Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2012-2013 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to ProfD, Noah, and Bill. RGIII had quite a fine debut. With only a few exceptions (none of which really hurt the team), his decision-making was solid, his accuracy excellent, and execution was sharp. The Shanahans called some option plays for him, but otherwise he was always looking downfield for a bigger play whenever he ran.

The score may not reflect it, but the defense had a better than expected game against the elite Saints O, especially with 3rd string safeties in that secondary. I'm not a Skins fan, but I did want to see how RGIII would do on the road against one of the NFC elites. Last thing I expected was a near-shootout with him coming out on top.

Condolences, Geoff. That was the premier matchup of the week - props to the Niners for making a statement in the hostile Lambeau environment. I didn't expect much from Moss after his lackluster stopovers in Tennessee and Minny, but he did make a difference for the Niners O today.

Raiders run defense was impressive. I hated to see ex-SDSU LB Burris go to the Raiders but I have to admit he looked good. McFadden is a beast when healthy.

I was pleased with the Charger D under new coordinator John Pagano. Run defense tightened and QB pressure increased as the game progressed. Opportunities for big pass plays were very limited until Pagano started sending in backups in the 4th quarter.

Thanks to the Raiders' mistakes, the Charger O didn't have to do much. They were forced to start undrafted rookie Harris at left tackle. His run-blocking wasn't great, but he did well at his primary job that night, which was to protect Rivers, and help erase the memory of the Raiders' Wimbley sacking Rivers 4x. The Charger O has some things to work on, but they produced just enough to secure a win. Kaeding looked good.

I have never seen anything like what the Raiders are going through without their long snapper.

It's my fault.

Two weeks ago, thinking about the start of the season, I was talking with my girlfriend about the esoteric aspects of football, and specifically mentioned the long snapper position and how Jon Condo is an unsung hero.

Boom. Jinx. I should have known better.

Aaaaaaaaaand... were back. Welcome, readers new and old, to a new season of Tuesday Morning Keyboard Cornerback! This year, were going to do things a wee bit differently. Ill use this space to talk about about various pools and stuff that apply to the Keyboard Corner, but the more general analysis stuff will reside on my blog. Link below, if youre interested in that kind of thing.

SURVIVAL POOL

In week one of last years Survival Pool, we had the ultimate carnage, with 13 out of 22 players getting the boot. This year, while were only have 15 players, 11 made it past week one, as opposed to just nine from the year before.

Geoff Grace: Week 1 - Chicago -- WON

dB: Week 1 - Detroit -- WON

sakari lindhen: Week 1 - Detroit -- WON

Mark Zeger: Week 1 - Carolina -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

Griffinator: Week 1 - Carolina -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

Jeff Klopmeyer: Week 1 - Baltimore -- WON

Bridog6996: Week 1 - Chicago -- WON

antimatter: Week 1 - Houston -- WON

kanker: Week 1 - Chicago -- WON

Magpel: Week 1 - Detroit -- WON

steadyb: Week 1 - Detroit -- WON

ProfD: Week 1 - NY Giants -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

Mizu: Week 1 - Carolina -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

SHaka40: Week 1 - Detroit -- WON

GovernorSilver: Week 1 - Houston -- WON

Congrats to the winners, and on to next week. Keep dBs solid advice in mind: picking the better teams toward the start of the season isnt always a bad idea.

PICK EM POOL

Theres nothing I like better than a challenge, which is why I purposefully started this years Pick Em Pool in last place. Oh wait, that happened because I suck. Never mind.

Hats off to WhoDat, who pulled an impressive 10 wins in the first week (never an easy feat), with kudos to Geoff Grace and GovernorSilver right behind in second with 9 wins for the week. Nicely done, people. Our high confidence teams were the unanimous choices of the NY Giants (who lost) and Baltimore (who won). And, despite my absolutely terrible 6-win week, I have to award myself the BPOTW (Ballsy Pick of the Week, brought to you by the Bean Counter Coffee House of Redondo Beach, CA) for being the only person who thought Tampa Bay had a shot against Carolina.

Here are the weekly results, with total season wins in parenthesis...

WhoDat!?: 10 (10)

Geoff Grace: 9 (9)

GovernorSilver: 9 (9)

Allyourpicksarebelongtous: 8 (8)

dB: 8 (8)

kanker: 8 (8)

ProfD: 8 (8)

Mizu: 7 (7)

Magpel: 7 (7)

bridog: 7 (7)

antimatter: 6 (6)

Saku: 6 (6)

JeffDaWeaselNFL2012: 6 (6)

DIVISIONAL MUSINGS

As mentioned on top, my more general analysis can be read on my blog. Check it out here if youd like!

And see you next week!

I want to hate them, but they're so genuinely good year-in and year-out that I have to admit that they deserve their success.

My flying-Elvis hat comes off to you, sir. :D

I'm just thrilled to see the Pats defense playing like they used to back in the first half of the aughts... Granted, it was Jake Locker and the Titans, but still, our front seven is starting to look scary again, something it hasn't for 5 years...

I will reveal myself now as WhoDat!? I guess I should have used my KB Corner name in the pick 'em pool sign up.

I'm disappointed my Saints let RG3 carve them up like that, and I fully expect they will learn from their errors and rebound, but damn, that was a tough loss to start out a less than ideal season.

Dirk (aka WhoDat?!)

I admit it...I have eight fantasy football teams.

Okay, it's actually eleven...but three of them I'm not really paying that much attention to....no, really - they're on ESPN.com, and I don't like their system or their interface...and five of them I share, each one with a different friend, which is nice because it keeps us in touch....so, it's only really three that I'm managing...

I am not obsessed. :eek::idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Nice win for the Packers. :cool:

Clay Matthews: 3 1/2 sacks. Seven sacks total for Green Bay's defense. Good to see some heart on the other side of the ball again.

That said, if you want Jay Cutler to be around for a whole season, Mike Martz is not your friend.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Nice win for the Packers. :cool:

Clay Matthews: 3 1/2 sacks. Seven sacks total for Green Bay's defense. Good to see some heart on the other side of the ball again.

That said, if you want Jay Cutler to be around for a whole season, Mike Martz is not your friend.

Best,

Geoff

But Martz no longer coaches there,,,Tice is now OC.

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Against the 49ers, I thought the Packers defense would be in for a long season. They showed up and off in last night. I hope they can sustain it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

You'd think Jay Cutler would have learned to keep his big mouth shut by now, but noooooooo....he has a good game against the Mighty Colts and all of a sudden he's talking trash to the Packers D....going into Lambeau, no less. :facepalm:

That worked out well for him, huh? :rolleyes::D

Bet they're just loving him in Chicago right about now. :eek::poke:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Hope you Fantasy guys had your NYG receivers starting today. Hope you didn't bench Cruz 'cause of the drops last week.

What a game. What a display from Eli, bouncing back from a 3-int first half to lead 6 second half scoring drives and pass for 510 (!!) yards.

There's a lot wrong with this Giants team. They couldn't cover me. But man did they show what's right about them today also.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived