Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

Many thanks JMcS for the heads up about Release 6. As mentioned in a previous post, I only had to copy 6 files since I had already updated to Release 5.

As suggested in Release 6's addendum, I set the new control function "SND.POINT" to "AUTO". This allows a shallower more authentic triggering point for the organ while retaining the deeper triggering point for the extra voices. IMO this greatly improves the SK1's playability when switching between organ and piano.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Hello everyone. This is my first post here so please let me introduce myself. My name is Ken Hall. I live in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. I've been playing Hammonds and clones for decades and have actively participated in several other forums over the years. My current gear list is Nord Stage 88, Nord Stage 76 EX, Numaorgan, Hammond SK1, Voce V5+, Ventilator, QSC K8s and K10s, more guitars than a keyboard player should own, plus my Hammond B3, two 122s and a chopped, two piece 147. I just traded my E3 73 for the SK1 and I'm just getting to know it. This forum has been a huge help and I'll likely have a few questions once I dig in on the SK1. Initially, I spent some time trying to tweak the Leslie sim to my liking, but finally decided to plug the Vent in, which of course sounds incredible. I was surprised by the Numa in that I actually prefer playing it with its onboard sim over the Vent, but the SK1 doesn't seem the same. I would love to hear some tips to improve the onbooard sim. In any case, the SK1 is great and I'll continue to read this forum and learn more about it.

Cheers, Ken

Guys, sorry for chiming in on this thread. I'm trying to determine how the SK-1's 'extra voices' stack up outside of piano/EPs/clavs, which I already know are excellent.

Do any of you, for example, use brass and string patches from the SK-1 in a band setting? Do they suffice as a 'bread and butter' soundset?

OK, I just spent a couple of hours with the SK1 and I'm starting to figure it out ( slow learner! ). The sim is starting to come around and I've got the C/V dialed in nicely too. The more I play, the more I smile and that's got to be a good thing. I'll never let the Vent go, but I might just leave it in the studio after all.......

Cheers, Ken

I agree the EPAmp is the best onboard overdrive but it's still not "right" to my ears for the organ sound I want. I play it through the Ventilator and it immediately feels like a well miked tube leslie to me...Either way the instrument itself is great and carrying it with a Ventilator is waaay easier than carrying around my 300lb chopped A100 :)
Music.

• 2 weeks later...

Release 6 is now available from the Hammond EU site.

Hammond EU

The notes for the release there indicate that after Release 6 is installed SanDisk drives will be compatible. As mentioned in previous posts there are 2 types of USB drive memory and one of them didn't work well in the SK's. This newer memory is used in larger drives to keep the cost down but had some compatibility issues.

I have 2 16Gb drives that I had tried in the past and both had some issues. They are a SanDisk Cruiser and a PNY Attache drive. I had already installed 6 so I tried saving and loading setup files to/from the SanDisk and it worked so I then re-installed 6 and it went well. I then installed Release 5 again and then updated to 6 from the SanDisk and it worked well. I also re-installed 6 from the PNY drive and it went well. One thing I noticed is that when powering on with the SanDisk inserted it takes the checking USB test a lot longer than it does with the PNY drive inserted. It takes about the same amount of time to load a whole setup file though.

Release 6 still isn't available from the Hammond US site.

Here is some information regarding the memory types for anyone who is interested but doesn't feel like looking for it in the older posts:

SLC vs MLC memory

Computer World article

Yes, just update to release 6. Each new update includes all the previous updates. As I understand the notes regarding the SanDisk drives, I think their larger ones will work better after 6 is installed. Smaller drives (4Gb & smaller) from any manufacturer have all worked fine as far as I know.

Updated mine last night from the Japan site. Am really loving the SK-1. What's cool is the 8 pin cable I made for my old XK-1 to control the vent works fine with the SK-1.

Also want to say thanks to JMcS for all your great input on this thread!

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

I'm really enjoying the SK1 and so far it is exceeding my expections. The Ver.6 software was the first thing I did when I got the SK1 and the trigger point is great. Hopefully I'm entitled to at least one dumb question here. Is there any way to build my own library collection with a couple of sounds from each of the libraries available for download? This thing is cool....

If JMcS ever decides to get out of whatever line of work he's in, Hammond could probably not do better in finding a tech support guy....

I know right!

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Version 6 allows you to put the keyboard in 'auto' mode, which

will allow a high trigger point with organ and the normal velocity sensing lower trigger point with extra voices. This feature alone makes the SK1 very competitive with the Electro. The fact that there is velocity sensitivity adjustment as well as multi-timbrality makes it clearly superior as an all in one option in my opinion. Cheers, Ken

The high trigger point is a huge update. Unlike the Electro and Stage, the high trigger point is not constant for the organ. It only works when your only playing organ. When you turn on an extra voice, all sounds are triggered by the lower point. Hopefully there is a way eventually to always have the organ trigger from the high point even if layered with others sounds using the lower point.

I'd be interested how this currently works on the SK2. Anyone?