of the original vent in a way that doesn't need any improvements at all.

I like the KeyB Legend simulation a little better, but the drive model of the original vent was/is its highlight.

I never understand comments like "" the drive in the vent2 is noticeably better"".

If that was the case people should have commented on the original drive and what could still be bettered.

Nothing of the sorts, on the contrary.

It reminds me of the Numa2, where magazines (fact) wrote it was a noticable improvement upon the original Numa.

I was in for an earcheck , so i thought........untill i seemed not the only one who thought the 1 was clearly superiour to the 2.

Elvio Previati confirmed this at the Messe and he thought it was night and day in favour of the original Numa.

Back to the vent. I spoke to an insider at the Messe and it seemed that the original ventilator was a huge hit, not so much with the second one, but i won't give any more details.

I am happy for those who seem to hear an obvious improvement in the ventilator2....Good ! This way Neo instruments will make money.......but my advise to those who don't have a ventilator, buy the original from ebay or whatever online market place...... igoring the 'improvements' of the vent2 .

It all comes down to price. Both are overpriced, IMHO

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The only improvements i thought the vent 1 could use would be to be able to set where the rotor faced on brake. I like some of the off axis tones the original vent 1 got before the vent 1.5 but sometimes you had to goose it a couple of times to get a good spot. I would prefer a brake control in place of the bypass which i never use. Some complained that the vent 1 would have beat oscilation when an xk3c was on c3 chorus and all the bars were pulled out and the distortion was maxed and you turned your head just right. I never noticed it. The vent 2 was changed a little bit to correct this. I think both models could use an onboard parametric notch filter so i could make my vent sound different than yours like how 122s dont all sound identical.

FunMachine.

Archived