Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEO VENTILATOR II

TKN

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, this is a thread that's dedicated to Ventiator Love so I will try not to disrupt the bliss any more than I already have.

Craig,

You made me laugh.

I agree that it's hard for a lot of people to justify the additional expense. I've used the Leslie sim on my PC3 instead of taking my Vent before and I assume the Nord sim is better.

How much gear, how much money you have to spend, how many cables, what type of music, how much organ stuff, etc., are all factors that will influence this buying decision.

And sadly, the average listener will never hear the difference.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I justfied it because I hope to never buy another combo organ ever. I aint going to be doing this when I am on social security. I should be able to get another 8 years out of my XK33c.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Have you ever used a real Leslie? The frequency response of the Vent is much more like a real Leslie, vs the Electro's full range sound. When I 1st got my Vent and used it on my Electro, I was shocked at the difference, and it definitely took some time getting used to, because I hadn't used a real Leslie for a while.

Like Kas said, play it for a while without going back and forth.

Bif, the average listener won't notice, but as players, we do, and isn't that the most important thing?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I agree... People who have not had the experience to hear a LIVE Leslie are used to a different sound.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The coolest thing about the Mini VENT how it responds to being slammed. I play the Vent I do a leslie.

I had to set the overdrive on the lowest level. I crank the organ and when I mash the gas the crazy thing breaks up like a tube amp. It doesn't get fizzy like the organ's built in OD.

I connected my new Ventilator up to my SK1 this afternoon, and I must say that I'm slightly underwhelmed.

The Leslie is OK, but the drive is a lot less than I expected.

I suppose I'm used to guitar overdrives, which alter your sound dramatically. The Vent drive seems very subtle in comparison.

I'm really not sure about it yet.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I connected my new Ventilator up to my SK1 this afternoon, and I must say that I'm slightly underwhelmed.

I suppose I'm used to guitar overdrives, which alter your sound dramatically. The Vent drive seems very subtle in comparison.

SSM

Drive it harder.

FunMachine.

Yep... Slam it like a preamp. I had to set mine to the lowest setting (Mini Vent because setting 2 was too much OD for all my Santana covers. I run the master volume on the organ hot.

But if you want to sound like famous Jon Lord stuff he didn't use Leslie and that was because Ritchie couldn't play rhythm. I always thought that sound sucked but worked for that Purple.

SSM

Drive it harder.

I've had the drive up to the Max Kas, on the last few millimetres on the knob it just distorts. Maybe I expected too much.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

SSM

OK, I have a solution! I switched on the overdrive on the SK1. I have it at just over 12 o' clock. Together with the drive on the Vent set at around 2 o'clock or 2.30, I have exactly the sound I was looking for.

Result! I'm a happy bunny. Was beginning to think about sending the Vent back, but it's definitely a keeper.

SSM

Repeat after me:

Leslies do not give you the Machine Head organ sound. Neither do sims.

Moe

---

SSM

Drive it harder.

I've had the drive up to the Max Kas, on the last few millimetres on the knob it just distorts. Maybe I expected too much.

SSM

Well, the thing is supposed to sim a real leslie, nothing more nothing less. The OD you want is over and above a real leslie. I can push mine well into the Tend My Garden range.

BTW im working on a DP tribute song and i'm NAILING JL's sound running a clone into a vent then into a 15 watt marshall tube combo. Finding someone who can sing like glen hughes has been the hitch.

FunMachine.

Repeat after me:

I didn't want Machine Head, I just wanted a bit (well, quite a bit) of grit. And, now I have it - see the post before yours!

In fact, I can get about 70% of Machine Head if I want it!

SSM

SSM

Drive it harder.

SSM

Well, the thing is supposed to sim a real leslie, nothing more nothing less. The OD you want is over and above a real leslie. I can push mine well into the Tend My Garden range.

BTW im working on a DP tribute song and i'm NAILING JL's sound running a clone into a vent then into a 15 watt marshall tube combo. Finding someone who can sing like glen hughes has been the hitch.

Kas, go back half a dozen posts to where I say that I have a solution. All is well!

SSM

Yes, using the SK's overdrive modestly with the Vent's overdrive is a great sound.

I don't understand this word "modest". I'm a guitarist!

As I said, I now have the overdrive on the SK set at a smidgen over 12 o'clock, and the one on the Vent at about 2.30, so there's plenty more on both dials should I need it!

Maybe I won't have to shell out £350/$475 on a Tube Manufactur Organ Drive after all!

SSM

SSM

Drive it harder.

SSM

It's not just the drive knob, you need to get the input level hot enough as well by cranking up the master volume on the organ. Once that is set, the drive knob will give you lots of grit.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Yes, using the SK's overdrive modestly with the Vent's overdrive is a great sound.

I found that approach worked great with the Numa organ as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

SSM

Drive it harder.

SSM

It's not just the drive knob, you need to get the input level hot enough as well by cranking up the master volume on the organ. Once that is set, the drive knob will give you lots of grit.

If you turn the organ volume up too much, the overload light comes on on the Vent. Anyway, I'm sorted now, but thanks for the input! :)

SSM

BTW im working on a DP tribute song and i'm NAILING JL's sound running a clone into a vent then into a 15 watt marshall tube combo.

hopefully you have it on "stop" :laugh:

On this particular song JL is using a leslie on the original. I do have the Key/Guit switch set to Guit though bypassing the cab sim.

FunMachine.

If you turn the organ volume up too much, the overload light comes on on the Vent. Anyway, I'm sorted now, but thanks for the input! :)

Just FYI, another important variable is the position of the Lo/Hi switch on the back panel.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just FYI, another important variable is the position of the Lo/Hi switch on the back panel.

Yeah Scott, got that, thanks. I actually worked my way through it, with the manual in one hand, and a print off of Jim Alfredson's review in the other, so as not to miss anything!

SSM

Morizzle,

This is what I have been saying for some time now. Internal sims are getting so good that they rival the Ventilator. So how do we justify these high prices for the Vents?? Especially when there is competition from much less expensive leslie pedals, some of which have significantly more features.. for a lot less $$.

Just couldn´t resist could you?

Features are nice, but SOUND is more important. Got my Vent II the other day and it makes the VB3 sound way better. Much more in your face now regarding the sound. Not to mention the rotorsim and overdrive. Hell Yeah :)

Makes my Nord scream as well :)

Will hook it up to the KeyB Expander tonite...

Yes it´s "expensive" but still worth the price to me.

Very pleased so far.

One question:

How to modify a sustainpedal (connected to the remote jack) so it switches between slow/fast and not between stop/fast or stop/slow as it is now?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Morizzle,

One question:

How to modify a sustainpedal (connected to the remote jack) so it switches between slow/fast and not between stop/fast or stop/slow as it is now?

RTFM!!!!! (Sorry, couldn't resist that!) :laugh:

If you look on pages 28/29 of the manual, (Switch Modes), I think Mode 5 may do what you want. Unless, of course, I've misunderstood your question.

SSM

thanks TKN - anyone out there used both original and vent II care to share your opinions?!?! Jim? thanks!!!

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Archived