Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2012-2013 Thread

Geoff Grace

I was going to say they should have the Halas and Lombardi trophies taken away, but I see it stopped in 2005.

I think Mickey Loomis should join Gregg Williams in the indefinite suspension department.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Packers bolstered their defense with their first pick in the first round of the draft tonight: USC Trojan defensive end Nick Perry.

As a Packers fan who wants a better defense, and as a former music major who studied orchestration, instrumental conducting, and choral conducting at USC, I'm very happy with this news! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I love, love, love what the Pats did tonight. Dumped the 3rd and 4th and picked up two smart, versatile playmakers for their front 7 in Chandler Jones (speed edge rusher, Syracuse) and Dont'a Hightower (ILB, Alabama)

Betting the two 2nd rounders get spent instead of traded around as well. I'm very happy with the idea of getting 2 quality players and 2 solid prospects instead of a mountain of "maybes", half of which get cut before the end of the preseason.

Looks like the Texans got who they wanted even though they weren't expecting him to be around.

Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak told me they loved Illinois outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus, but there was no way hed be available when they made the 26th pick.

Well, guess what?

Mercilus was available, and they jumped on him even though they really liked Stanford OT Jonathan Martin and George G/T Cordy Glenn as well as Wisconsin offensive linemen Kevin Zeitler and Peter Konz.

Mercilus is 6-3, 1/2, 261. He ran a 4.68 40-yard dash at the combine. In his one season as a starter for Illinois, he had 16 sacks, nine forced fumbles and 22 1/2 tackles for loss. Those are incredible statistics.

Mercilus left school as a junior to take care of his parents, who emigrated from Haiti.

Hes got tremendous upside, just scratching the surface as for what he might be able to do in the NFL. Hes tough and plays hard on every snap. Hes got a great first step and an impressive closing burst to the quarterback. And he plays the run well. All scouts Ive spoken to say he could be better in the NFL because he had only one year of starting experience.

Check this out: When the Texans go to nickel defense, Brian Cushing and Mercilus playing behind Connor Barwin, Brooks Reed, J.J. Watt and Antonio Smith with five defensive backs giving thanks for a front six like that.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/04/mcclain-mercilus-should-make-pass-rush-even-more-formidable/

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

BTW - Luck, RGIII, and Tannehill are all from Texas. It will be fun to see how each develops. Tannehill may be better than he was drafted, being stuck on yet another crappy Aggie team his senior year.

I love, love, love what the Pats did tonight. Dumped the 3rd and 4th and picked up two smart, versatile playmakers for their front 7 ..... Betting the two 2nd rounders get spent instead of traded around as well. I'm very happy with the idea of getting 2 quality players and 2 solid prospects

I agree. The Brady era is nearing an end. Time to add some quality defensive picks. They might add a Safety with a second rounder. The top 3 CBs are gone but there are a few Safeties who might slip

Brandon Taylor, LSU (short only 5' 9") and a couple CBs like UCF Josh Robinson

Yeah, kudos to the Pats actually trading up to get people they wanted. Pretty fun to see all the trades that went on. The Cleveland-Minnesota trade seemed pretty odd to me at the time, but the Browns wanted to make sure they got Richardson.

St. Louis should have fun today.

Frankly, Rich, I think their inability to rush the passer was what created the problems in the secondary. No one can hold coverage for 5-6 seconds.

The 4-3 solved that right?

Hmm...maybe not :)

One thing about very good safeties and very good corners: they are very good in either system.

I think they have one more year to build defense through the draft before going back to the Offensive Line and RB . There are a few interesting RBs available too.

Brady threw for more yards last year with more TDs than any season in his career. 3rd highest rating. On paper he has 4 more years before the post-38 slide and becomes tradeable. A solid RB is usually available through waivers but they might bite in the second.

The Packers bolstered their defense with their first pick in the first round of the draft tonight: USC Trojan defensive end Nick Perry.

As a Packers fan who wants a better defense, and as a former music major who studied orchestration, instrumental conducting, and choral conducting at USC, I'm very happy with this news! :thu:

...And yet more defense:

Packers select Michigan State DT Jerel Worthy in second round

Vanderbilt CB Casey Hayward to Packers

:thu:

Best,

Geoff

And Gerry Reese actually goes RB WR before grabbing a CB in round 3.

I like the gamble on an explosive RB, really like it in fact, and the guy is apparently going to be a boon in the return game, assuming ball security is what it needs to be.

Funny thing that RBs, at one of the most instinctual positions on the field, often have such a delayed path to "startability" because of the intricacies of NFL pass protection. I hope this kid Wilson can be a third down play maker right away, but the NYG are notoriously conservative in the way...well, in the way they do everything, including integrating young RBs.

But I remember how many big plays Bradshaw made as a rookie down the stretch in '07.

DJ Ware is not anything more than a serviceable multi-purpose back, a "practice squad hero." Barndon Jacobs is gone and Bradshaw is breaking down in that protracted way that RBs do. Da'Rel Scott looked good n preseason last year, and now this guy Wilson. Really hoping for some explosive talent at this position this year!

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Funny thing: I happened to be in the neighborhood of Radio City Music Hall on Thursday night (taking my son to Town Hall to see Punch Brothers--an extremely talented band of precisely no interest to keyboard players ;) ). I had forgotten the draft was in town. After the show, we wandered north to get out of the hideousness of midtown and find a modest diner--passed right by Radio City. It only took me a few minutes to figure out why thousands in the streets were wearing football jerseys...
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Well, the Packers went with defense the whole draft up until the 7th round, when they picked up an OT--Andrew Datko (Florida State)--and a QB--B.J. Coleman (Tennessee-Chattanooga).

More here:

http://blog.packers.com/2012/04/28/meet-the-draft-picks/

Best,

Geoff

Case Keenum (University of Houston, the NCAA's all-time leader in total passing yards, touchdowns, and completions) didn't get drafted, but got signed by the Texans as a free agent to play behind Schaub and Yates. :thu:

Well, I see plenty of people are as curious as I am why the Skins picked Cousins. You make a bold move to grab the starter of you franchise and then use another valuable high pick to draft your backup? I've heard it twisted several ways, one that Shanahan will groom him to use as trade bait in the future. :idk

After going with defense for top 3 picks (all three being former team captains, coincidentally - or not), the Chargers draft for depth at TE, OG, C, and RB. With Gates getting up in years, the thinking for some is that Ladarius Green (TE) will be developed as his eventual replacement.

Well, I see plenty of people are as curious as I am why the Skins picked Cousins. You make a bold move to grab the starter of you franchise and then use another valuable high pick to draft your backup? I've heard it twisted several ways, one that Shanahan will groom him to use as trade bait in the future. :idk
Yeah, with what they traded to get RG3, they basically used 5 picks on 2 QBs. Odd at best
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Yeah, with what they traded to get RG3, they basically used 5 picks on 2 QBs. Odd at best

One thought was Cousins was a 2nd round pick who fell due to the nature of this year's draft. It made him the best available player at the time and the Skins will be able to trade him in the future and get 2nd round pick or multilple lower picks back in return. So in effect they may be able to get a 2nd round pick for their 4th rounder. ........... BUT this has been tried in the past and often does not pan out.

Another thing is RG III likes to run. QB who like to run get hurt. But I still don't like Washington's move.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Can't say I'm shocked at all. I observed the way he treated a bunch of kids that had been waiting for 2 hours after a game just to see him and maybe get an autograph, or even a friendly nod. He was a dick. Never liked him one bit after seeing that.

Buccaneers sign Eric LeGrand

In a symbolic gesture, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed Rutgers defensive tackle Eric LeGrand, whose playing career was ended by a spinal cord injury, on Wednesday morning.

LeGrand played for Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano at Rutgers. In a game Oct. 16, 2010, against Army, LeGrand suffered fractures of two vertebrae and a spinal cord injury.

Leading up to the draft, I couldn't help but think that this should've been Eric's draft class. ... This small gesture is the least we could do to recognize his character, spirit and perseverance.

-- Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano,

on signing Eric LeGrand

:thu:

Seau had a chance to give Tony Gwynn a real contest for the right to be called "Mr. San Diego" but he did have some character missteps like the one steadyb describes. He must have had kind of demon inside to take his own life like that.

Archived