Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2012-2013 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No clear front runner in the NFC East race. Skins O looks more dynamic under RG3, but the D make the Rams look like the Greatest Show on Turf. Cowboys were dominated by the Seahawks. Giants are once again an enigma. Not sold on the Eagles.

How about that NFC West? All four teams won today (presuming the 49ers continue to prevail over Detroit tonight). Arizona even beat New England!

They don't look like a cellar division this year.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Eli is my QB in my $ leagues. :thu:

dB

Having Watched Eli closely through his "big interception year" and last season, it was amazing how many of his picks were due to misreads by receivers (Manningham especially--watch out SF) and how many were balls that bounced right off the hands of receivers.

Not so yesterday. His three first half picks yesterday were either terrible passes or poor decisions or both. But that is what made that 510 yards so amazing. He needed every last one of them to win the game.

Giants have a bear of a schedule this year. I just compared it to the Packers and the Patriots. I see those two teams cruising to 12 or 13-win seasons. The disparity hardly seems fair!

Last year the Giants were, at 9-7, the only team from the NFC East to make the playoffs. I am not sure how it is that this year, SEVEN of last year's playoff team are on the schedule.

We drew the AFC North for inter-conference this year, with three playoff teams. But in non division games: Green Bay, San Francisco, Atlanta, AND New Orleans? That's like, uh, all the other NFC playoff teams last year except Detroit.

It's going to be a scramble to get to ten wins.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Hope you Fantasy guys had your NYG receivers starting today. Hope you didn't bench Cruz 'cause of the drops last week.

First rule of FF - never bench your stars. Cruz started for me today and delivered a monster performance.

On the other hand, I also made a pure gut call by starting RG3 over Flacco because I didn't particularly care for Joe vs. the Philly secondary - and it paid off in spades...

I think Strahan may have had it right when he said on the picks, the Bucs knew where Eli was going on certain plays thanks to them now employing former Giants QB coach Mike Sullivan.

And there sure was a lot of holding going on. The refs did call a few, but there was a lot of it going around. Can't blame them though, seems everyone is trying to get what they can get from the replacement refs.

Good game :thu:

No clear front runner in the NFC East race. Skins O looks more dynamic under RG3, but the D make the Rams look like the Greatest Show on Turf. Cowboys were dominated by the Seahawks. Giants are once again an enigma. Not sold on the Eagles.

How about that NFC West? All four teams won today (presuming the 49ers continue to prevail over Detroit tonight). Arizona even beat New England!

How about the NFC West? Well, they do have a clear front runner unlike the NFC East - the San Francisco 49ers. Their defense continues to play in a class of its own, and the offense had made strides. However, the rest of the division looks improved - at least in this young season.

It is a young season, but having seen both 49er games so far, it is hard not to be impressed. The defense looks every bit as good as last year's and the offense--well, let's be measured here--looks like the kind of offense that will be able to do a bit more than "just don't lose the game."
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

It's only halftime, but it's starting to look like someone is pulling a Peyton Manning...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Is this a plot by the NFL to get us to appreciate the real refs? Or a plot by the striking refs to get us to demand them back? :idk::rolleyes:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The outcome of the NE/Arizona game was affected by questionable officiating as well. Woodhead rushed for a TD just before time ran out that was called back for a "hold" that had everyone mystified. I certainly didn't see it. I'd assume I was just being biased by my NE fandom, but the commentators seemed equally perplexed by the call.

Of course, NE still could have won it with the field goal attempt, so they did get a second chance and blew it, but still...

It seems as if these replacement officials are getting worse as time goes on, rather than better. While not every game I've watched thus far has been particularly bad in terms of officiating, I do get the general feeling that these guys are bumbling around out there and not fully up to the task they're taking on.

Hey there Keyboard Cornerites. Heres our weekly recap of NFL/Forum fun with the Week 2 edition of Tuesday Morning Keyboard Cornerback! As I mentioned last week, well keep the news pertaining to our pools here, while Ive moved the general analysis stuff over to my blog (which youre welcome to visit).

SURVIVAL POOL

We started with 15 participants, and just two weeks into the season, were down to five. Its usually one giant upset that slays the Survivalists, and in week two, that was the astounding loss by the Patriots to the lowly Cardinals. Heres the result of that unpredictable event:

Geoff Grace: Chicago -- WON, Green Bay -- WON

Jeff Klopmeyer: Baltimore -- WON, Houston -- WON

antimatter: Houston -- WON, NY Giants -- WON

Bridog6996: Chicago -- WON, Green Bay -- WON

SHaka40: Detroit -- WON, Cincinnati -- WON

dB: Detroit -- WON, New England -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

sakari lindhen: Detroit -- WON, New England -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

kanker: Chicago -- WON, New England -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

Magpel: Detroit -- WON, New England -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

steadyb: Detroit -- WON, New England -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

GovernorSilver: Houston -- WON, Oakland -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

ProfD: NY Giants -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

Mizu: Carolina -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

Mark Zeger: Carolina -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

Griffinator: Carolina -- LOST (ELIMINATED)

Were accepting survival selections now for week three, so get them in!

PICK EM POOL

We had two high-confidence teams this week where all but one of us chose unanimously: one that lost (Oakland), and one that won (San Francisco). Youd have thought that all of us would have taken New England, but dB and GovernorSilver were smart and took that 13.5-point spread. I doubt that either of them knew that the Cardinals would actually win the damn game outright, but hats off to both of them for choosing well. However, our Week Two BPOTW (Ballsy Pick of the Week, brought to you by the thirst-quenching abilities of Dihydrogen Monoxide) goes out to Mizu for his singular choice of the Fins beating the Raiders. Mizu obviously recognized something that should be becoming clear to all of us: the Raiders really suck this year. I mean, more so than usual.

Its a small consolation that this week, then, that I tied Mizu for the weekly top spot with nine wins. Kudos to ProfD for a solid 8-win week. Interestingly, this week is almost an exact flip-flop of last weeks scores, leaving all of us virtually tied for the season so far. Here are the weekly results, with total season wins in parenthesis...

1. JeffDaWeaselNFL2012: 9 (15)

2. Mizu: 9 (16)

3. ProfD: 8 (16)

4. Magpel: 7 (14)

5. antimatter: 7 (13)

6. kanker: 7 (15)

7. Allyourpicksarebelongtous: 7 (15)

8. Saku: 7 (13)

9. GovernorSilver: 6 (15)

10. bridog: 6 (13)

11. dB: 6 (14)

12. Geoff Grace: 5 (14)

13. WhoDat!?: 5 (15)

DIVISIONAL MUSINGS

As mentioned on top, my more general analysis can be read on my blog. Check it out here if you so choose! And see you next week!

watching the tape of the MNF Atrocious officiating. An embarrassment to the league.

It was even more painful to watch live on TV.

Yes, it was. :mad:

Although you can never tell what might have happened were the game called by the right guys/correctly, it's more than likely the "officiating" cost me a FF matchup in one of my two $ leagues. :rolleyes:

What a stupid reason to lose. :facepalm:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I've purposefully avoided talking about officiating in my little column so far this year. I think it was a foregone conclusion that scab refs weren't going to do as good a job as their more highly-trained counterparts. It sucks when it affects your team or your betting, but none of us should be shocked by the mediocre-at-best performance of these guys.

During the pregame, I joked that maybe with both teams playing the no huddle, the game would be over in two hours!

I watched some of the start of the game, two INTs, I think, ;) then watched two hours of The Voice without commercials on DVR. Imagine my surprise when I finished that and come back to the live game and halftime is just about to end! :facepalm:

What a mess.

During the pregame, I joked that maybe with both teams playing the no huddle, the game would be over in two hours!

The incompetent refereeing defeated the purpose of the no-huddle, which is to squeeze in as many plays as possible within a given time frame and leave the D gassed.

I wouldn't mind though if the scab refs slowed down the Falcons no-huddle in San Diego this weekend. :)

I've purposefully avoided talking about officiating in my little column so far this year. I think it was a foregone conclusion that scab refs weren't going to do as good a job as their more highly-trained counterparts. It sucks when it affects your team or your betting, but none of us should be shocked by the mediocre-at-best performance of these guys.

Mediocre-at-best?

They walked off 11 yards on a defensive holding call. It's a 5-yard penalty! That is f***ing atrocious.

You'd think Jay Cutler would have learned to keep his big mouth shut by now, but noooooooo....he has a good game against the Mighty Colts and all of a sudden he's talking trash to the Packers D....going into Lambeau, no less. :facepalm:

That worked out well for him, huh? :rolleyes::D

Bet they're just loving him in Chicago right about now. :eek::poke:

dB

Or here with former Chicagoans. :facepalm:

This article includes a fairly harsh assessment of Manning's performance:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/peyton-manning-is-toast-roger-goodell-is-george-w-bush-and-other-nfl-truths-091812

Dunno if Whitlock said the same about Manning after the Steelers game.

I'm not sure about Manning yet. He's admitted he's not 100%, and from that last game, it doesn't look like he can throw the long ball with any zip, but considering how crappy he started, he did inch toward having an actual chance at winning that game. I'm not sure about him yet.

7. John Fox melted down in the first half of Monday night's Broncos-Falcons game because he witnessed his worst Peyton Manning fears, not because the refs were awful.

LET'S GET NUTS!

NFL fans are a special breed, and they their bring their own brand of craziness on game day.

Berating the refs and talking about the refs were convenient excuses for Fox and ESPN MNF analyst Jon Gruden to avoid the elephant in the room. Manning can't throw the ball accurately or with zip more than 20 yards. Manning is toast. Every time he tried to challenge the middle of the field, the Falcons intercepted his weak pass.

Denver scrapped its game plan after the first quarter. Manning threw sideways the rest of the night. Denver was reduced to dinking and dunking. This was painfully obvious. It was embarrassing listening to Gruden avoid the topic and continue to sing the praises of Manning as he handed the ball to Willis McGahee and threw 8-yard outs to Brandon Stokley.

I get that Manning is ratings gold for TV networks, but Gruden took a dump on his own credibility shilling for Manning in such an obvious manner. Manning used to make the opposition defend the entire field. Thats over. He cant take the top off a defense. On numerous first and second downs, the Falcons walked their safeties up and begged Manning to throw deep. He never even tried. When he threw a few skinny post routes, the passes lacked the customary zip. They got there at about the same time as the safety or corner, who blew up the receiver or defensed the pass.

They walked off 11 yards on a defensive holding call. It's a 5-yard penalty! That is f***ing atrocious.

Mediocre at best, atrocious at worst. That seems about right. :D

All of the games I've watched so far have been quite painful, especially MNF with the Broncos and Falcons. Haven't seen 'em all, so there's probably worse than that, but that was bad enough. It was interfering with the game. Yeeesh.

These Thursday night games are BS. Do they really need three prime time games a week? Really? :rolleyes:

They could have worked in a few games that coincide with bye weeks. These guys haven't had enough time to recover from Sunday. I hope for a good game, but I expect a lesser product with bad officiating. greedy sobs.

Archived