Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2012-2013 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, the only real issue I had with his speech was the "Outside ACL" bit. You don't aim for anyone's knees, period.
I don't know, the part about putting Gore's head on sideways? The part that implies trying to cause a guy coming off a concussion another concussion? That's even worse IMO, particularly given all the recent evidence about how concussions are causing NFL players early dementia - if they're lucky....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Yeah, the only real issue I had with his speech was the "Outside ACL" bit. You don't aim for anyone's knees, period.
I don't know, the part about putting Gore's head on sideways? The part that implies trying to cause a guy coming off a concussion another concussion? That's even worse IMO, particularly given all the recent evidence about how concussions are causing NFL players early dementia - if they're lucky....

The concussion thing - sketchy. The head on sideways? I've heard HS coaches say shit like that. Gore's a downhill runner, you want him "running sideways".

Just because it's common doesn't make it right. The long term health and mental and physical well being of people is being treated flippantly at best. I don't mind the notion of giving a guy a hit he'll remember, but giving him a hit he can't, particularly on purpose, and certainly under orders ain't kosher. Coaching that kind of hit isn't coaching, it's premeditated assault, and it has no place in the modern game at any level.

Just because it's common doesn't make it right. The long term health and mental and physical well being of people is being treated flippantly at best. I don't mind the notion of giving a guy a hit he'll remember, but giving him a hit he can't, particularly on purpose, and certainly under orders ain't kosher. Coaching that kind of hit isn't coaching, it's premeditated assault, and it has no place in the modern game at any level.

So... the metaphorical "take his f***ing head off" now is verboten because it can no longer be taken metaphorically? What about "kill them!" or "kick their asses!" - someone might think Coach wants him to plant a boot in someone's keister - can't have that! :rolleyes:

Damning audio has been released of Gregg Williams:

Williams' speech to Saints: Hurt the 49ers

Best,

Geoff

I just listened to the speech. Makes Williams sound like a Mafia boss giving orders to his hitmen.

I'm guessing he ends up coaching at a high school in some rural area - if he's coaching football at all. I'd be shocked if he got another job at the NFL or college level.

Finally a football player on TV addressing this speech that is giving a realistic view on this and not acting like this is the Hindenburg disaster. In high school you are taught ear hole shots and ... how to watch for them and protect yourself and your teammates. Everyone studies the opponents injury report history. Not all coaches sit in the locker room and sing Kumbaya to their linebackers like Rex Ryan does.

The problem is Gregg Williams is already under the microscope for Bountygate and the release of this audio is the LAST thing he needed. He's already being punished by suspension from the NFL for an indefinite period.

That's why people are saying this guy is done coaching at the NFL level - this audio recording is the nail in the coffin of his NFL career. It doesn't matter if other NFL defensive coaches are doing the same stuff in their locker rooms - this goes back to the speeding ticket analogy:

"But officer, others were speeding!"

"Doens't matter - I caught YOU!'

So... the metaphorical "take his f***ing head off" now is verboten because it can no longer be taken metaphorically? What about "kill them!" or "kick their asses!" - someone might think Coach wants him to plant a boot in someone's keister - can't have that! :rolleyes:

Williams didn't mean ANY of that metaphorically. It' one thing to use a figure of speech. It's another thing to show a pattern of practice that you mean the figure of speech literally. I'd wager all of us have, at one time or another, said "I'm gonna kill him" but I'm pretty sure none of us have ever followed through, or paid others to follow through for us.... ;)

Part of me thinks that these guys are being paid ridiculous amounts of money and these types of things are what they signed up for as professional football players. Professional boxers, for instance, know going in that, even under the best of circumstances, there's a pretty high chance their brains are going to be scrambled eggs by the time they're done. You can only take so many blows to the head. And that's a sport where taking advantage of weaknesses and injuries is encouraged. If a guy is dazed and probably concussed, you don't pull your punches for fear of hurting him, you knock that bastard out by targeting his head. It's the consequence of the lifestyle you choose. Football is really no different, but we pretend it is for whatever reason. If you don't want that, go to college for something other than foosball and get a "normal" job, or play another sport.

Only part of me thinks that way though. It's a matter of good sportsmanship more than anything.

Williams didn't mean ANY of that metaphorically. It' one thing to use a figure of speech. It's another thing to show a pattern of practice that you mean the figure of speech literally. I'd wager all of us have, at one time or another, said "I'm gonna kill him" but I'm pretty sure none of us have ever followed through, or paid others to follow through for us.... ;)

Williams meant exactly what he said. Just like other coaches I know meant what they said. There are days I'm glad my boy has decided to not play Division II college ball and focus on academics. It may cost me financially but he never was going to play NFL. He isn't big enough to play line in the NFL and he isn't quick enough to play linebacker. Between the busted right hand, the MCL injury, the high ankle sprains and everything else that got hurt he is going to be hurting enough around the time he hits 40. He just thinks he is healed up.

This has NEVER been a nice game.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

No doubt. But you have to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise, the war zone metaphors applied to sports won't be just metaphors anymore.

Besides, the NFL has already drawn the line; and Williams ignored it. He knew what he was doing and now he's paying the price.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Williams was wrong for putting an incentive on purposefully injuring players and he is being punished accordingly. He may never coach at any level.

But, if someone compiled audio from the past 50 years of pro football, we would hear a LOT of similar sh8t. I'm sure NFL Films has plenty of incriminating evidence. ;)

I have no desire to see athletes carted off the field with life-altering injuries or worse. OTOH, pro athletes know what they are getting into every time they step onto the playing field.

Again, I would hate for this "bountygate" thing to be blown so far out of proportion that rules are changed and a few years from now we are watching the equivalent of a Pro Bowl game on Sundays. :rolleyes:

IMO, our media does whatever it takes to sell a story. We have to remain open-minded and capable of reading between the lines. Don't fall for the hype. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

There is a clinical relish to the way Williams delivered the directives that is not going to help his case.

To me it is completely unsurprising. I had already kind of imagined it going down that way when the story broke, but hearing the reality of it is going to rattle people for sure.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• 2 weeks later...

Raiders 2012:

San Diego

@Miami

Pittsburgh

@Denver

BYE WEEK

@Atlanta

Jacksonville

@Kansas City

Tampa Bay

@Baltimore

New Orleans

@Cincinnati

Cleveland

Denver

Kansas City

@Carolina

@San Diego

16-0, baby! Er... 8-8? 10-6? I really have no idea. I have even less an idea than usual, having no idea how Manning will be in our two games against Denver.

16-0, baby! Er... 8-8? 10-6?

If we're lucky. :rolleyes:

Did you see how many players left during the free agency shuffle? Michael Bush, Chaz Schilens, Samson Satele, Kevin Boss, Kameron Wimbley, Rock Cartwright, Trevor Scott...and pretty much next to nobody got picked up....and they have, like, no draft picks....

:idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Yep. We have Michael Bush we needed a second back. If management don't quit PO'ing Forte Bush may be the only back.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Schaub says hell be ready for start of training camp

The Texans reported for the first day of their voluntary offseason conditioning program on Monday, and quarterback Matt Schaub let everyone know he expects to be ready for the start of training camp.

Last week, Schaub returned to Charlotte, N.C., for a customary follow-up procedure to have screws removed from his surgically repaired foot that caused him to miss the last six regular-season games and two playoff games.

All I know is come time for training camp, Im going to be 100 percent ready to go, and thats all that really matters in my mind, he said. Let the incisions heal up and move forward and keep going.

Im right on schedule. I have a lot of time left to get ready, and theres no doubt I will be ready.

:thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

What a great Thanksgiving Day:

Houston Texans @ Detroit

Redskins @ Cowboys

Patriots @ Jets

:snax:

Plenty of good prime time games all year too. They did good. Killer schedule for the Giants though, but it should be expected for SB Champs.

The Texans should finish strong because they play Indianapolis in two of their last three games, with a home game against Minnesota sandwiched between the games against the Colts.

:laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sweet. I just got my Dad, who turned 80, this Giants 10 Greatest Games.

All original broadcasts minus the commercials and halftime stuff. We watched the 86' playoff game against the 49ers. Great stuff. Madden and Summerall in the early days. Joe Morris, Mark Bavaro, Simms, LT etc.. Someone needs to get this collection for Magpel! I'm sure NFL films has, or will be, releasing similar sets for other teams. It's great nostalgia. :thu:

The Texans should finish strong because they play Indianapolis in two of their last three games, with a home game against Minnesota sandwiched between the games against the Colts.

:laugh:

No way, dude. Luck is gonna light up the league just like Manning did in his rook... uh... no wait... never mind... :freak:

Archived