Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

I'm hoping in the next OS update they will allow the extra voices to be saved with their own "master volume", independent of the volume knob but before the actually Master Volume knob. Too many of the extra voices are either far too soft or far too loud, depending on the effects.

Here we go: Adjustable tonewheels and pipes, EZ program change can be turned off.

Release 7 update

Here is the readme:

Updated Areas:

- Added the function that load and save a Patch individually.

- Editing the Custom Tonewheel has added.

- Editing the Pipe has added.

- Initial MIDI IN mode has been set at "PEDAL" (SK2 only).

- Sending Program Change of the External Zones can be on and off by MIDI - MAST - PROG parameter.

- Added display lock function.

This updator includes a part of owner's manual as addendum. Please download separately for complete and latest owner's maual from our web site.

Thanks for the Newsflash about the OS7 update. I just did it in ~10 minutes on my SK1 with no problem. Of course, I only had to load 5 or 6 files since I've done all the previous updates.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Does anyone know of a way to assign reverb to extra voices independant of organ on the SK1/SK2? For example, I want a bit of reverb on horn voices but prefer to keep the organ dry; is there a way to do it? Based on the manual it appears not, however I may have missed something.

Much as I missed my half-moon leslie switch (and the Roland's paddle), I just couldn't bring myself to pay $179 for one, much less the $224 MSRP. I'm no engineer, but it didn't seem that complicated to me. I bought a Telecaster (3 position) pick-up switch on ebay for $7, a 1X2X3 plastic project box from Radio Shack for $3.50, and scrounged an old scrap of 2-conductor, braided shield cable with a 1/4" stereo connector. It took me about 2 minutes with an Ohm meter to figure out how the switch worked, 10 minutes to wire the switch, 15 minutes with a saber-saw and a drill to prep the box, 5 minutes to assemble and test. Mounted it with gaff tape and velcro - just like you have to do with the CU-1 since there are no pre-drilled mounting holes on the SK-1. Dove into the menu and set up the footswitch jack for the CU-1. Works great! All together, about an hour and $10.50 saved me $168.50. You can do this. Yes, YOU!

(And Dgas: Nope, there's no way to do it. "Reverb is common with the Organ and Extra Voices sections, the single reverb control section affects both." - pg 97. I'm the same way, prefer the organ dry. I preset the level for piano and ep patches (don't do horns) and save the patch with the reverb switch off; engage it as needed.)

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Much as I missed my half-moon leslie switch (and the Roland's paddle), I just couldn't bring myself to pay $179 for one, much less the $224 MSRP. I'm no engineer, but it didn't seem that complicated to me. I bought a Telecaster (3 position) pick-up switch on ebay for $7, a 1X2X3 plastic project box from Radio Shack for $3.50, and scrounged an old scrap of 2-conductor, braided shield cable with a 1/4" stereo connector. It took me about 2 minutes with an Ohm meter to figure out how the switch worked, 10 minutes to wire the switch, 15 minutes with a saber-saw and a drill to prep the box, 5 minutes to assemble and test. Mounted it with gaff tape and velcro - just like you have to do with the CU-1 since there are no pre-drilled mounting holes on the SK-1. Dove into the menu and set up the footswitch jack for the CU-1. Works great! All together, about an hour and $10.50 saved me $168.50. You can do this. Yes, YOU!

(And Dgas: Nope, there's no way to do it. "Reverb is common with the Organ and Extra Voices sections, the single reverb control section affects both." - pg 97. I'm the same way, prefer the organ dry. I preset the level for piano and ep patches (don't do horns) and save the patch with the reverb switch off; engage it as needed.)

On the SK2 there are pre-drilled mounting holes in the bottom of the keyboard.

That's very nice for those who own an SK-2.... and who have a spare $179 to throw down for $7 switch in a pretty half-moon-shaped plastic box. I have neither. :/

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

• 2 weeks later...

really enjoyed it. nice chops. wondering if you made any important changes to the keyboard (edits from original default), namely key click, percussion, etc. also wondering what your opinion is regarding the ventilator. well worth the cost and is it that much of an improvement?

I purchased the Hammond expression pedal. to me, it feels and responds nowhere near to the pedal on a b3 or c3. to me the Hammond pedal is basically a volume pedal, not an expression pedal. to me use of the b3 pedal is very important to Hammond playing. any suggestions to improve the pedal. thank you in advance.....Larry

A pedal is just a pedal, how it affects the sound is what matters. That is determined by the settings on Pg. 78 & 79 #'s 4 - 10 and pg. 88 #2 or pg. 92 #2 in the updated manual).

Which pedal do you have, the EXP-20 or EXP-50?

just for fun....

and definitely useless!!!!!

:-)))))

I'm trying to "clone" my vintage C3 into my friend's SK2 (using the new system upgrade, with single tonewheel adjustments).

it will take a long time, as I need to do it note by note, key by key, drawbar by drawbar....

at the moment I just adjusted 2 or three values in the last upper octave, and this is the result using for both organs a Ventilator.

--> C3 hammond

(this one:

)

--> Tube Organ Drive

http://www.hammond.de/organ_drive.html

--> Ventilator

(drive coming from Tube Organ Drive)

and

--> SK2

--> his internal tube simulation drive

--> Ventilator

(drive from SK2 internal tube simulation)

backing track played by myself.

listen trying NOT to look at the video....

:-))))))

as you can hear, in a rock mix and with the same leslie (or simulation), it's difficult to tell who is who (this is also valid using the Crumar Mojo and the KEyBDuo as well).

obviously, if you listen to them ALONE, one by one, the difference is evident, expecially for keyclick and percussion.

here it is, just for fun :-))))

(select HD)

ciao!

Marco

Hello, I picked up a SK1 last week and I love it. I played with a Christian hard rock group Monday night and I i'm so pleased with. 1/4 to their pa and I really thought is sounded like my 122. I did the update 7 with no problem. I started to do the downloads for the new library and some of the new voices loaded but then it stopped before they all loaded. It acts like a problem for lack of space. Should the keyboard handle the system on it, the update 7 and the remaining downloads from their web site?
1954 B2, 1972 Porta B, Hammond XB2, Hammond Sk1, Roland Juno DS 61,1972 Leslie 122 RV,31H Tallboy, Leslie 2101 MKII and A Purveyor Of Fine Hand Made Quality Duck Calls and Turkey Calls.

The memory for the OS and system libraries is different from the memory for the additional libraries. There is not enough space to hold all (or even most) of the additional libraries. First, make sure you have the system libraries (those that are in the zip update file) in the system folder - and not the library folder - on the USB drive. Second, the additional Libraries can only be loaded one at a time and the display shows how much memory remains available when you go to the install menu page.

There are two types of setup files, "Setup" and "Whole". A basic Setup file holds just the menu parameters etc. A Whole setup file includes all the menu parameters plus all of the installed additional Libraries. This is so that any patches you create will have the EV libraries associated with them installed. You can save a Whole setup with one group of Patches/libraries and another (or many) Whole setups with different combinations of Patches/Libraries.

Tonight's going to be my first opportunity to play my new SK1 with other band members. I think they are as excited as I am about having that Hammond sound in the mix. :-) Tonight will be my first stab at playing left hand bass using the Hammond's Pedal Bass on the split (73 key) keyboard. I'll also be using it with Extra Voices: Acoustic Piano; A.Piano w/ Pad; Wurlitzer Piano; and some Accordian. Since my expression pedal will also be controlling the pedal bass volume... I'll be wandering into uncharted territory. In the past I've always played manual bass on the lower split of a Privia PX-3 at a volume level independant of a volume pedal. Should be interesting.

... In the past I've always played manual bass on the lower split of a Privia PX-3 at a volume level independant of a volume pedal. Should be interesting.

Good luck, you will have a fun gig. I've asked the band members in my jazz/blues band which they preferred for bass - the PX3 (using either acoustic or fingered bass) or the SK1, and they all went for the SK.

You can tweak the SK1's expression pedal to not affect low frequencies so much as higher ones. This can allow you to use a normal range of expression without the bass disappearing when you pull back.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …