Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEO VENTILATOR II

TKN

Thanks for the reply Craig. On the other hand you could say that I've saved myself $40. I'm happy with the sound of the Mini Vent out of the box, without any tweaks so maybe the extra features of the II would've been wasted on me. Also on the plus side I have the Mini Vent to use and enjoy now - who's to say when the II will actually be available to buy.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dang it. Do I get the Mini Vent which is nice and simple with the Ashby remote options .... Or do I get this new thing?
I'd say if these features are important to you:

* Built-in stop switch

* Separate speed controls for slow and fast

* Separate low and hi mic distances

* An output level control (I guess?)

* Two guitar modes instead of one

* Low Rotor/Horn balancing

Then I would say go for the Vent 2. The low rotor/upper horn balancing is a big deal for me personally.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Hey Craig! I will give you $250 for your old Vent!

I must agree with everyone's astonishment regarding the Vent II. I also expected a lot more from this new model, especially MIDI. If they had included just that, many former owners would have sold their old vents to upgrade to the new Vent II. Now there is no reason to do that. I feel that they have missed out on some upgrades from loyal Vent customers.

Plus, $500 is ridiculous.

Finally, I must agree with the aesthetic critics. The Burn is pretty ugly to look at.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The most important point here is has anyone HEARD one?

Who gives a FF whether it is smaller/larger/cheaper/blacker/greener, how does it SOUND compared to the internal sims and the original Vent?

I've struggled to find s problem with it, other than the price is way too high when you consider the Boss CE20 and RE20, which are more complex pedals are half the price.

I think we're all assuming that, like the mini-vent, it sounds the same. If there's something new they should be clear about that in their advertising... as it stands their description of the Ventilator II engine is exactly the same as the description of the original Ventilator that appears on their site. I agree that it's overpriced.. in actuality it's a 3 year old product that, at this point, they're simply repackaging and reselling. Given that fact and the competition, their price should be dropping.

I hesitate to mention this, because it will be perceived as just another shot at Neo Instruments, however, the last time a looked at their website, there was no mention of the mini-vent for keyboards (which contributed to my opinion that it was an afterthought) but there is also no mention of the Ventilator II there either, OR a rack mount version in the pipeline.. (that I can see) and it seems that all this information is coming from their Facebook site.. Using Facebook is NOT a great business strategy if you ask me.. (yes I know, no one is asking me).

I think that repackaging the same old product and maintaining a premium price is also a bad strategy.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

The most important point here is has anyone HEARD one?

Who gives a FF whether it is smaller/larger/cheaper/blacker/greener, how does it SOUND compared to the internal sims and the original Vent?

I've struggled to find s problem with it, other than the price is way too high when you consider the Boss CE20 and RE20, which are more complex pedals are half the price.

I'm assuming that it will sound the same as the mini vent for organ. Guido did say that he'd changed the algorithm from the original Vent. (Good job, or one forumite HammondDave????? Or Kas????? Was about to sign himself in to his local asylum, as he was hearing differences that no-one else was getting!!!)

I think the problem most of us have is one of expectation. We were EXPECTING an all-singing-all-dancing-new-thing, and we got mehh.

I agree that it is way overpriced, I have seen a figure of $500, whereas the Burn, with a LOT more functionality is $429.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I'm assuming that it will sound the same as the mini vent for organ. Guido did say that he'd changed the algorithm from the original Vent. (Good job, or one forumite HammondDave????? Was about to sign himself in to his local asylum, as he was hearing differences that no-one else was getting!!!)

I think the problem most of us have is one of expectation. We were EXPECTING an all-singing-all-dancing-new-thing, and we got mehh.

I agree that it is way overpriced, I have seen a figure of $500, whereas the Burn, with a LOT more functionality is $429.

SSM

Dude, I am already in the asylum...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thanks for the reply Craig. On the other hand you could say that I've saved myself $40. I'm happy with the sound of the Mini Vent out of the box, without any tweaks so maybe the extra features of the II would've been wasted on me. Also on the plus side I have the Mini Vent to use and enjoy now - who's to say when the II will actually be available to buy.

Bruce, just for the record, I think that the mini-vent is generally selling for $349 (not sure what you paid for it).. I still think this is high, but assuming that the street price for the Vent II is actually $499 you can differentiate that from the Vent II given the difference its features..

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Hey Craig! I will give you $250 for your old Vent!

I must agree with everyone's astonishment regarding the Vent II. I also expected a lot more from this new model, especially MIDI. If they had included just that, many former owners would have sold their old vents to upgrade to the new Vent II. Now there is no reason to do that. I feel that they have missed out on some upgrades from loyal Vent customers.

Plus, $500 is ridiculous.

Finally, I must agree with the aesthetic critics. The Burn is pretty ugly to look at.

Dave, I have to say that given all the Vent-lovers on this forum, I think that I should be asking the premium for mine.. $350.. but for you $375.. ;-)

Hey once again we're agreeing on something.. forumites pay attention.. when Dave and I agree that something sucks.. it SUCKS!!!

We disagree on esthetics.. I think the VentII is fugly as hell.

Craig MacDonald

Craig, I'll give you $251!!

I must say, I think that both the Vent & Vent ll look OK.

Neo Instruments site is crap - and that's being kind. If you need any info on the Vent(s) I can recommend Ashby Solutions site, they have loads of stuff there regarding Neo, and other manufacturers.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I should say that I'm a big fan of the Burn ..
Yes Craig, you said it 250 times in the Burn posting; please spare us another 250 times in this post .....

lol, where's the "like" button...

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Guido did say that he'd changed the algorithm from the original Vent. SSM

SSM, you're right Guido did update the Burn OS to fix a couple of the clone templates that were buggy, AND at the same time he provided a new algorithm called "rock 147". I think he heard that a lot of us VB3 users preferred it's rock147 leslie sim, and he decided to recreate this sim in the Burn. Interestingly enough, he made this the first preset, and it's a great sounding algorithm. For the record, I think most of the initial demos were done before this algorithm (which I think is the best one) was available.

Craig MacDonald

I should say that I'm a big fan of the Burn ..
Yes Craig, you said it 250 times in the Burn posting; please spare us another 250 times in this post .....

lol, where's the "like" button...

Hey DanL did you not see that I apologized for this.. was this really necessary..?

Craig MacDonald

I think that repackaging the same old product and maintaining a premium price is also a bad strategy.

It worked for Hammond when they replaced the B2 with the B3. Just adding that percussion thing....

EXACTLY MY POINT... THAT WAS INNOVATION!!!! Look at the difference it's made over the years!! Exactly what the Vent II is missing.

Craig MacDonald

We disagree on esthetics.. I think the VentII is fugly as hell.

And here is me thinking only Americans have bad taste....... ;):)

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

What innovation does it need? The only thing I would like to see is being able to plug an 11 pin into it so I can switch gears from the kick switch on my expression pedal but that probably won't be cheap.

I thought the Mini sounds good. I like the idea of no knob to get turned.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

CEB, if you're playing like-the-record covers, you probably want the Vent II -- the mic distance is a pretty nice option. I also wouldn't mind being able to change tremolo speed on the fly...my 760 is 'too fast' for one of the tunes in my current show and it annoys me. I doubt anybody else notices, though. :)

BTW the Vent II has a stereo input..and presumably a stereo bypass, which was an issue for some clonewheel players also doing piano from the same output.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

What innovation does it need? The only thing I would like to see is being able to plug an 11 pin into it so I can switch gears from the kick switch on my expression pedal but that probably won't be cheap.

I thought the Mini sounds good. I like the idea of no knob to get turned.

CEB, Neo Instruments are not obliged to do any further innovation.. but that's what many of us expected of them.. However, if they don't plan to innovate, they should price their product accordingly.

Craig MacDonald

Dang it. Do I get the Mini Vent which is nice and simple with the Ashby remote options .... Or do I get this new thing?
I'd say if these features are important to you:

* Built-in stop switch

* Separate speed controls for slow and fast

* Separate low and hi mic distances

* An output level control (I guess?)

* Two guitar modes instead of one

* Low Rotor/Horn balancing

Then I would say go for the Vent 2. The low rotor/upper horn balancing is a big deal for me personally.

Thanks for laying that out so fast like that. Seriously thanks a lot. My rig has to fit into an Chevy HHR now. I have to get a good sim.

Well AC, you keep on waiting.. good luck with that.. I have midi control and lots of DSP power in my less expensive Burn.

Congrats,- but also the BURN isn´t the right form factor for me.

Many of us thought that the Ventilator II would have some great new features.. but we're disappointed..

O.k., but that´s too early IMO.

You see a pic and read some functionality specs and be disappointed.

I think, it would be better waiting and test the unit to be disappointed or not.

hope you have better luck with the rack version.

If the Vent 2 is been well constructed, the rack version will be too.

I don´t expect it will be much different from the VENT 2 except MIDI control.

I´m also pretty sure they won´t make a dual-engine "double leslie" version, but I wished they did.

A.C.

CEB, if you're playing like-the-record covers, you probably want the Vent II -- the mic distance is a pretty nice option. I also wouldn't mind being able to change tremolo speed on the fly...my 760 is 'too fast' for one of the tunes in my current show and it annoys me. I doubt anybody else notices, though. :)

BTW the Vent II has a stereo input..and presumably a stereo bypass, which was an issue for some clonewheel players also doing piano from the same output.

It looks like unless a modern pop dance band that is calling comes in with a killer schedule and money I am going to be playing Santana tunes with an established 10 man band (counting horn section). It is going to be a little more travel than I wanted but it sounds like a lot of fun.

I really don't see the point of discontinuing the first model, if this is all that Neo Instruments are going to offer us.

It could be as simple as, they were running out of the first model, and he realized that, rather than make more of the same, he could make some tweaks and offer something a little better for the same money. And as someone mentioned, there is also the possibility of other "invisible" improvements on the component level, that wouldn't result in a change to the feature list, but might provide some other benefit. (It would be nice if it had quieter switches, as Craig mentioned, we'll see...)

Also, the people noting that it is an improvement for guitarists may be on to part of the strategy as well. There are a lot more guitarists than organists out there, and more rotary pedals aimed at them. It could simply be a bigger market that he felt he could better address as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

AC,

I fully understand that the rack version might be most suitable for your rig.. I also recognize that we're all making the assumption that the Vent II is basically the same engine.. perhaps not, perhaps it's dramatically improved (although I'm not sure how they could do that the Vent really is a great 122 simulation). I have no complaints with the build quality of the Vent/min-vent/Vent II.. all look very good to me.

Craig MacDonald

Are the knobs on the Vent always live? What I mean is if I mounted the Vent to my pedalboard will I have to tape the knobs down so my settings do not change or do have to do something extra to put the device into edit mode.

I get I should whatever I get but I need a way to control it. Which I why I was looking at the Mini Vent with the Ashby Remote mods. The Vent II I think is actually cheaper than the Mini Vent after Ashby gets done doing it's thing.

Are the knobs on the Vent always live
Yes

What I mean is if I mounted the Vent to my pedalboard will I have to tape the knobs down so my settings do not change or do have to do something extra to put the device into edit mode.
The knobs are recessed so that they aren't accidentally hit with your foot and move them. They have enough resistance so that they don't move.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Are the knobs on the Vent always live? What I mean is if I mounted the Vent to my pedalboard will I have to tape the knobs down so my settings do not change or do have to do something extra to put the device into edit mode.

I get I should whatever I get but I need a way to control it. Which I why I was looking at the Mini Vent with the Ashby Remote mods. The Vent II I think is actually cheaper than the Mini Vent after Ashby gets done doing it's thing.

CEB,

Last question first.. I think that the mini-vent for keys is generally selling for $349, and the Ashby Solutions remote pedal mod is $70.. (by the way Bruce Ashby is a great guy!) So the total cost is about $420.. and you're saving almost $80.. If you don't need the extra features of the Vent II, then you have an opportunity to save some money.

Your question about the knobs on the Vent being live.. YES the original vent is effectively always in edit mode, and the knobs are live, but because they are recessed they don't change values on their own and you can't really kick them and change them (unless you're purposely doing so of course).. so you really have nothing to worry about with the Vent.

I hope I understood your question correctly.

Edit: correction, just checked ashby solutions website and the remote is $60 if purchased with a $349 mini-vent for keys.. so total $409.

Craig MacDonald

I'm glad I have the original, it's good enough and paid for. I think I'll touch Ashby, as I think there may be some simple upgrades available. I think it can be improved by having the speakers stop facing the front. But that's about it for me, perhaps the stereo would be nice but I don't play stereo now.

Carry On gents,

Musicale

Thanks!

PS - People see my guitar pedalboard sometimes and think I'm trying to hide my settings and keep them a secret. No I just don't want the knobs to move on the dirt boxes, chorus and tremolo pedals.

Guido did say that he'd changed the algorithm from the original Vent. SSM

SSM, you're right Guido did update the Burn OS to fix a couple of the clone templates that were buggy, AND at the same time he provided a new algorithm called "rock 147". I think he heard that a lot of us VB3 users preferred it's rock147 leslie sim, and he decided to recreate this sim in the Burn. Interestingly enough, he made this the first preset, and it's a great sounding algorithm. For the record, I think most of the initial demos were done before this algorithm (which I think is the best one) was available.

Craig, we're talking at cross purposes here. I was referring to Guido from Neo Instruments, he altered the algorithm in the Vent for organ from what it had been in the original Vent. There are obviously too many Guido's about!

SSM

Archived