Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2012-2013 Thread

Geoff Grace

Almost a week has passed since Super Bowl XLVI, and it's time to start a new NFL football thread.

As we begin the journey from the last season to the next, here are today's transition stories:

What will Manning choose?

Report: Steelers won't keep Hines Ward

Bucs hire ex-Giants QB coach Mike Sullivan as OC

Replacements for 10 aging stars

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hines Ward will be 36 in March. That's ancient for a wide receiver. From what I've read, the young receivers want Ward back, if not for his play on the field, his leadership. This is the most difficult thing about the salary cap and the number of players that can be on a team roster. Teams can't pay or keep players out of loyalty.

The changing of the guard continues.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Some media dude was posting some really alarmist news about Peyton--"his throws have no zip!" I think they used the word "tragic" even. Well he has still got a few months to find his zip, but I don't think we'll see a signing of any kind until a team can accurately gauge what they're likely to have in September. Nerve regeneration--tough thing to bank on. But the brain is the big nerve bundle and you know what you're getting there.

It remains the big story.

In NYG land, insiders say that the big three we're going to have to say, "I love you goodbye" to will be Osi, Brandon Jacobs, and Manningham, who have five rings between them, and Osi really might have been a candidate for MVP of SB 42.

I could almost see Osi and Brandon staying for less (they've already had big pay days), but not Mario. He's going to go get his paycheck and take his shot at being a #1 or a #2 somewhere.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Well, it looks like we won't have Ron Jaworski on MNF this upcoming season:

Jaws out of MNF

IMO, it was a crowded booth but Jaws brought more substance than Gruden and Tirico. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Ugh. I can only hope that with it being a two-man show, it'll give each guy a bit more space to be more substantive.

Jaws and Gruden didn't work for me. They sounded alike and neither said much of use. Jaws and Tirico would probably have been a better two-man combo.

Personally, I don't understand all the love for Gruden, much less as a coach. Yeah, he has a ring, but what else?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

IMO, it seems like the booth duo of a football analyst and a journalistic type with knowledge of the game work best for commentating football games. Collinsworth and Michaels work well together.

Otherwise, I'm hoping MNF doesn't get to the point where I have to watch games with the sound turned off or change the language setting. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

IMO, it seems like the booth duo of a football analyst and a journalistic type with knowledge of the game work best for commentating football games. Collinsworth and Michaels work well together.
While I do think they work well together, I've never been a huge fan of Collinsworth in the booth and I find his analyses weird sometimes, at least the way he describes them. Still, the two of them are tolerable, IMSNHO.

Otherwise, I'm hoping MNF doesn't get to the point where I have to watch games with the sound turned off or change the language setting. :laugh::cool:
Or find a radio broadcast or something.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've never been a huge fan of Collinsworth in the booth and I find his analyses weird sometimes, at least the way he describes them.

His commentary really gets weird on Madden 12. :laugh::cool:

PD

• 2 weeks later...

Texans QB Schaub expects to return from injury in better condition

Schaub is putting in three to four hours every morning, five days a week, and believes hell come up out of the ordeal a better-conditioned athlete, certainly as far as his lower body is concerned. Having overcome the significant muscle atrophy that set in during the month and a half he spent coddling the foot, hes already to the point where he can say, Both my legs will definitely be stronger next season than they have ever been."

and a scary aside:

The operation and the joint where the damage occurred is named for a French doctor, Jacques Lisfranc de St. Martin. Lisfranc served under Napoleon, then went on to become the worlds leading surgeon of his day. Aspiring American doctors of the mid-19th century routinely sailed to Paris to study under Lisfranc at the famed Pitié Hospital despite his, by all accounts, arrogant, disagreeable personality.

Pre-football dangers

Lisfranc was among the first to understand the intricate anatomy of the foot. The injury Schaub suffered was common among cavalrymen who either fell off their horses and got tangled in the stirrup or landed awkwardly.

If Schaub is looking for blessings in disguise, he also can be eternally grateful for the advances in medicine. Lisfranc, who wielded his scalpel enthusiastically, is said to have relished sawing off damaged limbs. And he was operating long before anesthesia was available.

:o

This may be one of the most disappointing things I've ever read in pro sports.

NFL says Saints created 'bounty' program from 2009-2011

:(

I remember first hearing about 'bounties" when Buddy Ryan was coaching the Eagles. I'm sure it was around before that. It's a violent sport. Some stuff goes below the radar. That said, Williams is an idiot. With the current climate, you just don't condone that crap. Sorry for the Saints, but you're going to get penalized, just as you should.

The NFL and media are going to crucify the Saints over this. I agree there should be penalties, but some of the hits were absolutely legal and while injury shouldn't be celebrated, the defense does have a job to do.

Was it wrong? Absolutely. Is it going to be blown out of proportion by the media? Absolutely.

I'm still a Saints fan, and I hope they can overcome whatever penalties are imposed and have a great season next year.

How the league handles this will be interesting. Williams should face a lifetime ban IMO. Payton should probably be dealt with almost as severely. That's some real bush league shit.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I tend to agree with you, Kevin. It seems like there's indications* that Williams has been doing this for a while.

* I realize you can't base your punishment on things without definitive proof. But, you probably have enough based on what he did with the Saints.

I'm sure you shook your head as much as I did when you realized what coach Williams left the Saints to work for. :facepalm:

Williams apparently meeting with NFL officials Monday

This is looking worse for Williams, with bounties apparently being an integral part of the way he motivates players. If it's true, a lifetime ban is the only reasonable outcome.

Dungy has said in the past that he believes Peyton's neck injury was sustained in a game back in 2006 against the Redskins. Williams was the defensive coordinator. Can one say with certainty it was a bounty situation? No, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. Before the Saints/Colts Super Bowl, Williams did an interview with a Nashville radio station where he said he wanted his players to knock Peyton out of the game. He needs to be gone.

Clayton nails it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7639644/nfl-saints-bounty-story-worse-spygate

Absolutely. Patriot haters aside (you know who you are), Belichick's assistants videotaping on the sidelines never cost anyone time on the field.

If the Saints don't lose at least 3 picks (since they already traded away their 1st rounder) including next year's first, and Greg doesn't get a year's vacation or more, Goodell fails.

Lot of ESPN analysts talking about Goodell's golden opportunity to permanently eliminate this kind of behavior from the game by bringing the hammer down hard on anyone and everyone involved - the Saints front office, Williams, and any current New Orleans players that can be conclusively linked to the scandal.

Absolutely. Patriot haters aside (you know who you are), Belichick's assistants videotaping on the sidelines never cost anyone time on the field.
Spygate does pale in comparison. Doesn't change the fact that Belicheat's a classless jerk, but Spygate does seem minor by comparison. :laugh:

While I think the Saints should be punished, I also think many if not most teams run the same system...so it is a bit unfair to single out N.O....

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Archived