Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2012-2013 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Payton and Williams both got what they deserved for lying to the league about their program and running it anyway.

2) Two 2nd rounders for this? Really? The Pats lost a 1st because someone was filming from the sidelines instead of the OC booth, and the Saints only lose two 2nds for running a bounty program that included "cart-off" bonuses? Really? Really?!?! If I were Goodell, the Saints wouldn't be drafting at all this year.

I feel the same about the draft punishment in this case as I did after Spygate. It makes no sense to punish future versions of the team that will contain some players who weren't involved in the infraction to begin with, so I don't feel that either team should have lost draft picks.

Just as I thought that the NFL should have forced a forfeit on the Patriots for the game they were caught taping, I think the NFL should have forced a forfeit on the Saints for both the NFC championship and their Super Bowl victory. Give those titles to the Vikings and Colts and take them away from the thugs.

I really hate to take that position because I know how important that Super Bowl win was to post-Katrina New Orleans; but I think forfeiting the titles would not only have been fair, it would also have been the best way to insure that this would never happen again.

And Gregg Williams should have been banned for life from the NFL. Maybe an indefinite suspension will produce the same result, but it makes a weaker statement.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I know a lot of sports loathe to take away wins, especially "after the fans have gone home, thinking they knew who the winner was." There really is no good way to handle a bad situation, especially one like this. It would be kind of weird to take away the wins they had that year since they did go all the way.

Williams shouldn't be allowed near any sideline again, ever. Even if he's a changed man and one could prove that with some high tech, futuristic science, it's not like he needs football and the sport needs him. Tough luck, move on, go away.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

1) Payton and Williams both got what they deserved for lying to the league about their program and running it anyway.

2) Two 2nd rounders for this? Really? The Pats lost a 1st because someone was filming from the sidelines instead of the OC booth, and the Saints only lose two 2nds for running a bounty program that included "cart-off" bonuses? Really? Really?!?! If I were Goodell, the Saints wouldn't be drafting at all this year.

I feel the same about the draft punishment in this case as I did after Spygate. It makes no sense to punish future versions of the team that will contain some players who weren't involved in the infraction to begin with, so I don't feel that either team should have lost draft picks.

Best,

Geoff

I agree with this, though Im thinking its one way Goodell can punish the franchise, making it harder for them to be as competitive in the future. Whether it is really needed here is debatable.

The punishment to Sean Peyton is dead on IMO. Kudos to the Commissioner there. Its not farfetched to believe one day someone is going get killed out on the field. If they pinned that to a bounty program, it would be murder. This could be spinned a thousand ways, but its in everyones best interest, from owner, player, and fans, that Goodell came down hard on these guys.

I dont know if a lifetime ban is appropriate for Williams. Id like to think he could somehow redeem himself.

College football regularly takes away wins and forfeits titles, but it doesnt seem to have a deterrent effect on cheaters. suspensions, fines, loss of draft picks seems better - and allow new innocent players out of their contracts if their new teams are punished hard...

we still have to see how the players (Vilma, Fujita et al) are punished...NO might not have a defence for the first 6 games...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Peyton Manning better not get hurt. Broncos are looking at Caleb Hanie as a backup QB. That won't work so good if he actually has to play a lot of minutes.

Hanie plays similar to Painter so that is par for the course when it comes to a Manning back-up QB. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My take on the Payton/Saints thing: A bounty program with "cart-off" bonuses? That's absolutely reprehensible. Losing two 2nd-rounders is arguably more severe than losing a single 1st rounder like what happened to the Patriots, but the "crime" at hand is so not-even-in-the-same-ballpark that I agree it's not enough. Straight up, Payton should be banned from the game. Period. Pete Rose was banned from baseball for gambling, and I would argue that this bounty program bullshit is 10 times worse for the game.

My take on the Payton/Saints thing: A bounty program with "cart-off" bonuses? That's absolutely reprehensible. Losing two 2nd-rounders is arguably more severe than losing a single 1st rounder like what happened to the Patriots, but the "crime" at hand is so not-even-in-the-same-ballpark that I agree it's not enough. Straight up, Payton should be banned from the game. Period. Pete Rose was banned from baseball for gambling, and I would argue that this bounty program bullshit is 10 times worse for the game.
The Saints have no first rounder this year, which is at least why this year is a 2nd rounder.

The Senate appears to be looking into this too, possibly even putting forth legislation to expand this type of activity to a federal crime, albeit not a hugely serious one. Honestly, I can't say I'd be opposed to it. If this was 'real life' you'd be in jail in a heart beat for taking payment to intentionally harm another.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

by Kanker:

If this was 'real life' you'd be in jail in a heart beat for taking payment to intentionally harm another.

Good point. This topic was being discussed on ESPN radio this morning. They made a comparison with boxing, where two fighters slug it out until someone is knocked down enough times, someone is knocked out, the fight is stopped, or one fighter's corner throws in the towel.

But the difference is exactly what you pointed out Kevin, intentionally harming someone or even the intention of having someone harmed and then enlisting someone to do it just isn't assault or assault and battery, its also conspiracy to commit a Misdemeanor. In most states, that's a Felony.

I don't like the Fed putting their fingers in this, they should be busy doinig other things. The NFL has handled it with harsh penalties. Patton is losing over 6 million dollars wth his one-year Suspension.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I don't like the Fed putting their fingers in this, they should be busy doinig other things. The NFL has handled with with harsh penalties. Patton is losing over 6 million dollars wth his one-year Suspension.
I don't mind that the Fed gets involved once in a while in major league sports to remind the sports involved that it really is a 'there by the grace of the Fed' are they allowed to operate multi-billion dollar monopolies. Much like the steroids thing, even if there really isn't any major federal action, just the 'Hey, we need to talk about this' thing that needs to take place from time to time between the Fed and different major league sports.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Well yeah, a "multi-billion dollar monopoly". Another good point Kevin. Some days you hit the mark!

The "We need to talk" thing is fine. The "We need to tax you more" is not.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Slightly off-topic, but not completely:

NFL, team owners also excited over Dodgers $2B price tag

Most of the excitement is that this in effect raises the value of all sports franchises. But also, this makes the NFL look at the LA market even more seriously. If the Dodgers can command $2 billion--a record for any sports franchise--what could an NFL team draw in the LA market?

More here:

Dodgers sold to Magic Johnson group for a record $2 billion

Best,

Geoff

It's still really surprising to me that LA has gone this long without a football team. We're talking about the west coast's largest metropolitan area, and the second largest in the country behind New York. They've got two pro baseball teams, two pro basketball teams, and two pro hockey teams, all of which are profitable and doing just fine. If you can't make a football team thrive in that locale, you're doing it wrong.

LA is and always was a basketball town first. That's why neither the Raiders nor the Rams did particularly well there. Maybe it'd be different this time around, but I doubt it.

Sorry, but I disagree with all of this. My recollection is that the Dodgers were the toast of the town back in the Koufax / Drysdale era. Next in line would have been the Rams and their Fearsome Foursome, and the Lakers would have been third. The Dodgers might have fallen behind the Rams in popularity during the seventies, but I don't recall the Lakers dominating the scene before the Magic / Bird rivalry. Mind you, I'm not saying they weren't popular with Wilt Chamberlain and then Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, just that they didn't eclipse the local NFL and MLB franchises during that era.

The Rams were a big deal in LA before Georgia Frontiere inherited the team. As for what happened after that, this sums it up for me:

If you can't make a football team thrive in that locale, you're doing it wrong.

The Raiders--on the other hand--remain popular in Los Angeles to this day. I guess that even though they had Al Davis as an owner, he still knew how to run a franchise a lot better than Frontiere did.

Best,

Geoff

Possibly the only thing stopping the NFL from moving back into LA currently is that they need a team to relocate. In the league's current state, with its very symmetrical 4-team divisions, it may be reluctant to add a new expansion team that would throw off the balance. Perhaps the problem is that, right now, there don't seem to be any teams that are doing particularly bad business-wise and are in obvious need of relocating. The worst-attended team in the league is the Bengals, and even they are averaging around 75% of capacity for ticket sales, which is damn good for "last place" (there are at least a couple pro baseball teams averaging under 50%).

On the other hand, the NFL is a business like any other, and I'm sure the Los Angeles market is one they want to be a part of. I mean, they'd be stupid not to. I can't imagine imagine it will be much longer before there's an LA team again.

Looks like his career is over... another article quoted Carlos Rogers as confirming G.W. used bounties in Washington.

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Damning audio has been released of Gregg Williams:

Williams' speech to Saints: Hurt the 49ers

Best,

Geoff

I just listened to the speech. Makes Williams sound like a Mafia boss giving orders to his hitmen.

I'm guessing he ends up coaching at a high school in some rural area - if he's coaching football at all. I'd be shocked if he got another job at the NFL or college level.

LA is and always was a basketball town first. That's why neither the Raiders nor the Rams did particularly well there. Maybe it'd be different this time around, but I doubt it.

Sorry, but I disagree with all of this. My recollection is that the Dodgers were the toast of the town back in the Koufax / Drysdale era. Next in line would have been the Rams and their Fearsome Foursome, and the Lakers would have been third. The Dodgers might have fallen behind the Rams in popularity during the seventies, but I don't recall the Lakers dominating the scene before the Magic / Bird rivalry. Mind you, I'm not saying they weren't popular with Wilt Chamberlain and then Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, just that they didn't eclipse the local NFL and MLB franchises during that era.

The Rams were a big deal in LA before Georgia Frontiere inherited the team. As for what happened after that, this sums it up for me:

If you can't make a football team thrive in that locale, you're doing it wrong.

The Raiders--on the other hand--remain popular in Los Angeles to this day. I guess that even though they had Al Davis as an owner, he still knew how to run a franchise a lot better than Frontiere did.

Best,

Geoff

Al Davis was the pioneer taught everyone how you run a football franchise. He was the prototype of the modern owner. Just as Paul Brown taught coaches how you coach a NFL team.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Damning audio has been released of Gregg Williams:

Williams' speech to Saints: Hurt the 49ers

Best,

Geoff

I just listened to the speech. Makes Williams sound like a Mafia boss giving orders to his hitmen.

I'm guessing he ends up coaching at a high school in some rural area - if he's coaching football at all. I'd be shocked if he got another job at the NFL or college level.

Finally a football player on TV addressing this speech that is giving a realistic view on this and not acting like this is the Hindenburg disaster. In high school you are taught ear hole shots and ... how to watch for them and protect yourself and your teammates. Everyone studies the opponents injury report history. Not all coaches sit in the locker room and sing Kumbaya to their linebackers like Rex Ryan does.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived