Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

I don't know if this will work but it is worth a try. One of the MIDI In modes (pg. 110 #2) is EXVOICE. It tells the SK that whatever it receives plays the EV's. Try using that mode and turning on a LM EZ. I don't think the channel matters but set it for one above 3. Turn the MIDI TX channels (pg. 110 #'s 13 - 15) off. I think leaving the RX channels on wouldn't matter. Connect the MIDI Out to the MIDI In. If it works, the LM should play the organ at the high point and send velocity to trigger the EV.

Good Luck.

There has been discusion in the past on making an 8 pin cable to control the Neo Ventilator from your SK organ. The hardest part was soldering the wire to the tiny pins on the DIN connector. I made one for use with my XK-1 which used the DIN part to control the vent speed and used a seperate 1/4" cable to carry the audio from the organ to the vent. Since I now have an SK-1, I decided to make one that carries speed control as well as audio and in doing this, found an easier way to construct this cable.

I went into this deciding to make two cables (always good to have a spare). I purchased 3' of 1/4" TRS cable and 3' of 1/4" TS cable (also know as stereo and instrument cable) and 10' of 8 pin DIN cable. This will give me two cables of approx 6.5' (you can cut the cable to any length you want or buy a longer DIN cable for extended runs). Since the 8 pin DIN cable wire is colored to industry wiring standards you can assemble this wire without the need of a multi-meter to determine which wire goes to what pin.

Here is the 8 pin DIN wire color to pin standard:

Pin 1 Brown

Pin 2 Red

Pin 3 Orange

Pin 4 Yellow

Pin 5 Green

Pin 6 Blue

Pin 7 Violet

Pin 8 Grey

Bare wire - metal shield

Here are the pin assignments that work with the Neo ventilator:

Pin 1 Audio out (rotary only, not extra voice)

Pin 2 Leslie detect

Pin 5 Ground

Pin 7 Fast speed

Pin 8 Slow speed

Not used - Pins 3,4,and 6

All you have to do it strip the ends you cut and solder/heat shrink the bare ends by matching up the color wire from the DIN cable to the appropriate wire on the TRS/TS cable.

Here's how it goes:

Pin 1 (brown wire) solders to the hot (tip) of the TS cable.

Pin 7 (violet wire) solders to the ring (white or black color) of the TRS cable.

Pin 8 (grey wire) solders to the tip (red wire) of the TRS cable.

Pins 2,5 and the shield wire solder to both shield wires from the TS/TRS cable.

You should shrink each wire separately, then shrink the whole cable as one (don't forget to slide the shrink tubing on before you solder). You now have a completed cable with factory made ends.

I look at the vent as a Leslie speaker in that I only want organ sounds going through it. By using the 8 pin cable, I can control the vent from the SK's Leslie controls (I also use a foot switch hooked up to the SK to control the speed as well) and the extra voices are now routed through the SK's L/R line out's. The 8 pin cable also turns off the internal Leslie effect when plugged in but when unplugged, the internal effect is back on. This way, you can still save a patch's Leslie effect that can be used if your not using the vent.

Hope this helps those of you who do this kind of stuff.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Something else I found out in doing the 8 pin DIN cable....

When the ventilator and the SK's line out are hooked up to a mixer, put on a pair of headphones, select an organ only program and unplug the 8 pin cable while holding a cord. The SK switches immediately to the internal sim. When you plug it back in, it switches right back to Ventilator. Balance the volume of each in the mixer and now you can do an instant direct comparison between the two sims.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Hi!

I have hammond sk and Neo instruments ventilator - great combination for me, but I think that have a problem! I used the stereo cable and also a special hammond Sk to neo ventilator cable. Outputs involved in the stereo amp that also shows on the display which channel is active. When I ,,turned off bypass,, - its important for me, always showed only one single active channel output L. Why not played the second channel output R/mono. In my opinion both channels should play one time to stereo or no? When I ,,turned on,, bypass the both channels are active and sound played stereo. I try out solder - but to my suprise when I off bypass not changed! And when I turned on bypass sound was also mono - played only one channel. I think there was an error, outputs R/mono does not work is it not normal IMO. Thanks for your help and sorry for english! Good luck!

I don't know if this will work but it is worth a try. One of the MIDI In modes (pg. 110 #2) is EXVOICE. It tells the SK that whatever it receives plays the EV's. Try using that mode and turning on a LM EZ. I don't think the channel matters but set it for one above 3. Turn the MIDI TX channels (pg. 110 #'s 13 - 15) off. I think leaving the RX channels on wouldn't matter. Connect the MIDI Out to the MIDI In. If it works, the LM should play the organ at the high point and send velocity to trigger the EV.

Good Luck.

I tried this today and it doesn't work for having the organ trigger high and the EV trigger low. I was able to get it to trigger both the organ and EV at the high point without velocity though. So this won't work for pianos or anything that requires velocity but it did work nicely for mixing in synth. voices etc.

Here's a cool trick I discovered when pairing the SK with a Ventilator. The Vent is known for having better overdrive than the SK, but I've found that using a little bit of overdrive from both sources sounds better than either one by itself. So set the drive in both the Vent and the SK at about half of where you'd normally want them. That gives you a nice warm purr which, to my ears, sounds better than either one individually. I discovered this accidentally, by forgetting to turn off the SK's internal overdrive. But it was a happy mistake.

I have also made that mistake, but i didnt liked the mixed overdrive (like different frequences or something), the overdrive on the vent is much more warmer.

I never use programs. I always have the "manual" button down and when i want EP on the other manual i press solo /upper or lower depends on if i use perc on the organ. I like to play EP on top.

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

Hi all,

I just got an 8 pin DIN connector and wired up the interface to my Ventilator. I've had the SK1 for a couple of weeks now and I've been enjoying it but I have intentionally avoided the Vent until now. So, this thing with the Vent is truly an amazing combination. The Vent control is spot-on and together they sound wonderful. The onboard sim is very good and certainly good enough for rehearsals and one-set gigs, but through the Vent this thing is a Hammond and Leslie..... Love it!

Ken

Had you recently done an OS update? That can reset the setup. Hopefully you had it saved to the USB drive.

I updated to V6 a few weeks ago. It's the changes since then. Luckily, it wasn't many changes. Maybe a dozen modified user presets, some Leslie tweaks, and my 10 favorite buttons assigned. Did a handful of gigs and rehearsals with no problem. Last night I turned it on and they were all gone. I'll back up to USB next time. Not a big problem this time, but wow... watch out and make sure you back up your settings!

Hi,

Am I correct in understanding that the SK1 should respond to external pitch bend and modulation information? I have mine mated with a Nord Stage and it should be possible to use the pitch stick and mod wheel with the SK1 as long is it can deal with it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Ken

I've spent a lot of time fine tuning, tweaking the internal leslie sim in my studio and on gigs and have the vent. Vent still an ENORMOUS improvement. Thought I had the sim sounding great many times then plug in the vent and A/B them and the vent is just better. Plus the overdrive on the vent is waaaaaaay better than the overdrive on the SK. SK is still a fabulous instrument but the vent takes it to the next level.
Music.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, an attached keyboard can act as a lower organ manual (or upper if you prefer) it can also act as a controller for the EVs if you want to use a more piano like keyboard. See pg. 110 #1. Also, the Release 6 update adds 2 new MIDI modes, so see the readme file in the update ZIP file.