Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really nice acoustics for this performance.   Compare against mouse noodlers.

May never see the likes of these two's talent + innovation on these instruments for quite some time.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 10/25/2022 at 3:16 AM, NewImprov said:

Couple things I've been digging on today. First hearing of this album, John Zorn's Incerto:

image.png.47d81d42022d9fc3318eeee920d564a8.png

Zorn's Suite for Piano album from earlier this year featured the trio of Brian Marsella (piano), Jorge Roeder (bass) and Ches Smith (drums), and is one of my favorite recent jazz piano trio albums. Marsella is simply amazing, very articulate and creative player with a huge vocabulary. This album adds Julian Lage on guitar, and is very nice, one of Zorn's least "out" albums. Highly recommended on first listen.

Just found out about the existence of this album yesterday, and it's blowing my mind:

Recorded before he joined Tower of Power, this album is in a Larry Young mode, and is just fantastic. Chester's playing is great, some of his solos here are just awe-inspiring. At 4 tracks/27 minutes it's way too short. I kind of can't believe I'd never heard this album before yesterday. Have the deluxe vinyl re-issue on order.

I love Zorn and have bought many Tzadik albums over my "cd years". But the fact that he keeps most of his music out of Spotify, makes it unfortunately less and less accessible.

• Like 1
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

On 11/5/2022 at 2:09 AM, yannis D said:

I love Zorn and have bought many Tzadik albums over my "cd years". But the fact that he keeps most of his music out of Spotify, makes it unfortunately less and less accessible.

Yeah., I totally get it, he doesn't do any streaming services, you can't get his stuff as a digital download, he provides no copies to press or radio, does nothing to promote the albums, he makes it a challenge to keep track of his output. Yet he still manages to put out 10 or more albums of his own material a year, and a load of other stuff on Tzadik. I know the Macarthur Foundation grant he got allowed him to establish Tzadik, and I can't imagine he'd keep up such a rigorous schedule for literally the last 2 decades if the economics didn't work. I can only keep up because I still work at a record store, and I just have an open order to get everything he puts out.

Just last week at the store, I was playing Multiplicities, his recent album with Brian Marsella, John Medeski, Matt Hollenberg and Kenny Grohowski, and a customer dug it., asked what was playing, and ended up buying 4 of his albums, having never heard or heard of Zorn before. Moments like that are really gratifying,

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I go to a local university to listen to gifted students when they present to the public, piano students who made the honors and take part in that recital. 

Interesting to see who is playing their asses off, and you can also be made aware of pieces you may never have heard.

All for the price of nothing but clapping. Don't overlook these.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, re Pete said:

I go to a local university to listen to gifted students when they present to the public

I have long maintained that about oh 99% of all of the best performances ever are only heard by a small group of people...local groups in bars or outdoor festivals or whatever. Oh sure many are not so great, but that % is due to sheer numbers if nothing else. I have heard some amazing performances that rival the best I have ever heard by big name people, yet they never "made it big," nobody beyond their local area will likely ever know their name, etc.

Think a big part of why I was in the music biz no matter what gig it was because I could hear stories like James Poyser is telling about the making of Chicken Grease.   This was also the birth of the Soulquarians doing these sessions for D'Angelo's Voodoo,  Erykah Badu Mama's Gun,  The Roots Things Fall Apart, and Common Water For Chocolate all at the same time and everyone playing on each others albums. 

I can't get enough of this - the Cinema version of Yes's It Can Happen, from the deluxe edition of 90125. Jon Anderson is notably absent. Chris Squire handles the vocals, and it really drives home for me what a huge part of Yes's sound Squire's voice was. I also love the detuned synth parts.

• Like 4