Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEO VENTILATOR II

TKN

The mini vent for organ should be easy to adapt to an expression pedal kicker, if you have one that is non-latching.....I'm thinking of the rhythm unit triggers on organs like the T500. Not sure exactly what you have.

Making an 11-pin to Vent (not mini vent) adapter would not be very hard. A could of solid-state relays, some 11-pin cable, a plug, a TRS cord... 9-pin would be better, though, you could build in the power supply too. :)

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guitarists don't generally spend money in the same amount as we keyboardists - we have to because keyboards are expensive.

You don't know how wrong you are. I'm a guitarist, and I've spent circa $40,000 on my gear. Lots of guitarists I know have spent a lot more than that.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

It's Mr. Mays video (Leslie sim from Hammond)

Not bad at all. It looks like it might be the better choice over a Vent - IF - you can get a chance to A/B the two. Still as limited in scope compared to Burn (sorry) but at least offering different cabs in approach. I don't know the list price (I think $399 average).

Hey glad we're back on track and my apologies to all for the part that I played in dragging us OT...

Clearly there is a lot of interest in the question "what is the market for this new Vent II and what's with this price?" (so it's not just me) It's a big f-ing mystery ... simple replacement for the original? Big fish in a small pond...? guitarists looking for cheap multi-effects vs guitar collectors willing to spend any amount for "that" guitar or "that" sound.. Internal sims which are improving vs external leslie pedals, brand new guitar pedals entering the market... all of these factors influence the market for the Vent stuff (as well as lots of things that haven't been mentioned here). I love JoJoB3's question.. how often do you see a guitar player performing with a real leslie?

Obviously we can speculate all we want but only time will tell. In the mean time, I think this is healthy discussion (others might disagree) but CEB is thinking of a new sim and can't decide between the mini-vent and the Vent II and I'm sure that others are pondering Burn vs Vent, and maybe the new HS Leslie pedal is coming into the mix as well (I'm a tad surprised to hear it's been out for months and I'm sure how it managed to stay under the radar..?). I'd be interested in hearing it JoJoB3 if you can find that clip. I'll have to go look for this.

I know I've seen the 11 pin adaptor cable on eBay but it was $100 I think. You can make your own cable for a vent but using the 8 pin cable and switch it via the Hammond control with a foot switch I can follow up with more info when I get home from work tomorrow

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

8 would be fine also..... probably better since it looks like easier wire t handle. I have several 11-pin leslies and 11-pin cables and I have never needed to use the 8 pin socket.

Thanks that would be great if the brake butto on the XK3c would tell the Vent to stop.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

8 would be fine also..... probably better since it looks like easier wire t handle. I have several 11-pin leslies and 11-pin cables and I have never needed to use the 8 pin socket.

Thanks that would be great if the brake butto on the XK3c would tell the Vent to stop.

There is a mod that bruce ashby wont do that would use the bypass switch for the brake. its really just moving a couple of wires. I only use my vent with organ and never bypass and almost went in there to mod myself but bought the neo footswitch instead.

FunMachine.

I love JoJoB3's question.. how often do you see a guitar player performing with a real leslie?

Not often but I do have a friend who has a chopped down 125 he brings out to pretty much every gig.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

See! 16, 120, 125, 25...single rotor Leslies, man, I'm tellin' you that's where it's at for our guitar bretheren. With GOOD speakers, not the stock Jensen C12Ns.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Guitarists don't generally spend money in the same amount as we keyboardists - we have to because keyboards are expensive.

You don't know how wrong you are. I'm a guitarist, and I've spent circa $40,000 on my gear. Lots of guitarists I know have spent a lot more than that.

SSM

SSM

You speak for your experience.

I'm not wrong in my own experience - I have a lot of guitarist friends and they might buy a few expensive guitars and a nice valve amp but nothing like $40k.

And not a single $500 pedal.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Well, you're right about the pedals anyway. The most I ever spent was nearly $400 on a valve overdrive, but that was an exception. Most of my pedals were $150-$300,

I did consider $500 for a delay once, but managed to pick one up secondhand.

Did none of your guitarist friends get the original Ventilator? I know one that did, but the sound of a guitar and leslie does nothing for my ears, so I wasn't tempted. This was in the days before I took up keys.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Crazy guitar players are spending up to $2000 for old Klon overdrives. I know quite a few guys at TDPRI using Vents.

The hammond leslie pedal is interesting. Does anybody know if it is the same simulation as the keyboard version?

The website says:

"Derived from the state-of-the art Digital Leslie onboard the new Hammond Sk series stage keyboards and the flagship B-3mkII Organ."

And if it is different (soundwise), how?

The hammond leslie pedal is interesting. Does anybody know if it is the same simulation as the keyboard version?

The website says:

"Derived from the state-of-the art Digital Leslie onboard the new Hammond Sk series stage keyboards and the flagship B-3mkII Organ."

And if it is different (soundwise), how?

Sure sounds like it is. In fact, I would be surprised if it was not.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Well, you're right about the pedals anyway. The most I ever spent was nearly $400 on a valve overdrive, but that was an exception. Most of my pedals were $150-$300,

Did none of your guitarist friends get the original Ventilator? I know one that did, but the sound of a guitar and leslie does nothing for my ears, so I wasn't tempted. This was in the days before I took up keys.

SSM

Guitarist in Los Endos (my Genesis tribute band) wanted to plug into my Motionsound when I used it in rehearsal but had not real interest in the Vent............

PS We're both in the UK so lets baffle the Yanks and talk £ ;)

R

Alan

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

SSM

PS We're both in the UK so lets baffle the Yanks and talk £ ;)

R

Alan

I was going to quote £, but out of deference to most of this board who seem to be from the other side of the pond, I thought I would dumb it down convert it into dollars for them. :)

SSM

I know what I am going to do. George sells an 11-pin Ventilator cable. Other vendors do some 8 pin cables. But George has helped me out online so much that I will give him my business. Just need to find out if it will be 100% compatible with the Vent II when it comes out. It will be seemless control from the clone.

FWIW - If anybody from the Houston area ever needs Hammond support George Benton knows his stuff.

I know what I am going to do. George sells an 11-pin Ventilator cable. Other vendors do some 8 pin cables. But George has helped me out online so much that I will give him my business. Just need to find out if it will be 100% compatible with the Vent II when it comes out. It will be seemless control from the clone.

FWIW - If anybody from the Houston area ever needs Hammond support George Benton knows his stuff.

George is a great guy. I got to visit his shop once. Hammond heaven!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The Leslie sim pedal video shows him activating the over drive...but I think something's wrong there (hear no change in sound. No overdrive whatsoever in the video above).

YES I have kind of the same impression, the combination of SK/Leslie pedal just sounds rather antiseptic to me.. it's missing the warmth, and the OD that you'd hope for.. However, it's only one video demo, so you can't really judge this (until you posted your Burn demos everyone thought the Burn's OD was way over the top)..

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Uhhh....hmmm...

I don't think you meant to reply in this thread (see Burn thread).

It's the "Memphis" sound (lower rotor unplugged).

The overdrive I'm talking about is in the new Leslie pedal video I posted above. When he turned the knob all the way to introduce there is no OD heard (at all).

The Vents OD can be heard (as well as SKs, etc.). I think it was just a technical issue/mixup caught on video. I'm sure the pedal has OD.

The Leslie sim does offer a few different cabinets which is nice.

The Leslie sim pedal video shows him activating the over drive...but I think something's wrong there (hear no change in sound. No overdrive whatsoever in the video above).

YES I have kind of the same impression, the combination of SK/Leslie pedal just sounds rather antiseptic to me.. it's missing the warmth, and the OD that you'd hope for.. However, it's only one video demo, so you can't really judge this (until you posted your Burn demos everyone thought the Burn's OD was way over the top)..

YES the Burn does have quite a few advantages over the Ventilator I/II that haven't not been highlighted. Reverb is great and not just because it has it but because I think it's after the leslie sim isn't it? That's how it sounds to me, and I don't recall an option for pre/post leslie sim (I expect that is because most clones have reverb so if you want pre leslie sim you just turn the reverb up in your clone, if you want it post sim you just turn it on in the Burn.

Also the fact that it has the ability to stop/disconnect the low rotor is a great feature.. I think it's called the Orleans modification (or something like that).. again an advantage over the Vent's which I don't believe have that capability.. (not in the original Vent for sure and I don't think it's been added to the Vent II either).

So as you point out JoJoB3 it's not just midi/presets/real tube and other algorithms.. there are a lot of things to like about it the Burn, including some editable parameters, and other effects. I'm trying to create a Steppenwolf sound using the single rotor leslie algorithm, and a good ichychoo park sound with the Chorus algorithm rather than a regular leslie.

Incedentally, back in the mid 70's I actually played my B3 through a Roland Chorus pedal into a keyboard amp for about 6 months.. and I quite enjoyed that sound.. it was a bit more "prog" sounding.. I'm going to to some further experimenting with that on my Burn as well.

So, just to clarify, the rack-mount "Pro" version wasn't shown at NAMM, right?

Also, is there a general feeling about when the pedal version will become available, within some three month ballpark?

I finally found a link that worked (it's the Facebook photo) and the new design gets me past my hangup about the old design. I also listened to all of Jim's demos and have now ruled out any other option short of something that spins actual air in conjunction with the Vent II, but the Vent II has to come first. I don't see needing an amp with this, in terms of the recording chain, for getting the right sound and that's a prime reason for front-loading this purchase over other organ accessories.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

JoJoB3 yes you are correct on all points.. I was going to comment on two of your posts at once. one here and one in the other thread and clicked on the wrong email link which took me here.. Thanks for sorting this out for me.. and yes I meant the memphis sound.. (one of those southern US cities ;-)

My apologies..

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Is the "harmonic beating" caused by the leslie sim or the clone? I always thought it resided in the clone (cuz you should hear this awful XK2 I have to use if the organ no fit. It's not awful...just not very good. Serious harmonic beating with certain db's pulled and chords. On the real Hammond, Mojo, or XK3 it's fine). I have a burn vid of it but it seems pointless to post other than showing the midi features with Burn.

So, did anyone hear yet whether the new Ventilator ll has the "new improved" logarithm to minimise the pulsing beat, as per the mini Vent?

SSM

There is more than 1 type of beating.

There is the beating of out of tune harmonics in the old style Hammonds caused by sampled partials.

Then there is the beating between the different modulation frequencies of leslie tremolo and chorus vibrato.

Moe

---

I've played these things for quite a while and I am not totally what all constitutes a beating. When I run C3 through a Leslie on the fast gear especially with the short drawbars pulled all the way out I get pretty funky chopping sounds .... It can be cool in the right contexts.

There is a mod that bruce ashby wont do that would use the bypass switch for the brake. its really just moving a couple of wires. I only use my vent with organ and never bypass and almost went in there to mod myself but bought the neo footswitch instead.

Where can I find info on this mod?

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

I've played these things for quite a while and I am not totally what all constitutes a beating.
I thought HammondDave had a video that demonstrated beating that he was encountering in certain situations but I don't see it on his YouTube channel.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

FYI - I got a e-mail today from Guido.

He said the original Ventilator footswtich works with the Vent II.

This tells me the pinout switching from the 8 pin DIN Leslie socket on the XK3c to the footswitch jack on the Vent II should also remain the same.

Archived