Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_20221021_182443992_HDR.thumb.jpg.eb7024ef20dfa879b39a2ee44b928385.jpg

• Like 2

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Nope, I ride a bicycle, actually!

That album sounds spectacular on vinyl.  And yes, it's one of his best.  I also really like the first PMG, Offramp, and Still Life (Talking).

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Sorry to be so late to this… have you heard “Live at Ronnie Scott’s”? It’s a compendium of all his best work, with a stellar band. Highly recommended.

On 9/30/2022 at 11:11 PM, bill5 said:

I'm revisiting Jeff Beck's "There and Back." AFAIK his last great - hell his last even worthwhile - album. Well even the greats can't do it forever. 

• Like 2

I thought Guitar Shop was "OK"... that was the last new one that I enjoyed.

3 hours ago, bill5 said:

I think so but will check thanks...although really I was thinking new studio material. He has some newer albums, but the last one I listened to (forget which offhand) was mostly terrible. 

Nice! The last time I saw him was a double bill with Eric Clapton at MSG in 2010. He was good (much better than Clapton's set - no surprise)... but that's not the size/type of venue I want to see him in at this point.

On 10/22/2022 at 10:36 AM, Grave Bryce said:

I’m seeing Mr. Beck live next Saturday evening.  :boing:

dB

I saw his 50th anniversary extravaganza at the Bowl a few years back.  KILLER show - Jan Hammer came out and played a few tunes with the band.  Buddy Guy was the opening act.

This upcoming show will be a bit more intimate.  He’ll be playing at a medium-sized performing arts center in the town where I live (Thousand Oaks). :2thu:

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

12 hours ago, Grave Bryce said:

I saw his 50th anniversary extravaganza at the Bowl a few years back.  KILLER show - Jan Hammer came out and played a few tunes with the band.  Buddy Guy was the opening act.

Oh man. So jealous. 

I heard a critic basically say once when Beck is at his best, there's none better. But when he stinks - WOW he stinks lol. And I agree ("Flash" need I say more) 

PS big Beato fan :)  

8 hours ago, Docbop said:

Jeff Beck   Still the greatest Rock guitarist ever!!!!!

He´s my favourite, I get goosebumps when he´s playing.

Humble guy w/o airs and graces playing a brilliant guitar and for me he´s the one and only out of these many "famous" 60ties beat- and rock guitarists who really developed by diving into different styles of music and finding his individual playing techniques and tone.

His tone and phrasing is so unique, absolutely amazing and also inspiring for me as a keyboardplayer when it comes to synth leads.

:)

A.C.

Couple things I've been digging on today. First hearing of this album, John Zorn's Incerto:

image.png.47d81d42022d9fc3318eeee920d564a8.png

Zorn's Suite for Piano album from earlier this year featured the trio of Brian Marsella (piano), Jorge Roeder (bass) and Ches Smith (drums), and is one of my favorite recent jazz piano trio albums. Marsella is simply amazing, very articulate and creative player with a huge vocabulary. This album adds Julian Lage on guitar, and is very nice, one of Zorn's least "out" albums. Highly recommended on first listen.

Just found out about the existence of this album yesterday, and it's blowing my mind:

Recorded before he joined Tower of Power, this album is in a Larry Young mode, and is just fantastic. Chester's playing is great, some of his solos here are just awe-inspiring. At 4 tracks/27 minutes it's way too short. I kind of can't believe I'd never heard this album before yesterday. Have the deluxe vinyl re-issue on order.

• Like 3

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow