Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Redknife said:

Louis Cole is really interesting his work on his own and with Knower.   I like with Louis and his Knower partner Genevieve Artadi  they were even featured in one of Snarky Puppy's video.    That last bit they sliced in from a live show with a full horn section and dancers.    

• Like 1

Found this live album by The Funky Meters on Spotify. Seems it just went up today.  I don’t think it’s a particularly well known one (this video was uploaded yesterday and has zero views). Not the greatest recording, but it’s making me feel like I’m actually there at The Showboat Lounge in ‘77.  Must have been a fun gig, seeing as this version of ain’t no use is 24 mins long. Some cracking off-key audience microphone stealing moments too. Glad to know that practice hasn’t changed in almost 50 years.

Art Neville giving a masterclass in funk as always. Rhodes, organ and clav featured heavily here. I think this would have been my dream band to be in…if I had the groove!

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

On 12/21/2022 at 9:35 AM, 16251 said:

Billy Cobham/George Duke. I never saw this before; thanks YT algorithm. I saw same group in Boston, also 1976, at Symphony Hall.  I can easily tribute each musician but y'all know about them.  BTW - at 32:00 George killing Rhodes solo and if you continue he plays solo and goes into Zappa-inspired, so great.

I never noticed before how much young John Scofield looks like Basil Fawlty. Sorry John!

One of my favorite groups of the fusion era. 

Steve Lukather's first and eponymous solo release from 1989, what a great classic 80s rock album:

Very similar to Toto's 1992 release Kingdom of Desire with some more 80s flavors in the keys and guitars department, and it features so many cool people as guests.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

On 1/9/2023 at 12:22 AM, Docbop said:

Keyon Harrold is one of the rising stars in the trumpet world and part the HipHop Jazz scene.  

Been exploring and enjoying Keyon Harold since this post above by Docbop. Here’s a cool one I listened to today:

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

I'm gonna have fun listening to all this stuff!

Right now I'm compiling a Spotify organ playlist: Shirley Scott, Don Patterson, Groove Holmes, Jimmy Smith, Pat Bianchi, Brian Charette, Joey DeFrancesco, Dr. Lonnie Smith, Melvin Rhyne, Charles Earland, Reuben Wilson... I can't pretend to even approximate what any of them do, but I'm having a lot of fun getting ideas!