Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEO VENTILATOR II

TKN

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shit! It don't. I know it has the 11-pin. That is what I run to the Leslie.

I thought it had an 8 also over by the Midi jacks. Shows how much I pay attention. I will just buy the 11-pin cable off George.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

8 would be fine also..... probably better since it looks like easier wire t handle. I have several 11-pin leslies and 11-pin cables and I have never needed to use the 8 pin socket.

Thanks that would be great if the brake butto on the XK3c would tell the Vent to stop.

There is a mod that bruce ashby wont do that would use the bypass switch for the brake. its really just moving a couple of wires. I only use my vent with organ and never bypass and almost went in there to mod myself but bought the neo footswitch instead.

Where can I find info on this mod?

I heard a reference to it in the early days of the vent 1. I later asked bruce walher and because it wasn't an authorized neo mod he didn't want to do it. I don't have official instructions but I have some experience with a minor mod like this.

The bypass footswitch is likely going to have 3 wires going to it. You would find the 2 that keep the effect on by touching them together to see what happens. Solder or wire nut those 2 together and tape off the end of the 3rd wire. This frees up the switch.

One of the wires going to the external footswitch jack is the one that controls "stop". In a circuit like this touching that wire to ground usually switches the vent to stop. You would run a jumper wire from the ground terminal on the external footswitch jack to one side of the now freed up footswitch. Now disconnect the "stop" control wire from the external footswitch jack and connect it to the other side of the footswitch.

I would take a picture of the wiring and / or make a diagram so if it doesn't work out you can wire it back to stock. You might email guido at neo or bruce at ashby to see if this is right but basic switching logic says it is. Any tech could do it but it would cost around $75.00 .

I never got around to it because I got the neo footswitch.

FunMachine.

Wonder if this would work?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XK3CtoStudio12/

George's cable runs the switching from the 11-pin socket to the Vent but you have to run a seperate cable from the organ for the audio. which I guess would work.

Other plans I have seen involve connecting a power supp to the leslie cable....I am not sure why you can't use the normal Vent power supply. I don't know what is going on there.

Ashby will build you a cable for $90 if you buy the Vent from them.

Ashby will build you a cable for $90 if you buy the Vent from them.

It must be a hell of a cable! IIRC, he only charges about $35 for a footswitch.

Having said that, they are a great company to deal with, and if that's what they charge, I'm sure it's a fair price.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

It includes an inline powersupply to reduce the chance of any noise from the organ. Plus benchtime, amphenol connector, shielded multiline cabling.

I've played these things for quite a while and I am not totally what all constitutes a beating.
I thought HammondDave had a video that demonstrated beating that he was encountering in certain situations but I don't see it on his YouTube channel.

Here it is...

[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kpIaAFzTgro&feature=c4-feed-u

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I've played these things for quite a while and I am not totally what all constitutes a beating.
I thought HammondDave had a video that demonstrated beating that he was encountering in certain situations but I don't see it on his YouTube channel.

Here it is...

Ah - I was looking under your real name.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ashby e-mailed me. I can run the Mini Vent off the 11-pin socket also. I am on the fence as to wait for Vent II which may or may not be out in time or get the Mini now. I asked Bruce for quote for everything I need, Mini, remote mod and the 11-pin cable.

I don't need a lot of tweakability. I just need one good sound. I just need to sound like Gregg Rolie. Hoping I can adjust the grind on the Vent by hitting the Vent harder like i would do on a tube amp.

I am on the fence as to wait for Vent II which may or may not be out in time or get the Mini now.

Depends when you need it by. I read somewhere that the Vent ll was due out in mid-April.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Here it is...

Ah - I was looking under your real name.

There are three more videos shot at my friend's house where we do an a/b with the vent and a real Leslie. There is great debate on this harmonic beating with good people claiming different results. All I know is what I hear... you may hear it, or not.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The XK3c has a 11 pin Leslie socket, no DIN socket. Or are you referring to the combined expression pedal/leslie switch?

11-pin? go through a 1122 kit (or 1147) into a real leslie!

Man, $90 here, $60 there all on mods hat should be there already. Things starting to add up with the vent.

I do use a Real Leslie. I am getting a Vent so I don't have to do that anymore.

Oh.

But you'll still need to haul a nice big speaker often, right?

*this is sort of why I reply these sims are best for recording. Live requires a decent amp anyway, and so if yer hauling that (and then the sim, it's cabling, etc.) how is it much easier/better than hauling the leslie? (which really is easier, leslie cable out to in

But maybe it's to set the sim on max OD and do that thing.

I do use a Real Leslie. I am getting a Vent so I don't have to do that anymore.

No I don't carry big cabinets. I play through a pair of little 8" EVs. The DIs run everything to the front of house. If anyone on stage needs to hear my keys they get it through their monitor send.

The beauty of this sim is it is leslie cable out of the organ straight to the sim. Swell pedal kick switch, brake switch etc.... on the organ works for the sim. Well, I guess it does. I will find out for sure in about 10 days. It might suck.

The gig I had for the last five year transported my rig. Now I have to haul my own gear. :cry:

The XK3c has a 11 pin Leslie socket, no DIN socket. Or are you referring to the combined expression pedal/leslie switch?

11-pin? go through a 1122 kit (or 1147) into a real leslie!

Man, $90 here, $60 there all on mods hat should be there already. Things starting to add up with the vent.

All you need is an audio cable from the XK3c to the Vent and use the footswitch on the Vent. Not much adding up for me, at least compared to moving a Leslie kit a 122 and some microphones.

All you need is an audio cable from the XK3c to the Vent and use the footswitch on the Vent.

Not true if you use stop frequently. Having to step on 2 switches at once is a non starter for me.

I have a Mini Vent coming to hook to my XK-1C, and will be using a sustain pedal into the XK and 8 pin din out to Mini Vent with Mini Remote. That way I can switch from single speed leslie to dual speed leslie on the XK panel, and the footswitch does either slow/fast or stop/fast.

Moe

---

That is cool. I went my route because often the right foot is on the swell pedal and the left is on the piano's sustan pedal and both hands are busy playing. I switch gears with a kick switch on the swell pedal.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I got my Ventilator II today. Oh yes, I love it!

did you have a vent (I) before? if so, how do they compare??

thnxx!

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Yes, how do they compare?

Also- has anyone used two Vents, sending one to left and the other right?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

George Benton has one. He likes it.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I got one a few days ago. Not sure if I like it. I've got to do some more testing this week.

What? It's not love at first sight??

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Thing is, so far I only spent an hour with it. I think the main problem is that I'm just so used to Nord's Leslie sim. When playing in stereo, I liked how vivid and big the sound became with the Vent, however, I found it a bit to chorus-y. In mono through the K10, I didn't think the difference between the Nord and Vent was big enough to justify a 400 purchase.

Well, I'll need to fiddle with the knobs a bit and see if I find some settings I like.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Morizzle,

This is what I have been saying for some time now. Internal sims are getting so good that they rival the Ventilator. So how do we justify these high prices for the Vents?? Especially when there is competition from much less expensive leslie pedals, some of which have significantly more features.. for a lot less $$.

However, this is a thread that's dedicated to Ventiator Love so I will try not to disrupt the bliss any more than I already have.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Archived