Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2012-2013 Thread

Geoff Grace

and Tebow to the Jets for a 4th rounder...

ai ai, glad I stopped liking the Jets!

I don't get it. The Jets ended the season with a locker room in disarray, so they add this? I have three emoticons for this, though I'm not sure which best carries my reaction: :rolleyes::facepalm::snax:

That's a curious move indeed by the Jets.

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets needed to make a move like this. Not sure if Tebow was the right guy but it is good they added a relatively high profile backup quarterback.

Last year Sanchez was like .... Big friggin' whoop when he was threatened with being benched by Ryan. Sanchez knew there was no decent number 2 alternative at QB. My guess is this is about providing additional incentive for Sanchez.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

at the risk of dividing an already fractious lockerroom and polarising the fanbase? Ryan sure doe like his circuses..:facepalm:

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Persoanlly I would have aggressively went after Orton if I was the Jets GM and wanted to make a move like this.

Ryan didn't make this move. This would have been Mike Tannenbaum's responsibility.

The move will make sense especially if the Jets use Tebow as a H-back/TE. IMO, it is a waste of time trying to mold him into an NFL QB. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Peyton Manning better not get hurt. Broncos are looking at Caleb Hanie as a backup QB. That won't work so good if he actually has to play a lot of minutes.

That crazy wildcat coach Tony Sparano is in NY isn't he? he is probably the guy that wanted Tebow.

1) Payton and Williams both got what they deserved for lying to the league about their program and running it anyway.

2) Two 2nd rounders for this? Really? The Pats lost a 1st because someone was filming from the sidelines instead of the OC booth, and the Saints only lose two 2nds for running a bounty program that included "cart-off" bonuses? Really? Really?!?! If I were Goodell, the Saints wouldn't be drafting at all this year.

3) Tebow to who really cares? If he's brought into NY (or anywhere else) to run the wildcat, it really doesn't matter. The wildcat is dead. He's not going to be any better at it than any other power back/ineffectual running QB. The way to make use of him is to put him on the field in a power formation as a fullback - and for the most part, use him as such. The mere threat that he could get the ball and wing it downfield will keep teams from stacking the box and make it easier for the ground game to work.

Bounty systems are not new. Coaches have been doing insentive programs before I was born.

But I do hear the Harrison and Suh are PO'd because they were doing it for free.

I wouldn't doubt the possibility that the Saints got the bounty idea from listening to some of Billy Kilmer's war stories of how defenses put a bounty on his head when he played for the Saints in the 60s.

The teams can work that back-pay contract out easily enough. Hadn't Denver already paid Tebow? They can waive a pay-back, unless the clause has money owed to Tebow as trade language as baggage. The Jets ought to make him a utility infielder, starting with tight end.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I understood the article to say that Denver wanted the Jets to pay them some of the bonus money they have already paid Tebow...whether they work it out depends on how much Denver wants the money...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Bounty systems are not new. Coaches have been doing insentive programs before I was born.

I'm aware - difference here is, the Saints were specifically approached about this by the league office, denied it flatly, and kept doing it right under everyone's noses.

I'm aware - difference here is, the Saints were specifically approached about this by the league office, denied it flatly, and kept doing it right under everyone's noses.

Indeed. It's also a new day where player safety is the #1 concern. The NFL is currently facing at least 20 lawsuits regarding concussions from former players. They needed to drop the hammer hard in this case to let every other team with a bounty system that hadn't been revealed know that the 'death penalty' is a very real possibility for management and coaches administering a bounty system.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

The NHL has been watching this case pretty closely. I am not sure if the Canadian hockey folks truly understand the possible implications the US legal system bring to the NHL.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20216515/tim-tebow-traded-jets

Let me get this straight - the Jets did not read Tebow's contract??? How could they miss a $5 million difference???

"The contract says any team acquiring Tebow has to kick back more than $5 million to the Broncos in advanced salaries from the 2012, 2013 and 2014 seasons, according to an NFL source.

This is what the Jets thought was Tebow's remaining contract: $1.1 million in 2012; $1.055 million in 2013; $895,000 in 2014.

Three years, $3.05 million. Instead, they're looking at three years, $8.11 million."

2) Two 2nd rounders for this? Really? The Pats lost a 1st because someone was filming from the sidelines instead of the OC booth, and the Saints only lose two 2nds for running a bounty program that included "cart-off" bonuses? Really? Really?!?! If I were Goodell, the Saints wouldn't be drafting at all this year.
While I get what you're saying, when you consider the whole package of punishment, the Saints are really hit hard.

What gets me is that I just read an article saying that most felt this wouldn't put an asterisk next to their Super Bowl win, while the Pats win does, they felt. I understand that a lot of the Saints success was due to Brees and the offense, but they were still doing this defensively. Their excuse seemed to be mostly that there weren't a lot of penalties and the like along the way to the SB win, but if the charges were based on penalties alone, we might not have this whole scandal, would we?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

While I get what you're saying, when you consider the whole package of punishment, the Saints are really hit hard.

I feel like Sean Payton's punishment is his, not the team's. Yes, it hurts the team, but it hurts him directly a lot more (7.5M). Same with the GM who is gone for half a season. Greg Williams is getting his - and if there is anything just about Goodell's office, he will never work in the NFL again.

Look at Spygate - the team was fined, they forfeited a pick (the same one NO would have lost this year if they had lost a 1st), and Belichick was fined. Everyone got hit, but the team took a bigger long-term hit from losing that first-rounder (and people here and elsewhere were screaming about how unfair it was that they didn't have to surrender the #7 pick they got from SF instead of the #32 they did).

Fact is, the NFLPA is still discussing the situation regarding the players involved, and will be reporting back to Goodell with their recommendations regarding discipline. It may well wind up that NO's defense is destroyed this year, and that will make them suffer as well.

However, players that were involved but no longer with the team may well get hit too - and that will only hurt the teams they are with now, much the same way Greg Williams' suspension hurts the Rams, not the Saints.

No, I believe one has to evaluate the punishment handed to the team separately from punishments handed to individuals. Yes, the Saints pay a half-million dollar fine, the GM is gone for 8 games, the HC is gone for a year, a number of players will probably be suspended, and they lose a couple of second round picks - but of all those things, only the half-mill and the two 2nd rounders actually hurt the team directly. The rest is collateral damage.

Let me get this straight - the Jets did not read Tebow's contract??? How could they miss a $5 million difference???

Surely there's better lawyers than this in NY?

Indeed. It's also a new day where player safety is the #1 concern. The NFL is currently facing at least 20 lawsuits regarding concussions from former players. They needed to drop the hammer hard in this case to let every other team with a bounty system that hadn't been revealed know that the 'death penalty' is a very real possibility for management and coaches administering a bounty system.

Agreed. Obviously, everyone knew that teams had bounties, but the above reasons gives the league no other choice but to bring the hammer down hard on the Saints.

Surely there's better lawyers than this in NY?

Yeah, but the Jets won't spend the money. :idea::laugh::deadhorse:

On the biggest local NY Sports radio show, Mike Francesa and assorted callers were ripping this all afternoon. The Jets first go after Peyton Manning, dont get him, and then as a show of some sort of good faith, give Sanchez a contract extension. Great! But then, they go make a deal for Tebow, who obviously in one way or another, is going to put some more tension in Sanchez bubble of life. So excited the Jetsters, they rush the news to the media! But wait, theres more! They didnt read the contract! They signed the mortgage without seeing the house. They owe $5 million!

Somehow I think they will settle this with a reasonable agreement for all. Regardless, the Jets are doing it wrong.

Archived